Respray estimates for non-corroded '91 C124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray_hennig

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB 300CE-24 Sportline
Hello all,

My old 300CE is mechanically new but showing signs of age and use.

I'd like it to look better and a respray is the answer. It has a few dents both in the metal and the plastic "Sacco" panels, but nothing serious. There is no corrosion.

The emphasis must be on corrosion-resistance and long term durability, not on concourse presentation. At the same time, I'd like the heated rear window replaced and an investigation into any potential corrosion there. So, a Mercedes person is sought, with understanding of these "rear screen" issues.

Any ideas as to likely cost, rear screen aside, for a respray? Obviously, the rear screen is going to add a pretty big chunk.

South/Southeast England would be my preference but I'd be prepared to extend that for the right team. I've a friend in Hitchin so around there might be handy. Anywhere in the southern half of England!

All suggestions gratefully received.

Best to all.

RayH

How long is a piece of string?
Materials could range from $500-15000 depending on what kind of paint system was used and the prep work could cost the same. Corrosion resistance is probably a harder problem to solve than concourse paint because concourse cars don't go out in the rain.

If you're not thinking about stripping it back to bare metal and just want to remove all the trim pieces, lights, door trim, glass etc, sand it back down to primer, apply an epoxy sealer and then base and clear. I think that you're already in it for $5000 and you won't get a more durable than factory finish.

If your car is a solid color (not metallic) consider taking it to a good detailer who can clean, polish wax and seal the paint. Apply wax oil on the underside of the car and in the knooks and crannies and then spend the other $4000 on a winter beater so that you can avoid taking it out in salty and wet conditions. It will last a lot longer than a new paint job.

Will mean changing from your original factory solvent based paint system to a water based one? Replacing the bonded rear screen is going to be expensive-parts and labour. £1,000+ for a pukka MB one - when available?

Yep a piece of string does spring to mind. I've seen terrible paint jobs which cost £5k and recently saw a beautiful plain white bare metal panels off detailed paint job on an early 911 turbo which cost less than £1k.

Hi, have you got glass cover on your insurance ? that'll cover any issues. The best of luck, keep 'em flying.

I just got my 300CE24 resprayed in Almandine. I didn't need the plastic bumpers or side panels doing because they were still mint. I bought two front wings from MB for exactly £400 the pair. The spray shop fitted them and repaired two spots of rust on the drivers door caused by plastic panel rubbing grit into the paint. The AMG flat disc wheels were shot blasted, powder coated bright silver and then the centre of the wheels and hub caps were spayed dark metallic grey. The offside rear wheel arch needed some work to get rid of rust that had been caused by a poor minor accident repair over 25 years ago. Also the back window had delaminated over 25 years ago too, so I thought I might as well get that done. A small bubble of rust beneath the rubber was found when the back window was taken out and this was treated too. The repair spot is now covered by a new rubber window seal so it cant even be seen.

The fresh paint covered the bonnet, doors, wings, boot lid and rear panel, plus the roof pillars. All the fittings were removed, and any imperfections in the paint were sanded out. The only part not painted was the roof and sunroof panel. Also the headlamp wipers were painted, and the replacement seatbelt butler cover that had come from Germany in black was painted in Champagne 265 interior paint too match and fitted to the nearside. There was no rust or dents to be found on the nearside at all. All the hidden panel recesses and wheel arches were wax protected. A new rad grille was fitted too.

The engine bay was valeted. Unfortunately there was insufficient time for the cam cover to be removed and sprayed, along with the Mercedes raised silver lettering on the black engine top cover.

Right so how much? The back window cost approx. £460, excluding a £29 window rubber. The whole bill including the wings, wheels, headlamp wipers, seatbelt butler cover, Almandine respray, and back window replacement was £3297 The basic paint spray excluding wheels and back window was roughly £600 paint and £1400 labour.

I do have to say the paint finish is superior to the original Mercedes finish, which in places had been slightly "orange peel". The car is now looking the best I have ever seen it, including when it was purchased in 1994 aged 3 with 20K miles on the clock.

Now that the car is looking so perfect, anything less than perfect stands out. So the engine cover and roof are the next projects, along with replacing the metal strips on the door entry kick plates.

Interestingly I notice that Patina is showing a very steep rise in 300CE24 prices for the last two consecutive years after a long period of flat prices. Its also interesting that the number of 300CE24 cars that are taxed on the road has fallen by 75% over the last decade to just 78.

So the £3k bill might be a lot, but it certainly has increased the value in the car by a lot more, not that I am planning on selling it after 25 years. But I must sort out an agreed valuation with my insurers or else I will be making a big hit if there is a total loss.

One tip. If you have to wait 2-3 months to get the spray job into the workshop, and you see that here are already expensive restoration cars in there like E-types and Jensens, then it is a good sign that the bodyshop are good at their job.

Unfortunately Ray, if you want to get the job done at the same place, you will have to drive Up North to Lincolnshire and leave the car for 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:
Lincolnshire. It's not a million miles. What's the name of the outfit?

And £3K9 for all that is most interesting. Especially as the underside of mine has already been done.

And the rear screen; it's obviously an aftermarket product but by whom? Pilkington? Another?

A most encouraging reply. My thanks.

RayH

I just got my 300CE24 resprayed in Almandine. I didn't need the plastic bumpers or side panels doing because they were still mint. I bought two front wings from MB for exactly £400 the pair. The spray shop fitted them and repaired two spots of rust on the drivers door caused by plastic panel rubbing grit into the paint. The AMG flat disc wheels were shot blasted, powder coated bright silver and then the centre of the wheels and hub caps were spayed dark metallic grey. The offside rear wheel arch needed some work to get rid of rust that had been caused by a poor minor accident repair over 25 years ago. Also the back window had delaminated over 25 years ago too, so I thought I might as well get that done. A small bubble of rust beneath the rubber was found when the back window was taken out and this was treated too. The repair spot is now covered by a new rubber window seal so it cant even be seen.

The fresh paint covered the bonnet, doors, wings, boot lid and rear panel, plus the roof pillars. All the fittings were removed, and any imperfections in the paint were sanded out. The only part not painted was the roof and sunroof panel. Also the headlamp wipers were painted, and the replacement seatbelt butler cover that had come from Germany in black was painted in Champagne 265 interior paint too match and fitted to the nearside. There was no rust or dents to be found on the nearside at all. All the hidden panel recesses and wheel arches were wax protected. A new rad grille was fitted too.

The engine bay was valeted. Unfortunately there was insufficient time for the cam cover to be removed and sprayed, along with the Mercedes raised silver lettering on the black engine top cover.

Right so how much? The back window cost approx. £460, excluding a £29 window rubber. The whole bill including the wings, wheels, headlamp wipers, seatbelt butler cover, Almandine respray, and back window replacement was £3297 The basic paint spray excluding wheels and back window was roughly £600 paint and £1400 labour.

I do have to say the paint finish is superior to the original Mercedes finish, which in places had been slightly "orange peel". The car is now looking the best I have ever seen it, including when it was purchased in 1994 aged 3 with 20K miles on the clock.

Now that the car is looking so perfect, anything less than perfect stands out. So the engine cover and roof are the next projects, along with replacing the metal strips on the door entry kick plates.

Interestingly I notice that Patina is showing a very steep rise in 300CE24 prices for the last two consecutive years after a long period of flat prices. Its also interesting that the number of 300CE24 cars that are taxed on the road has fallen by 75% over the last decade to just 78.

So the £3k bill might be a lot, but it certainly has increased the value in the car by a lot more, not that I am planning on selling it after 25 years. But I must sort out an agreed valuation with my insurers or else I will be making a big hit if there is a total loss.

One tip. If you have to wait 2-3 months to get the spray job into the workshop, and you see that here are already expensive restoration cars in there like E-types and Jensens, then it is a good sign that the bodyshop are good at their job.

Unfortunately Ray, if you want to get the job done at the same place, you will have to drive Up North to Lincolnshire and leave the car for 2-3 weeks.
Sounds great that, Apial, any pics? :)

Lincolnshire. It's not a million miles. What's the name of the outfit?

And £3K9 for all that is most interesting. Especially as the underside of mine has already been done.

And the rear screen; it's obviously an aftermarket product but by whom? Pilkington? Another?

A most encouraging reply. My thanks.

RayH

Hi Ray,

They are Flash Paints | Flash Paints. The owner has been spraying for 35 years and knows his stuff. He gave me an estimate at the start, and the price came out correct at the end even though I added a few little extra tasks for them to do. I certainly would use them again.

The back window was made by Pilkington, and comparing to the original, the biggest difference was the word "Pilkington" printed on the glass. Autoglass came and did the window, but ABC Windscreens in Lincoln gave me a similar price to do the job too. I can't really say the Autoglass guy had the correct method to take the old window trim off. But he did at least finish the job correctly, and in hindsight the rear screen outer seal did need changing anyway, even without him chopping it up with cheese wire! Get a new window seal before you start though.

Sounds great that, Apial, any pics? :)
Well here is a quick snap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom