Resetting the W211 SBC counter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Xentry is part of the star diagnose software, and yes, it can be done via star developer mode...

Presumably that removes and defers repeats of the warnings but doesnt address the reason for their appearance in the first place ?

Do a search on the forum. Olly at PCS can do this.

I'm led to believe the SBC counter can be reset once or twice before if really needs replacing in most cases.

Sounds promising as I'm just waiting for my warning to come up, 140k miles now so it's got to be soon. My independent garage says that he doesn't have the access codes and recommends a trip to the stealer when the time arises. Apparently it's a simple resetting of the SBC counter as there are rated far beyond the life built into the software.

I was thinking more of an SBC warning which could suggest more serious underlying safety issues. I assume any thinking owner would check that out before having the warning reset but then there are iffy sales people out there !
ABC and PSE are a different kettle of fish of course.

Obviosly counter reset can be done only twice like said, now there was first report in Finnish forum where 3rd reset attempt has not been succeeded. (until someone found the parameter which counts those reset... ). If the reason is something else than life cycle counter, resetting does not help.

I've owned the car since new so the history is known. The SBC pump was replaced at 48,000 miles and a main dealer software upgrade performed at 65,000 miles, so I guess I'm counting since that time. My independent suggested that since I'd had a replacement pump and a software upgrade that I might still have some time to go before the counter times out. I guess it's difficult to tell?

I didnt realise there was a counter on the PSE as well. Whats the thinking behind that ? I thought they normally fail on an SL due to water ingress killing the electronics ?

Who said anything about a PSE counter?

!*!!**! These are your brakes you are talking about !!*!*!

Having driven a SL55 that lost its brakes (luckily only at 30mph on an empty road) , you really really don't want to do anything that may increase your risk of being left with just an unassisted braking system - its pretty much ineffectual, but the V8 engine braking helped..

They didn't make up the count values for no reason. And given my SBC pump failed well before it reached any counter limit I'd argue the inbuilt limit is too high !!

Richard

Oops sorry V12 I misread their ad ! I read ESP as PSE , dlesyiax is such a curse !

I dont fancy having my braking system "reset" by an unknown guy with a laptop by the roadside !

I don't like the idea of just resetting these units.

Mine had a firmware upgrade in 2011 and part of that extends the life i.e. the counter.

However, mine is fine as it turns out. I think I heard it get noisy once I started it after switching off either before a during a pressure build. Now I deliberately instigate one and wait and I don't get the noise now. On 65566 miles at the moment.

I don't like the idea of just resetting these units.

Mine had a firmware upgrade in 2011 and part of that extends the life i.e. the counter.

However, mine is fine as it turns out. I think I heard it get noisy once I started it after switching off either before a during a pressure build. Now I deliberately instigate one and wait and I don't get the noise now. On 65566 miles at the moment.

just to say milage is nothing to do with it, its the amount of times that brake pedal is pressed!

id totally agree, i wouldnt want my counter reset with the added risk the SBC may be more prone to fail

I've heard reports of people opening the units up when the warning comes up and finding only a 1/3 or 1/4 of the brushes used.

Is the reset really as safety critical as people make out or is it a case of people are scared of what they understand/can't see inside the casings?

Would it be good practise to take the SBC unit apart to check the condition of the components before just carrying out a reset regardless?

I agree more information about failed units would be useful. (Only 1 Finnish member gutted his SBC unit after fail and found those brushes worn only about 1/3). What else could cause malfunction and be detected by dilettante (positive way) forum member? All sliding surface of the motor. Is there spools/sleeves inside the unit? Anyway condition of the would be difficult to justify.

Broken accumulator/reservoir should not cause loosing brakes, pump just runs all the time and won't stand a long...

Richard, what failed in your system? Just the pump, of something else like pipe? Documents states that there is brake force (wthout booster) left to the front wheels, so old school pedal pumping should give some brake pressure instead of flooring pedal once??? I know max force is still only fraction of full forces but pedal to the floor without brake sounds something MB would not admit even from failed system?

V12 I am far from expert in this area but if one can take the unit apart and check or even renew the brushes is that then a fix ? Sounds too easy and I assume other things can wear or fail.
I see on the other site that there is a firm in London that refurbs ABC pumps for £400 or so which is miles cheaper than new from MB.
Front leg ball joint repairs from the guys in Liverpool .... all we now need is a supplier of recon SBC units !

just to say milage is nothing to do with it, its the amount of times that brake pedal is pressed!

id totally agree, i wouldnt want my counter reset with the added risk the SBC may be more prone to fail

Yeah, no I knew that - the quoted mileage was in reference to post #8 for comparison with regard to firmware - amiguous layout to my post admittedly...

The thing is its an electronic component in some aspects, which of course can fail at any time... so I think whether you renew your existing, replace for renew, or even refurb your existing... they are all still prone to failure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom