Resonated delete - options and drone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fabes

MB Enthusiast
Car
E 400 Coupe and X-Trail
On the (prior) E350, the centre box had corroded so I took the opportunity to remove it.
I had an X pipe fitted locally and was happy with the improvement in exhaust note when under modest or full load (even idle) - though of course I don't know what was possible....

Few said an X pipe was not appropriate for a V6 and in considering same for my E400 with the same engine (plus turbo) as the exhaust tone is under whelming, I have researched a simple stainless steel section insert, vs mild steel (which the internet says is better for a V6) vs H, X or even J pipe so to remove any drone although drone is supposed to only be an issue at 3 to 4 thousand revs and the car cruises at 2 to 2,500 rpm so would only in that rev range for a short burst and for a specific purpose (accelerating to overtake or put a smile on my face

i am not looking for a new exhaust and Longlife dealer in Southampton has an okay rep, but before I go and talk to them, my question is for those with a turbo charged car (V6 esp) did you have a simple steel insert replacement or did you go for a slimmer resonator, or an shaped pipe?

Any and all advice appreciated

Not a V6, but when I had my resonator removed it was replaced with 2 stainless steel pipes the same diameter as the main exhaust.

I think my SL400 has the same engine - V6 bi turbo - as your E400.

however, my exhaust system is different. There was no center resonator, and there was an x pipe fitted OEM

nearer the back - near the rear wheels - there was a resonator on each side. I had these removed

car became more vocal, and as miles pass, exhaust sounds a bit more interesting. But there is a slight drone at circa 70mph, where revs are circa 2.1k - this is the only downside

I may be dreaming it, but drivetrain also seems more responsive.

D7E649E9-9AD0-42E1-99CC-1FF4739804A8.jpeg

963F49D1-40F9-47DA-89CB-E1A21B193F44.jpeg

Thanks, that's useful experience to consider

I am popping down to discuss with the exhaust chap tomorrow and get it on a ramp to be clear on what is there.
i do not want a drone at 70 or 75 or even.....

will report back

I did

I don't have any photos though (doh!)

Wasn't straightforward with a rectangular pipe in from the GPF but twin round pipe outports through to the rear twin exhaust pipes
It has made a difference, albeit not a big one.

No drone at any speed (at all) but it is a little more vocal under load but its not night and day which it was (in relative terms) on the CLK280 a few years ago.😎

It was £150 and if I hadn't had it done I would have always wondered what if, so I am glad I did.
I have kept the res (its quite big - nigh on 18 inches long and 9 inches wide) so it must have done a noticeable job, but I don't think these CGI V6s are noted for being 'raucous' any way.
It is a Mercedes Benz after all.....

PS I left the GPF in place and the exhaust shop, correctly, wouldn't touch it anyway.

It has made a difference, albeit not a big one.

I had my R129 SL500's centre muffler/resonator removed (by Longlife), and the difference on that was also quite slight. They did comment that MB back boxes are generally very effective so the centre muffler doesn't do a great deal.

Overall though it's a quick/cheap/easy way to get a little more exhaust note. Didn't affect my insurance either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom