Resonator delete

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accused

Car
CL500 2005
I've decided my CL500 is wonderful in every respect except its like a Prius engine had been put in it instead of a V8 noise wise.
I know mercedes did all they could to get the comfort high and noise low but its my first V8 and I want to hear it.
It seems a resonator delete will make it recognisable without that dreadful drone or obnoxious mustang sound.
Any recommendations for this work in the south east please?

It's a pretty quick/simple job - I used Longlife for my SL. They've got a reasonable number of branches in the South - I went to Carshalton.

I would go the route you're gong, delete the resonator & take it from there. I highly recommend Zero Exhausts in Biddenden near Ashford Zero Exhausts He did a very professional job on my CLS & the cost was very reasonable. You may have to wait about a month to get booked in though as he's quite busy, but it's worth the wait. DON'T be tempted to use Powerflow in Sittingbourne, they had 5 attempts to do the same exhaust work & I ended up getting a complete refund. Pics below are what Kevin at Zero Exhausts did on my CLS.

Attachments

• thumbnail (39).jpeg
    thumbnail (39).jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 27
  • thumbnail (37).jpeg
    thumbnail (37).jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 26
Thanks yes Basildon I think, I did call him but he had long waits
You have to wait for a reason!

If you can't wait go elsewhere. You may regret it!

i considered the resonator delete but after contacting my local exhaust fabricator they recommended changing the back box, its an easier job and to be honest the burble from the v8 is lovely now without being boy racerish . stainless steel and £200 with life time guarantee

I had the same issue on my SL500 when I got it - there was virtually no exhaust note unless you were flooring it (and even then not much). I started with the centre muffler (resonator) removal - this is a good first step as it's quick/easy/cheap and only makes a slight change on most cars. You can then make further changes if necessary till you get what you're after ... I added an AMG back box (cosmetic mod. only - no difference to the sound), then went to 200 cell sports cats - both changes done by Longlife again. It's still pretty much silent when cruising (no drone), but has a bit of noise on startup & acceleration without being silly or obnoxious. No MOT issues at all (it gets done at a main dealer), and once you've declared 'modified/non-standard exhaust' for your insurance it doesn't matter how many changes you make. I stayed with an OE back box (which tucks up under the rear of the car) to keep the stock appearance. Apart from the lovely AMG tailpipes of course 😊

tips.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

have seen a few with great big back boxes that stick out like a sore thumb. mine is tucked nicely up out of sight with just the tip showing hanging down as the original does

I tried Kevin at zero and he said no lol! A bit shocked really I thought it was a straightforward job

Last edited:
I tried Kevin at zero and he said no lol!
Oh? Why not? I did have mine booked back in with him for further mods but we agreed between us that it would be a non-essential journey. So we agreed to re-schedule at a later date.

I thought it was a straightforward job

It is - a Y pipe was needed for my R129 as the centre muffler has two inlets (one from each cylinder bank) and one outlet, and it only took about 90 mins. Cost was £120, although that was about 15 years ago.

He simply said not a job he would do
Strange, because a resonator delete (with H-pipe) was what he was going to do next on mine & he was quite happy to do it 🤷‍♂️

Strange, because a resonator delete (with H-pipe) was what he was going to do next on mine & he was quite happy to do it 🤷‍♂️
Edit: I contacted him via E-mail & he told me he declined the work because he's very busy & booked up until June.

Yes he did add the June bit but seemed like he didn't want to do it either which of course is his choice.

"Sorry, it's not something that I can do for you and also I am booked solid until June"

Shame because its always better to go with recommendations with car work

Last edited:
ive done a few exhaust mods on the 129s and from my experience a nice back box gives the best value for money sound improvement , i have one with a cherry bomb style back box and it sounds like a v8 should
a lovely low rumble for every day driving and defo sounds like a v8

another vote here for Dean at Pipecraft. He always does all the exhaust work on my fleet and does a top job.

Pipecraft are doing it Friday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom