Resonator delete - underwhelmed.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fabes

MB Enthusiast
Car
E 400 Coupe and X-Trail
Having had a Res Delete on the E350 and it making a noticeable difference, I had the same carried out on the E400 on Saturday

However, even the chap who did it (and is well versed on this tweak, but not on the C207) was surprised by the 'change'
He expected something akin 20% more noise and a mild change in tone (its a TT petrol V6 - same 3.5L I had in the E350 essentially), but he warned me that on his short road test, that it was not there.
He didn't have a real reference beforehand, but I concur, and I don't know why.....

It 'might' be a 10% 'improvement', but some of that could me wishing it is there - in fact I think it is

Below is the box that came off, against my size 8 boot for reference - it is/was a fair sized silencer (now stored in my garage rafters)
Surely losing this would make a noticeable difference?

1656952951206.jpeg

This is what replaced it

1656953055574.jpeg

Is the GPF box (furthest away, fed from the engine first to achieve Euro 6, which we of course left in place) already acting as a half decent silencer?
The rear silencer boxes were left in place, and he had to create a square to a twin round flange to replicate the entry and exit out of the central, removed silencer, but the impact has been underwhelmin

I am not minded to go the whole rear delete or even a full custom exhaust, but I thought I would share this should others be considering similar.
It wasn't a lot of money and had I not had it done I would (probably) always be wondering "what if", but the volume and tone is not close to what I had with the E350
First world problems and all that and it is an MB not and RS or even an AMG, but at I am surprised at how refined it remains, starting up, around town, when pressing on and on the m-way (no droning, I did listen out for that on a trip out today)

Any ideas or similar experience or suggestions?

Get someone to drive your car past you/floor it.

You'll no doubt notice it.
I've had it done on both my AMGs (not the G as it doesn't appear to have them) and it's had a huge improvement.

As above J. Get a drive by with WOT. It sounds far different outside the car than inside.
I was very surprised (in a good way) how loud mine is from outside.

My Dad has got an E400 coupe with the 3.5T engine and had the exact same mod done. I can confirm that from the outside it does sound much more vocal, without being overly loud/obnoxious.

Okay, thanks all.

Will work out a plan to do that (and perhaps a few blasts though some tunnels / bridges around here)
And report back at some point.

The turbos and the GPF do most of the silencing on modern cars. My ALFA exhaust was replaced by me for a straight through system end to end...no silencers...just a small factory resonator.......it sounds no louder than ir was when silenced! I was disappointed! The factory silencers were very light and hardly had anything in them....the DPF and turbo kept it quiet......Older cars without GPF /DPF and naturally aspirated ones will sound a lot more aggressive with the resonator delete.

Sadly the OPF has a big effect on reducing the volume and changing the tone of the exhaust note on modern cars - hence the piped “engine” sounds I to turn cabin in some modern performance cars.

My understanding is that it would be illegal to remove the OPF and would like I require a remap to prevent warning lights and error codes. Anything which makes your car illegal will probably void insurance too.

Older cars without GPF /DPF and naturally aspirated ones will sound a lot more aggressive with the resonator delete.

The change was relatively mild on my R129 (resonator delete plus 200 cell sports cats). MB dropped the resonator in the '99 facelift anyway ... the rear box does most of the silencing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom