Respraying bumpers - good bodyshops around West Surrey?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A-AvantGarde

MB Enthusiast
Car
2015 911 Turbo S, 2019 Volvo XC90 T5 Polestar Optimised
I have an opportunity to get an AMG rear bumper for my W203. I'm really keen to get it as I've just got hold of a C32 AMG exhaust system that I'm due to get modded to fit my C320.

I can get this rear bumper pretty cheap (well for nothing of a mate who's had his replaced after some insurance work:) ) the only issue is my car is Brilliant Silver and his old bumper is Black. There's very minor scuffing which would fill in fine but I don't know how well the bumper can be resprayed from Black to Silver. I'm paranoid about flaking / peeling.

I was going to call R&C Coachworks in Slough (who did Maff's car recently) for a quote on re-spray & fitting the AMG bumper. I think I'd prefer an insurance approved type place but it's the quality of the job that I'm interested in especially as I need to change the colour of the bumper...

I've searched the forum and have seen refereces to Coachcraft near Heathrow. Anyone got any ideas on who to try around Surrey / Berks would consider West / South West London too.

Any idea on cost for a full respray on a single bumper?

And no funny jokes about respraying the rest of the car as it's already primed please!!!

About £150 from Gemcar in Wembley.
Done a stunning job on my SL AMG bumper and have painted numerous bumpers for me in the past. Faultless job.

KLP 92 said:
About £150 from Gemcar in Wembley.
Done a stunning job on my SL AMG bumper and have painted numerous bumpers for me in the past. Faultless job.

Cheers, that was a quick repsonse. Your SL bumper looks great. Recommendation is the best ad! So you don't think I'll have any probs re-spraying the bumper silver as the original bumper colour being black?

Wembley would be fine to get to, do you have any contact details for Gemcar?

I have used Vanleigh for over 20 years,father and son outfit, they have looked after all my cars and are great,they are in West Molesey,if you need the No P M me.

Peter.

I'm going there next week to get my back bumper painted as its got a few nicks on it.

KLP 92 said:
I'm going there next week to get my back bumper painted as its got a few nicks on it.

Cheers mate. Is this bodyshop next to George Fraser's place by any chance? Will call them on Monday & try to get down there within the next couple of weeks too depending on what they say...

Thanks guys. I called the following to get a very rough price over the phone today:

R & C (Slough) - Approx £300
Vanleigh (West Moseley) - between £200 - £350
Gemcar (Alperton) - need to see bumper first

They are all busy this week but could fit me in next week. I plan to try and show the bumper to all of them within the next couple of days.

Plan is to leave the bumper with one of the three to get it prepped & painted prior to leaving the car with them for a day. They all seem okay with this approach and it saves the car being away for a couple of days.

I guess there shouldn't be any issues / problems with paint match as the bumper is a complete moulding and no blending or other bodywork is required???

Will post some pics once it's done!

As far as I know there should not be any blending in of the bodywork required at all as the entire bumper itself shall be resprayed.

When are u going to source the front AMG buper and side skirts? Ur car will no doubt look really nice.

Speak To Earle at R&C (Director) who is involved in the everyday running of the business and he will make sure that they look after u and carryout a good job.

£300 is way too much for a bumper paint. Good backstreet bodyshops charge £75-100 and insurance approved ones privately should be under the £200 mark.

What is the definition of a "Back Street Bodyshop"?.

Peter.

Non insurance approved and shabby premises/shed but they may do a decent quality job...

Yeah, pretty much. But majority of them these days have ovens and do a decent job for not much money.

Cheers guys for the recommendations, will let you know how I get on, just got to escape from the office for long enough to sort it out.

I've managed to get the side skirts now too off ebay.de, they arrived this afternoon and are painted luckily in Silver :) They look fantastic and appear to have come off a 2004 car, wonder what happened to that one???

Still trying to source the front bumper for a reasonable cost.

Any thoughts on how I should do this now that I've got the side skirts... I really really want to get the exhaust on now....

Options

1. Fit rear AMG bumper with exhaust but leave rest as standard (i.e. standard side sills & Elgance front bumper)
2. Fit rear AMG bumper & side skirts at the same time with the exhaust
3. Wait for the AMG front bumper & fit the whole lot together

I'm favouring 1 or 2, can't wait :)

How about option 1 or 2, with say a 'time limit' that if you can't find a matching front bumper within a few weeks, you shell out at the main dealers :p

Should look nice if it's all done properly :)

Good luck,

Will

A-AvantGarde,

Off the subject,as you live in Camberly are you coming to the Rolling Road day on the 16ty July?.

C43AMG said:
A-AvantGarde,

Off the subject,as you live in Camberly are you coming to the Rolling Road day on the 16ty July?.

I didn't realise it was being held here. I'm interested sounds convenient , I've asked Vixpy when I need to confirm by. Hope to see some of you there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom