Resonator delete

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Pipecraft are doing it Friday!

Have used them 3 times now and other family members for original replacement exhaust parts. Have always done a great job.

Hope your happy with the standards they apply to your car. Post up a video of the after tone👍

Cool, they are just doing a cat and resonator delete for me as we speak!

On what vehicle?

I know the R129 SL lost the centre muffler in the 1999 facelift, to get a slightly more 'sporty' sound. Surprised to hear there isn't one on a CL though.

You can remove a centre silencer if you wanted a little more noise or even get Dean to change the rear silencer?

That does seem strange the car has no center resonator.

I suppose you could source some C63 E63 rear mufflers. I would change the exhaust note slightly but maybe not as much as you would expect.

You could remove your current mufflers, open them up from the side that sits on the floor of the vehicle and remove any baffling inside. This would improve sound but seems a lot of flaffling about. I had the on my E55 it was definitely louder than stock system but more matalic in sound.

Straight pipes no mufflers at all could be an option, but you will more than likely inherent some drone about certain rpm. I straight piped my previous E55k and it was a fantastic exhaust tone it was very droney at certain rpm. It was bloody loud.

Do you think your system is stock sounding or do you think it has mods. Have you done sound comparisons with the same engine/car as your own?

Maybe post up a clip of yours revving and someone could maybe compare the sound to there CL500 exhaust note.

The 500 has a single tip exit on each muffler, is that correct.

Straight pipes no mufflers at all could be an option, but you will more than likely inherent some drone about certain rpm. I straight piped my previous E55k and it was a fantastic exhaust tone it was very droney at certain rpm. It was bloody loud.

No mufflers would likely be an MOT fail now (on noise level) ... the Police rule of thumb is that there should be a rear box at least (unless the car didn't have one when new).

The system was all standard, we've gone for secondary cat delete and it sounds just right but I hope it passes emissions with only primary cats...
I can definitely recommend Dean at pipecraft

No mufflers would likely be an MOT fail now (on noise level) ... the Police rule of thumb is that there should be a rear box at least (unless the car didn't have one when new).

Good point highlighted 👍

The system was all standard, we've gone for secondary cat delete and it sounds just right but I hope it passes emissions with only primary cats...

Get some videos up of the "new" sound 💥

Technically it can fail the MOT if the secondary cats are removed even if it passes emission test. Any tampering with the stock exhaust system can fail the car but most MOT testers seem not to bother with it.

OK its not loud enough, yes I know the cl500 was intended to be a refined cruiser. I guess free flowing back boxes are next....

You might want to try a silencer replacement / delete.
I have an SL500 R230 with original exhaust and a silencer replacement straight pipe I got from an ex SL500 owner.

The sound is just amazing, no problems with emissions, and the lad at the MOT handed the key back to me with a smile and saying it sounds really nice 🤣

Pros:
- Sound is amazing
- Sound is captivating (if you are a petrol head) and you get the looks (whether good or bad, not intended, just a consequence)

Cons:
- Motorway cruising experience will be affected (with the delete)

Cheers,
Ed

Last edited:
I always understood the resonators to be performance related. I believe its the helmholtz resonator effect which straights air flow. For Sound I guess you could gut the backboxes or change them

You can always fit a J-pipe (s) to eradicate the drone. That's what I ended up doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom