Residual Heat function in GLC X253 / C W205

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richard

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
MY04 SL55
Mercedes used to always have a residual heat function where the coolant could keep being pumped through the heater matrix when the car was off.
This meant you could run the heating in the car for a long time with the engine off, great when waiting for someone (like the kids).
They they then seemed to only include the function if you had the advanced air-conditioning system.

BUT, sadly you can't order that on the new GLC in the UK, (and I assume the C class).

Luckily, I worked out it can be retrofitted relatively easily to even those with basic air-conditioning - if the car is new enough and is diesel as them some of the parts are there. (If its not diesel, it can still be done, but a significant job)

So, now I have residual heat function, and 'REST' written on one of the buttons on my air-con switches.

I'm quite pleased with that as I hate leaving engines running polluting the area where I'm waiting for the kids !!!!

Richard

One of the 'luxuries' of the hybrid system, everything remains active and on, with no engine running, well, until the traction battery runs low but then that's the same as the Merc way, just lasts a lot longer! ;)

One of the 'luxuries' of the hybrid system, everything remains active and on, with no engine running, well, until the traction battery runs low but then that's the same as the Merc way, just lasts a lot longer! ;)

I can't believe you've sold the CLS55 !!!

I miss that awesome engine but not much else TBH

Lexus is very different and hybrid with eCVT even more so! Smooooth then select Sport mode and get 6 'gears' clever...

I discovered another use of Residual Heat - if just popping out of car for 30 mins or so (hair cut for instance) you come back to a warm car :)

Very happy now

R

But do you find it increases the humidity level in the car? Misty windows? As the a/c isn't functioning, at least it wasn't in the CLS

But do you find it increases the humidity level in the car? Misty windows? As the a/c isn't functioning, at least it wasn't in the CLS

Yup, but it clears in 20 seconds when I restart later. And warm car when coming back is worth every penny as I hate the cold.

R

Mercedes used to always have a residual heat function where the coolant could keep being pumped through the heater matrix when the car was off.
This meant you could run the heating in the car for a long time with the engine off, great when waiting for someone (like the kids).
They they then seemed to only include the function if you had the advanced air-conditioning system.

BUT, sadly you can't order that on the new GLC in the UK, (and I assume the C class).

Luckily, I worked out it can be retrofitted relatively easily to even those with basic air-conditioning - if the car is new enough and is diesel as them some of the parts are there. (If its not diesel, it can still be done, but a significant job)

So, now I have residual heat function, and 'REST' written on one of the buttons on my air-con switches.

I'm quite pleased with that as I hate leaving engines running polluting the area where I'm waiting for the kids !!!!

Richard
Hi Richard,
I'm from Australia, with a 250d.
Can you send info or explain how you achieved this.
Many thanks

Hello, reading with interest. I’ve just bought a 2016 C 63S estate And guess what, there is no rest function. My old 1999 C 43AMG and 1995 SL500 both have rest functions. So I was surprised and a bit miffed to discover the new car doesn’t have one because in England the winters are so cold and so long I use it every single time I leave the car to pop in the shop for something or if I’m waiting for someone. Please if anyone sees this and knows how to retrofitted I will be up for buying you a beer or curry or whatever

Send me your vin and I’ll see. I retrofitted it on my GLC diesel and will do on my current GLC shortly. Done a couple for customers too

send to [email protected] for attn Richard !

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom