Residential care home, 2 staff looking after 36 residents?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Further revelations about the property company who owns the largest proportion of Southern Cross Homes. [ Radio 4 Today program at about 7.45 am for anyone interested ] Labyrinthine and far from transparent company structure =companies within companies etc etc which despite their efforts the BBC failed to pin down ownership- other than it was probably foreign based. :( the phrase corporate granny farming popped into my head somehow. Here's a description from the Google finance pages:-

Nationwide Health Properties, Inc. (NHP) is a real estate investment trust (REIT). NHP invests in healthcare related real estate, senior housing, long-term care properties and medical office buildings. It operates in two segments: triple-net leases and multi-tenant leases. In the triple-net leases segment, it invests in healthcare related properties and lease the facilities to unaffiliated tenants under triple-net and master leases that transfer the obligation for all facility operating costs (including maintenance, repairs, taxes, insurance and capital expenditures) to the tenant. In the multi-tenant leases segment, it invests in healthcare related properties that have several tenants under separate leases in each building, thus requiring active management and responsibility for many of the associated operating expenses. As of December 31, 2010, it had investments in 663 healthcare facilities, one land parcel, two development projects and two assets held for sale located in 42 states.

Oh by the way it would appear they are also financially stretched! :doh:

Well having asset stripped all the care homes by selling the properties on leaving them with no security Southern Cross have announced they are folding. What a surprise! Who is going to look after the residents now? BBC News - Southern Cross set to shut down and stop running homes

I think the article suggests what might happen - ie. no change.

The point is that the company and is shareholders bear the brunt of the loss. The residents presumably take their money elsewhere.

Forgive me if the sight of shareholders shedding a tear into their gin and tonics on the balcony of their villa on the Costa Del Sol doesn't move me so much as the prospect of vulnerable confused elderly people being ambulanced away from a home and staff they know to an entirely new abode. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. :dk:

Welcome to profit driven healthcare, where the pay is crap and the conditions are worse.

Always amazes me why people work there.

With regards to the 'care' received by the elderly, animals get better protected.

An absolute disgrace.

Because its a job.

Its a shame, sometimes you get good carers who provide good care who visit your home.

My mates grandfather used to have two carers pop bye. One was really good and helpful, the other a slob and not so good and left mess etc.

Its the same in all walks of life....

Steve,
I made that ^ comment because my best friends missus has been doing this exact job for 10 years and she does nothing but moan about it.

I asked her if she knew what it was like before she started there and she replied yes! Where's the logic in that?

Maybe I'm being ignorant to the fact that, like you say, it's a job...

Steve,
I made that ^ comment because my best friends missus has been doing this exact job for 10 years and she does nothing but moan about it.

I asked her if she knew what it was like before she started there and she replied yes! Where's the logic in that?

Maybe I'm being ignorant to the fact that, like you say, it's a job...

Indeed, I moan about work all the time, but its a job thats relatively convenient that will fit around me, not me fit around it....

Depends what you want.

I think to be a good carer, patience must be a virtue. I'd not last 5 minutes doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom