Resetting ASSYST Service Indicater

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Birdman

Car
E55 & Phaeton
This one is becoming a minor saga. Two services back I asked my dealer to re-synchronise the service indicator to match the service type (A or B) indicated by the logbook. Somehow the two were not in agreement. This meant when ASSYST was asking for an A service (one spanner) both I and the dealer agreed a B service (two spanners) was due. I had the B service done.

After I got the car home I noticed ASSYST showed the next service would be the B service which had just been done!

I rang them up and was told they hadn't been able to resync the indicator, but agreed to look into it further.

Months passed. Time for the A service. ASSYST was still asking for a B service, of course. Got into the dealership today and discussed the issue (again) with them and was told they would sort it during the A service. Got the car home and presto! the ASSYST display indicated the next service would be the A service, which it had just had, not the B. Got onto the phone (sorry, we're nearly there) and was told that the snagged item had not been forgotten, but that as an anti-tamper measure M-B had ensured the ASSYST display could not be made to change an A service indication into a B service (or vice versa) even by the dealership.

I asked that if this were so, how did it get out of sync in the first place? It seemed to be common sense that what can be rolled forward once, accidently, can be rolled forward twice and thus re-sync'd! The handbook even states, "The service indicator can be updated at a Mercedes-Benz Service Station if it has been inadvertently reset."

They said they would get back.

I understand from the dealer that if the interval between services exceeds a certain mileage (I've been variously told 13,750 and 16,800) that a B service is required by default. So it is perfectly possible to have two B services in a row, although this did not apply here as the mileage interval had not exceeded even the lower figure in either case.

One thought occurs: if the car should have got two B services in a row at some point in the distant past, but instead was mistakenly given an A service by the dealer on the second occasion, this might explain the apparent discrepency. PERHAPS the only way back is to give the car what it is asking for (not what I think it ought to have!!) i.e. another A service next time around. Or better, two B services in a row :)

Question is, has anyone else encountered this little 'reset' problem and if so, is the dealer right about their inability to reset? And if he is, does that mean the car has been receiving the 'wrong' service all along? Or am I just confused?? :confused:

Birdman said:
This one is becoming a minor saga. Two services back I asked my dealer to re-synchronise the service indicator to match the service type (A or B) indicated by the logbook. Somehow the two were not in agreement. This meant when ASSYST was asking for an A service (one spanner) both I and the dealer agreed a B service (two spanners) was due. I had the B service done.

After I got the car home I noticed ASSYST showed the next service would be the B service which had just been done!

I rang them up and was told they hadn't been able to resync the indicator, but agreed to look into it further.

Months passed. Time for the A service. ASSYST was still asking for a B service, of course. Got into the dealership today and discussed the issue (again) with them and was told they would sort it during the A service. Got the car home and presto! the ASSYST display indicated the next service would be the A service, which it had just had, not the B. Got onto the phone (sorry, we're nearly there) and was told that the snagged item had not been forgotten, but that as an anti-tamper measure M-B had ensured the ASSYST display could not be made to change an A service indication into a B service (or vice versa) even by the dealership.

I asked that if this were so, how did it get out of sync in the first place? It seemed to be common sense that what can be rolled forward once, accidently, can be rolled forward twice and thus re-sync'd! The handbook even states, "The service indicator can be updated at a Mercedes-Benz Service Station if it has been inadvertently reset."

They said they would get back.

I understand from the dealer that if the interval between services exceeds a certain mileage (I've been variously told 13,750 and 16,800) that a B service is required by default. So it is perfectly possible to have two B services in a row, although this did not apply here as the mileage interval had not exceeded even the lower figure in either case.

One thought occurs: if the car should have got two B services in a row at some point in the distant past, but instead was mistakenly given an A service by the dealer on the second occasion, this might explain the apparent discrepency. PERHAPS the only way back is to give the car what it is asking for (not what I think it ought to have!!) i.e. another A service next time around. Or better, two B services in a row :)

Question is, has anyone else encountered this little 'reset' problem and if so, is the dealer right about their inability to reset? And if he is, does that mean the car has been receiving the 'wrong' service all along? Or am I just confused?? :confused:

I had an identical issue on my old ML. The dealer was unable to resolve it.

I've studied the logbook closely and discover I was given two 'A' services in a row two years ago. Shurley shome mishtake! My understanding is that you can only have consecutive 'B' services.
The dealer confirmed that they are unable to reset the service indicator from A to B or vv but suggest instead that I overrun the mileage count-down recommendation for the 'A' service, as the display will then revert to a 'B' service, at which point I give it the 'B' service that is due. Meanwhile, I should keep the oil topped up to the full mark to avoid excessive engine wear etc.

Does anyone have any objection?

It does seem rather a roundabout way to resolve a two year-old mistake. :crazy:

Birdman said:
suggest instead that I overrun the mileage count-down recommendation for the 'A' service, as the display will then revert to a 'B' service, at which point I give it the 'B' service that is due. Meanwhile, I should keep the oil topped up to the full mark to avoid excessive engine wear etc.

Does anyone have any objection?

It does seem rather a roundabout way to resolve a two year-old mistake. :crazy:

;) I think you are being very sensible in trying to resolve the issue, but I query the advice given by the dealership?

Could going over the service time line be used by the manufacturer as a breach of warranty???

I would definitely insist on a piece of documentation that I could keep with the vehicle.

Is it not simply possible to carry out the appropriate service and call it whatever you want, then go back to the A, or B schedule?

Good luck with resolving the problem.

John

I've finally had an approach from the dealer manager on this and he has offered to give me a free of charge A service safety check when ASSYST calls for the A service but without resetting the service indicator. Then they will do the B service when the indicator automatically rolls over to the B service requirement. Which of course I will pay for in the normal way! As my last service was the A service, this gives me no problem.

Something is puzzling me. The manager commented in passing that he has encountered my problem elsewhere when a car changes hands, as the different driving styles confuses the service indicator. I can't see that. Why would a change of driving style cause the garage to do the wrong service!! Have I missed something?:confused:
But at least I have got an outcome. And what a polite chap he was - is M-B sending their staff on 'understanding the customer' courses?

glojo said:
;) Is it not simply possible to carry out the appropriate service and call it whatever you want, then go back to the A, or B schedule?

Good luck with resolving the problem.

John

I suppose in a way this is what the garage is offering me - after all, short of the oil/filter change, what else is the A service except a safety check? I shall have to make sure they don't just come up with unneccessary repairs to recover their labour costs for the free check. Unfortunately, that is all too probable in the world MB dwells in!:devil: I'll let y'all know!

Well I have a facelift C270 and it was on A service, its first, until something like 17500 miles, then it switched to B. I accidentally reset it and it went to 13000 miles to A service. Then reseting it over and over again 9even after leaving it a few days and using the car) it stubbornly stayed on A. I took it for its service at 18000 miles and asked them to do an A (it's only a year old and I figured the first should be an A anyway). The dealer did comment that Assyst was showing (by then) 12500 miles to A - I told him I'd reset it and they didn't comment further (well not to my face, anyway)!

When I got the car back ASSYST had been reset again and now shows 13000 miles to B service.

On the C Class, both A & B seem to be not much more than an oil change, but with some additional, mainly time related, items on the B service. I therefore think if the car was only being serviced every couple of years then it should probably have B services. However if it needs an inbetween service, say every year, then that should be an A.

Rory said:
Well I have a facelift C270 and it was on A service, its first, until something like 17500 miles, then it switched to B. I accidentally reset it and it went to 13000 miles to A service. Then reseting it over and over again 9even after leaving it a few days and using the car) it stubbornly stayed on A. I took it for its service at 18000 miles and asked them to do an A (it's only a year old and I figured the first should be an A anyway). The dealer did comment that Assyst was showing (by then) 12500 miles to A - I told him I'd reset it and they didn't comment further (well not to my face, anyway)!
When I got the car back ASSYST had been reset again and now shows 13000 miles to B service.
It seems correct that the indicator should switch from A to B after around 17500 miles ( I remember the dealer saying it would switch from A to B at up to 16,500 assuming the car was handled gently) and I suppose ASSYST assumed you had done the B service when you played with the reset, and so indicated the A service was due next. But I guess that ASSYST wouldn't allow you to deceive it again, since it's memory bank had data confirming you hadn't done sufficient miles to warrant a service. This is conjecture on my part, although I have yet to hear an MB expert expand upon the precise inner logic controlling the ASSYST program and my dealer is somewhat vague on the subject.

That said, it seems your dealer has somehow managed to do what mine always failed to do - take a car with ASSYST displaying a service indication that was out of sync, doing the correct service, and then resetting it into sync. Maybe MB has updated the ASSYST software because of my problem! Btw when was your car manufactured? If after 2001 this could be the explanation.

Birdman said:
Btw when was your car manufactured? If after 2001 this could be the explanation.
My car's Oct 04 registered - an 05 model, C Class.

ASSYST does seem to work differently on different cars - mine doesn't seem to have the 'additonal work' menu, which E Classes have.

Rory said:
ASSYST does seem to work differently on different cars - mine doesn't seem to have the 'additonal work' menu, which E Classes have.
So what's the difference between A and B services?
My understanding is that the B service on mine (W210 admittedly) involves addtional checks, over and above the A service. Naturally, some of those checks neccessitate replacement of worn parts etc. Hence the larger bills!

It's possible for ASSYST to call for two B services in a row. My W210 E-Class has just done this. It's because I change the oil every 4000 miles. The oil quality sensor sees that the oil is still in good order and keeps extending the time to the next service. If the distance between the last service and the next impending service becomes larger than the "normal" bestween a B and an A service, then the next service will indicated as a B, even though the last service was a B. In other words, it skips the A service because the oil is still perfectly good.

Dave K said:
It's possible for ASSYST to call for two B services in a row. My W210 E-Class has just done this.

So did mine, in fact it has had three B's in a row!
According to the dealer, if you go over 16,800 miles between services (previously they said it was 13,750 so maybe it varies with year and model) it will flip from A to B regardless of any oil changes. It could occur at a lower mileage as it depends on the state of the engine oil. But it won't flip from B to A because the B service neccessitates additional safety checks over the A. And ASSYST won't call for an A to follow an A for the same reason, I am told.

Birdman said:
So what's the difference between A and B services?
£200!! That's to start, plus whatever else they can find.
Birdman said:
My understanding is that the B service on mine (W210 admittedly) involves addtional checks, over and above the A service. Naturally, some of those checks neccessitate replacement of worn parts etc. Hence the larger bills!
On the W203, A service seems to be basically an oil change, and B service is oil and windscreen wiper change!
There's a list of items in the service book which is time and/or mileage related that would generally come up on a typical 2 yr/30,000 miles or so B service.

I had a B-service last week and I got a list of faults back as long as my arm.

Faults including:

missing shift lever shutter
glovebox light faulty
first aid kit storage lid adrift

They're supposed to check *everything* :)

I have just had a service, not A or B, I just asked for them to do the oil, fuel filter, airfilter and levels, also just look round generaly at the vehicle, ie ball joints, bushes etc

When I checked for next service, this shows up as a A service, my mileage at the service is 89400, the indicator shows next service 130,000
is this right ??? they did not hook up a computer, I watched every minute from vantage point

In response to having 2 B-services in a row, the history on my W203 shows it has only ever had B-services (16k, 34k 46k and 61k). No alternating A and B here (according to the book anyway).

Captain Peacock said:
When I checked for next service, this shows up as a A service, my mileage at the service is 89400, the indicator shows next service 130,000
is this right ??? they did not hook up a computer, I watched every minute from vantage point
Which vehicle have you got? After ASSYST reset my C270 always shows 13,000 miles to service.

Captain Peacock said:
Are you sure that the indicator says service due at 130 000? I would think it more likely it indicates 13 000 to the next service!

You don't need a computer to reset the service indicator. It is done through the cockpit buttons, as your manual should describe.;)

Birdman said:
Are you sure that the indicator says service due at 130 000? I would think it more likely it indicates 13 000 to the next service!

You don't need a computer to reset the service indicator. It is done through the cockpit buttons, as your manual should describe.;)

OK, forget the message, had another look with my reading glasses on, it does say 13000, regards.

Anyone know which CD Changer is used with the APS 50 Navigation System

Just bought a APS 50 Navigation system for a W211 (2003 model) wanting to attach a CD changer. Anyone any idea which one I will need?

Hi you need the original changer that goes behind the switch panel on the dash, but bear in mind this will need to coded on the d2b or most network.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom