respray costs help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lfckeeper

Car
Bmw 5 series (Former W203 C class and 2x W219 CLS owner)
Can anyone give me advice on something that baffles me.

Im trying to get local quotes for a bonnet and bumper respray (lovely stone chips!). Why do they all ask you to 'bring it down so we can have a look'?

My logic says its a bumper and a bonnet they're all the same just different sizes on different cars, why do they not have ball park figures?

^ It can depend on the amount of filler needed and time taken to fill in the deep stone chips before respraying.
Once they see your car, they have the opportunity to suck in the lips and quote accordingly:D

You should try and remember that quoting to paint a panel in paint code XXXX can be done (as you say) for a rough price and unseen. That is the very bottom end (possibly not good words from me) that you want to get to. You have to take into account all the variables?

If you want the panel to blend?
Exactly what damage/prep is required to give a top quality job, as opposed to a "selling the car" job.
Lacquer and paint quality can make a very big difference to price, as can the actual paint colour etc.

Cars that have had panels done unseen, often look like cars that have had panels done unseen ;ˆ)

Last edited:
Also, one man's "just a few on the front" is another man's "the whole bonnet and bumper". - You'd think it would be easier to ask you to send some photos.

You should try and remember that quoting to paint a panel in paint code XXXX can be done (as you say) for a rough price and unseen. That is the very bottom end (possibly not good words from me) that you want to get to. You have to take into account all the variables?

If you want the panel to blend?
Exactly what damage/prep is required to give a top quality job, as opposed to a "selling the car" job.
Lacquer and paint quality can make a very big difference to price, as can the actual paint colour etc.

Cars that have had panels done unseen, often look like cars that have had panels done unseen ;ˆ)

Absolutely take on board what you say. Just wish they could say 'without any extra work its £xxx amount, if it needs blending its £xxx but we would have to take a look before confirming prices" or something along those lines.

I suppose it is what it is.

It would raise alarm bells with me if they didnt ask to see it before quoting a price.

One persons 'light scratch' is varsly different then anothers, just look on Autotrader to confirm this.

How can a company quote a price without knowing what the work actually is?

"Yeah, it's just a scratch, it'll buff right out"

VPv7rSq.jpg

One persons 'light scratch' is varsly different then anothers, just look on Autotrader to confirm this.

How can a company quote a price without knowing what the work actually is?

Thats true, I couldn't agree more with what you say about Auto trader.

I guess Im frustrated as work prevents my being able to get loads of quotes.

It's also because a quote over the phone rarely turns into any work for them, as you'll ring around several places.

They've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by telling you to come to them. Once there, you're much more likely to commit to them doing the work.

Well I use a guy near Colchester,he does not do full resprays or body repairs,he just does small resprays bumper wing most of his work comes from main dealers those guys are very careless with new and nearly new cars,I would say you will get charged about £300 to respray those panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom