Resin Driveways / Paths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I assure you it was mixed with the other ingredients, whether I should have done it that way is possibly debatable, but I did.
If you did it yourself then yes I'm talking delivered concrete in a lorry 🙄

Currently having a house built... very slowly at present !

I have about 200sq metres of drive to cover I've considered everything and decided on good old Marshalls Tegula Blocks Drivesett Tegula Original Driveway Block Paving | Marshalls

Like has been mentioned earlier; everything has its downside but if laid well and the preparation is done well I just cant help but revert to blocks every time.

The only time I had an issue with blocks is about 35 years ago when the stupid water board laid a new water supply right up my long drive under where the car wheel ran and it inevitably sank!

With a bit of maintenance each year you cant beat them!

Nice choice of block 3 different sizes and no 2 rows should be the same 😀
The only choice IMO. These look ok ish over time. The standard herringbone/basket-weave blocks (driveline50) don’t age as well.

I've not used them in over 20 year's and 50mm blocks should never be used on a driveway just dont lay them upside down as i have seen plenty

I've not used them in over 20 year's and 50mm blocks should never be used on a driveway just dont lay them upside down as i have seen plenty
Hehe. The clue’s in the Marshall’s Name. ‘DriveLine50’. 😁

I remember doing one particular job in the 90’s. Fairly large driveway in Stockport. Completed the work, got paid. Around 6 weeks later the client called me to say it’d all gone white (the colour was brindle) I assured him it was the salt coming out (efflorescence) and to be patient, over time it would disappear.

However, he called me back a few months later to tell me it now looks a total mess. I called in to see him and the salt had gone along with the brindle colour exposing the aggregates in the concrete.

after quizzing him he confessed he’d had a. Odd job man in to clean off the salt. Using a strong mix of brick acid and a very stiff yard brush.

……..and off I went. 🙄

Depends on the gravel substrate, but I would be very wary about jacking on a board on gravel. Just feels risky. Maybe in an emergency to change a wheel, but I wouldn’t be doing it regularly. Someone near me has a gravel drive but has a car park space sized concrete slab as an island in the middle of it and he works on his car. That’s not a bad idea.

Here's my 2p worth for a block paving drive, had mine done about 16 years ago :
Make sure you've got a good depth of scalpings/crushed stone as a base , well compacted.
Try and lay edging set in concrete all round.
Lay a good covering of coarse sand over the area.
Choice of paving - although concrete block paving is cheaper I'd recommend clay paving as you can safely use a diluted mix of "hyperchloride" to keep the weeds and moss away without bleaching out the colour of the paver. Clay pavers are more expensive but in the overall cost of preparation and laying the extra over isn't that great.
The only drawback with clay pavers is the limited choice of colours.
Cars are normally parked in the garage and I wash it on the tarmac section by the gates , so not looking too bad after 16 years.
I always tell people my drive was laid by a "cowboy" his name was actually John Wayne.

Attachments

• PICT0664XXX.JPG
    PICT0664XXX.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 28
  • PICT0682xxx.JPG
    PICT0682xxx.JPG
    410 KB · Views: 28
The problem with clay paving is first trying to cut them and second they are not uniform in size or shape many firms will try and talk you out of using them but they do look nice in the right surroundings

The problem with clay paving is first trying to cut them and second they are not uniform in size or shape many firms will try and talk you out of using them but they do look nice in the right surroundings
I disagree with you on both counts, clay pavers are 100% uniform, I was a buyer for a construction company and I've never seen a mis-shaped clay paver. Have good look at my drive , done using the correct cutting equipment , there are cuts of paver 10mm - zero at an angle.
He might have been called John Wayne but one thing he certainly wasn't was a "cowboy".

I think we will agree to disagree clay blocks are brittle so either snap whilst cutting with a diamond tip blade or melt 😉 you was a buyer I was a paver

Just to add my 2p worth. I like resin but when we looked it was - as above - £££££.
So we went for gravel! Personally I find block paving a bit too austere and it does always seem to subside over time. My driveway is narrow and long. Only 9ft wide but around 30ft long so cars tend to always park in the same spot. My fear with blocks is that they would sink over time.
My driveway is similar to yours, just twice the length.
I have block paving, and had a small problem with the smallest of bit of subsidence about a year later. I put it down to the weight of the E63 parking in the same spot.
The layers lifted dome blocks and put some screed down first, problem solved

Our drive is block paving circa 30 yeas old. No issues. I’ve had that epoxy bonded (pebble pave) stuff in the past and it was awful. Slowly comes loose and breaks down.

My next door neighbour had it done last year, the resin bonding has lifted where they park the car and there are colour differences across the drive. There are two pallets of materials just turned up for a retry. Got to say though that the Co who did it have great reviews.

My next door neighbour had it done last year, the resin bonding has lifted where they park the car and there are colour differences across the drive. There are two pallets of materials just turned up for a retry. Got to say though that the Co who did it have great reviews.
Like anything in construction thats not got driven foundations at some point it can and probably will fail, the main takeaway is if the co that does it stands behind the quality of its work and it looks in this case as if they have.

Like anything in construction thats not got driven foundations at some point it can and probably will fail, the main takeaway is if the co that does it stands behind the quality of its work and it looks in this case as if they have.
What’s a ‘driven’ foundation then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom