Resonator Delete? - CLS 63 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roken

Car
CLS 63 AMG PP+ 2013
Hi all,

New to the forums and looking for some advice. Not sure if this is the right section either, so please forgive me if this should be elsewhere!

I have just received a 62 reg CLS 63 AMG, and I want to cut out the resonator and replace it with straight pipes. Of course, I want to do this in order to up the exhaust note slightly.

However I have no idea of who to turn to in order to carry out a mod like this here in the UK. It seems to be an exceedingly common mod in the USA, but I can't seem to find anyone here who explicitly deals with such work and frankly I would prefer to go to someone well known or recommended.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction??

Thanks in advance! :)

- Roken

Hi all,

New to the forums and looking for some advice. Not sure if this is the right section either, so please forgive me if this should be elsewhere!

I have just received a 62 reg CLS 63 AMG, and I want to cut out the resonator and replace it with straight pipes. Of course, I want to do this in order to up the exhaust note slightly.

However I have no idea of who to turn to in order to carry out a mod like this here in the UK. It seems to be an exceedingly common mod in the USA, but I can't seem to find anyone here who explicitly deals with such work and frankly I would prefer to go to someone well known or recommended.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction??

Thanks in advance! :)

- Roken

are you sure you want to invalidate any warranty you have on the the car? exhaust mod will invalidate any engine issues you have (ie if a piston goes) they will blame it on the exhaust mod.

be carefull!

I'm in Central London!

Alps: I understand, but apparently its very easy and quick to reverse to stock without much drama? Still a risk i suppose, car will go back after finance term.

...apparently its very easy and quick to reverse to stock without much drama? Still a risk i suppose, car will go back after finance term.
Yes you can easily reverse the operation but there will always be tell-tale welds or extra clips/clamps that will tell any mechanic straight away that the exhaust has been worked on.

If you get a cat back system that includes rear boxes it will be a complete bolt on bolt off unit and as such completely reversible. It won't be as cheap as the route you are looking at though so you would need to budget anything from £1200-2500 depending on the quality and brand/company. You could also look at Supersprint, it will cost closer to 3k but will also have some resale value when it's time to throw back.

I'm in Central London!

Alps: I understand, but apparently its very easy and quick to reverse to stock without much drama? Still a risk i suppose, car will go back after finance term.

As Savman said, i would go for a bolt on bolt off system, best in the area is hayward and scott.

The original exhaust system (cats back) will be a very large and heavy item to store for the next few years, and I wouldn't be confident that M-B would have no way of knowing it hadn't been on the car.

Of course you'd need to declare any exhaust mods. to your insurer anyway.

BTB 500 said:
The original exhaust system (cats back) will be a very large and heavy item to store for the next few years, and I wouldn't be confident that M-B would have no way of knowing it hadn't been on the car.

Of course you'd need to declare any exhaust mods. to your insurer anyway.

Taking an exhaust off and replacing it will not invalidate any warranty, a number of parts need the exhaust to be removed to service or repair.

Still a risk i suppose, car will go back after finance term.
This might be a bigger issue than warranty invalidation- does the small print of the finance allow mods? If there's a risk that a reversed change (even on bolted components) might be detected at end of term, it could trigger penalties or perhaps be deemed reason to force you to purchase the vehicle.

Last edited:
Paul/ said:
This might be a bigger issue than warranty invalidation- does the small print of the finance allow mods? There's a risk that a reversed change (even on bolted components) might be detected at end of term, and trigger penalties or perhaps be deemed reason to force you to purchase the vehicle.

I did not say it was a change I said removing would not invalidate, just as removing a wheel will not. Now replacing it with something else that's a different matter!

I did not say it was a change I said removing would not invalidate, just as removing a wheel will not. Now replacing it with something else that's a different matter!
We're at cross purposes, my response was to post #4.
Just highlighting that the finance arrangements may preclude mods (particularly if they "own" the car) so is it worth risking enforced purchase at end of term, even if only very small chance of detection.

Paul/ said:
We're at cross purposes, my response was to post #4.
Just highlighting that the finance arrangements may preclude mods (particularly if they "own" the car) so is it worth risking enforced purchase at end of term, even if only very small chance of detection.

Fair enough but really how do you think they would detect and even enforce the fact that a bolt had been loosened and tightened at some point in the vehicle life.
Now whether you should do it or not as I say another matter.

Get it done, then get in touch with Renntech and get the ECU tweaked and watch your grin get wider and wider!

Taking an exhaust off and replacing it will not invalidate any warranty

Correct, but running the car on a non-standard exhaust system will. I wouldn't personally count on M-B being unable to tell, in the event of a big claim.

Seems that way lol, i've started a debate of sorts.

Appreciate the advice either way everyone. Just finished running it in, so let's see what stock sounds like when pushed first!

Will start a new thread with pictures of the car for you guys to see. =)

Last edited:
Seems that way lol, i've started a debate of sorts.

Appreciate the advice either way everyone. Just finished running it in, so let's see what stock sounds like when pushed first!

Will start a new thread with pictures of the car for you guys to see. =)

I've enjoyed extensive performance mods on a car, and I also think that Bill has had at least some, my point is not that you shouldn't do it, just that there are other factors to consider. I assume your planned mod is unlikely to be detected, but if it is, the financial consequences could be significant.

Another caution- once I’d justified one mod it often made it easier to justify another to get even more benefit from the 1st…:devil:

Anyway, whatever, enjoy & let's see the pics!

Yup, what Paul/ said!

I have had the resonator (centre muffler) removed on my car, btw. But being out of warranty made it a quick & simple job - about £130. And being insured as 'modified manifold/exhaust' means I can now go for a secondary cat delete without any hassle at all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom