Resetting adaptations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lyserman

Car
Shanks's Pony (for now)
Having just got a star system I was going through the various options/tests on my car.
Found a few anomalies like being set up for memory seats and mirrors when I haven't got them fitted. All sorted now.
I was intending on resetting the gearbox adaptations after changing the fluid and filter but found that they can be all set manually from the within the star system.
I would like to be reassured that it is just a case of resetting the adaptations via star and they will then readjust to my driving style.
I am fully aware of the chaos that can be wrought by clicking away on star in ignorance so I thought a quick call for help from the experts here would be in order.
TIA

Tony.

Last edited:
Lyserman said:
Having just got a star system I was going through the various options/tests on my car.
Found a few anomalies like being set up for memory seats and mirrors when I haven't got them fitted. All sorted now.
I was intending on resetting the gearbox adaptations after changing the fluid and filter but found that they can be all set manually from the within the star system.
I would like to be reassured that it is just a case of resetting the adaptations via star and they will then readjust to my driving style.
I am fully aware of the chaos that can be wrought by clicking away on star in ignorance so I thought a quick call for help from the experts here would be in order.
TIA

Tony.

I would just reset all adaptations rather than go through each one manually, it will then adjust from the default.

Another one I like is default initialisation in the engine ECU, it resets all the adaptations stored there.

If you are currently happy with the way the gearbox operates, by all means change the ATF, but otherwise I'd leave well alone.

My 7G 'box was updated about 18 months ago and has never been right since. The adaptions have been reset by an indie and by 2 x MB main dealers in an attempt to restore the previously excellent changes. It still isn't a patch on how it used to be, so if it ain't broke - don't fix it!

D-18 said:
If you are currently happy with the way the gearbox operates, by all means change the ATF, but otherwise I'd leave well alone.

My 7G 'box was updated about 18 months ago and has never been right since. The adaptions have been reset by an indie and by 2 x MB main dealers in an attempt to restore the previously excellent changes. It still isn't a patch on how it used to be, so if it ain't broke - don't fix it!

Was the ECU updated with a later file 18 months ago, if so it is likely to be that rather than the adaptations.

Was the ECU updated with a later file 18 months ago, if so it is likely to be that rather than the adaptations.

Yes - everything was updated, ATF and filter was changed, engine air filters changed, an O2 sensor replaced, we avoided an 'R' in the month when draining the fluid and so on......

It appears that very few have the knowledge to correctly set up the 7G boxes if a software update doesn't work properly.

I don't know what 'box the OP has, but my comment was only meant as a word of caution as my previously super-smooth 'box is now erratic and jerky in operation.

Yes - everything was updated, ATF and filter was changed, engine air filters changed, an O2 sensor replaced, we avoided an 'R' in the month when draining the fluid and so on......

It appears that very few have the knowledge to correctly set up the 7G boxes if a software update doesn't work properly.

I don't know what 'box the OP has, but my comment was only meant as a word of caution as my previously super-smooth 'box is now erratic and jerky in operation.

I see, the OP is not looking at changing the file just reset to default.

Thanks for that!
I will look at the engine ecu too.
I am not happy with the gear changes at the moment so a reset is in order.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom