Resonator Delete Completed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tudu

MB Enthusiast
Car
05 C200K Sport Edition (Kleemann)
Decided to have resonator removed on C55 this afternoon (after being driven in Steve's SL 500 Silver Arrow), and what a nice deep throaty sound added to the V8. Have kept the secondary cats as to remove them would have been too loud me thinks. Looking forward to hearing the sound after it's settled in a bit and adjusted with the ecu.

Nice one Ozzy! Good to see you're back and modding ;)

How's the C55 been genrally?

What needs doing to the ECU?

I deleted my resonator and it's seemed OK ever since - different engine though.

It has a large silencer (the yanks possibly call it a resnonator) after the secondy CATS.

Steve's car does sound nice.

Just deleted my secondary CATS prior to my rear main issues... sounds LOVELY and not obtrusive at all... Also took the centre box out on my CLK500 and that sounded better than my 55...

E55 has taken the centre box out of his, im thinking about doing the same on mine.

I had the centre box removed on my SL some years back ... relatively mild increase in exhaust note.

Of course the mod needs to be declared on insurance.

Nice one Ozzy! Good to see you're back and modding ;)

How's the C55 been genrally?

Thanks. Car's running great Ollie did great service as usual, and now back negotiating with Kleemann for a kompressor. Not sure i want the K3 kit which includes headers, sports cats, sport camshafts and ECU upgrade (£10,031.52 and thats without install costs) as its far too loud, as already fitted to my C200 sports, so figure on a V8 would sound twice as loud. Hope to see you on the 15th at PCS.

I don't think 209 CLK55s have resonators - just two sets of cats. :dk:

If you look under your car you should have 2 secondary cats which then goes into a short pipe to a muffler (resonator). It is this that is removed and replaced with a straight piece of stainless steel pipe. Should cost now more than £50.00 to remove and weld new pipe in place. The sound is much deeper, and there is no drone at speed.

What needs doing to the ECU?

I deleted my resonator and it's seemed OK ever since - different engine though.

Nothing needs doing to the ecu. when messing around with exhaust / mixture as done with removing resonator or secondary cats etc the ecu will automatically adjust, so i am expecting the sound to improve as things settle down.

Just deleted my secondary CATS prior to my rear main issues... sounds LOVELY and not obtrusive at all... Also took the centre box out on my CLK500 and that sounded better than my 55...

Are you going to PCS GTG on 15th? as i would like to hear your CLK with secondary cats and resonator removed. I am hesitant to remove sec cats at the mo purely because of the noise (don't want it to sound like a barry) and drone at speed on motorway.

E55 has taken the centre box out of his, im thinking about doing the same on mine.

On the 55 AMG you will notice deeper sound as a V8 should be, without the coarseness of a boy racer car. If you can hear one first that should make your mind up, plus is keep the resonator and put it back on if you don't like it.

does a cl55 215 have the resonator?

Should think so? look under the car you should see 2 secondary cats, after the cats should be a centre roundish muffler (resonator). If you have that, simple matter of removing and replacing with straight piece of stainless steel pipe at exhaust centre.

I removed the resonator on my old W210 E55 and my current W211 E55. Makes the car sound a bit louder and more like V8. There is minimal or no change in the power output. Just remember to let your insurance company know but they are usually alright with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom