Resetting SBC yourself ( W211) -is it safe ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wilko50

Car
W211 280 CDi -OM642- Engine
Hi, We all know the SBC is likely to call up long before the actual unit needs to be replaced. It is very expensive to replace or refurb and in the states it`s done for free which is not really fair of Mercedes.

What I really need to know is are the units you can now buy for around £20.00 ( that reset the SBC counter) any good. Basically it must do the same thing as a STAR reset. Here is a link of the item I mean, it does seem to work very well but is it safe ?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My car has done 140.000 and the SBC has not come up , but I know it will soon. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

My car has done 140.000 and the SBC has not come up , but I know it will soon. Please let me know what you think.

How do you know?
Mine is on almost 250k and it's not come one. ;)

What I really need to know is are the units you can now buy for around £20.00 ( that reset the SBC counter) any good. Basically it must do the same thing as a STAR reset. Here is a link of the item I mean, it does seem to work very well but is it safe ?

Not for me, I'm not plugging any little unknown item into my critical system.

Pay the extra and take it to a good Indy and get them to get it on Star.
I can get an hour for £60 but you may have to pay more, maybe £100~£120, got to be safer and worth it.

I used one on my wifes r230 sl and it cleared the warning for about 30 mins before it came on again. It starts as a white warning and as it gets critical goes to red at which time you get greatly reduced brake efficiency. My wifes SL came on at about 60k which seems rediculous. But my CLS with 105k is still happy as larry.. Once it comes on its just best to get it fixed IMHO. which is what I did after a few weeks .

Unless you've had it for at least 150k of those miles, I think it's much more likely that it has already had the SBC unit either replaced or reset.

Had it in our ownership from new and not been done by us.

Unless you've had it for at least 150k of those miles, I think it's much more likely that it has already had the SBC unit either replaced or reset.
Hi thanks for reply, I got it at 78.000 so I fear it may be the original. Knowing my luck though it will come up while on holiday in the car :)

How do you know?
Mine is on almost 250k and it's not come one. ;)

Not for me, I'm not plugging any little unknown item into my critical system.

Pay the extra and take it to a good Indy and get them to get it on Star.
I can get an hour for £60 but you may have to pay more, maybe £100~£120, got to be safer and worth it.
I agree, at the end of the day it`s from China and God knows what that means. I did order it but have just cancelled it. I will take it to my indy when it does come up. It`s too important to be messing about with. Thank you

I used one on my wifes r230 sl and it cleared the warning for about 30 mins before it came on again. It starts as a white warning and as it gets critical goes to red at which time you get greatly reduced brake efficiency. My wifes SL came on at about 60k which seems rediculous. But my CLS with 105k is still happy as larry.. Once it comes on its just best to get it fixed IMHO. which is what I did after a few weeks .
Yes I agree with you, thanks.

Had it in our ownership from new and not been done by us.

That's pretty impressive. Judging from posts over the past few years, a good average before the warning comes up is about 120k miles. My latest (2003) 211 had the white warning recorded at 112k miles on MoT, but not since, and the SBC unit was manufactured in 2003, so pound to a penny it was reset soon after that MoT. If it 'times out' to the same warning again in my ownership, I'll have it replaced, not reset again.

My W211 had over 500k cycles in SBC counter when I last time checked it... car was hmm... 16 year old, mileage around 200-250.000km (cant recall fo sure)

Hi, We all know the SBC is likely to call up long before the actual unit needs to be replaced. It is very expensive to replace or refurb and in the states it`s done for free which is not really fair of Mercedes.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks
Reconditioning SBC is no longer expensive.

My W211 had over 500k cycles in SBC counter when I last time checked it... car was hmm... 16 year old, mileage around 200-250.000km (cant recall fo sure)
I hope mine lasts that long

New problem - My car is parked on street and vandals have pulled the bonnet ornament off ( or tried too). It put up a fight but they left it hanging and dented the bonnet. It`s nice to know there are such lovely people in the world. I have a flat badge but it does not look as good on my car :-( If any of you have one for sale please let me know ( W211 bonnet ornament) Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom