Restaurant in Calais?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Popping over to Calais on the 12th -13th Feb to get some food and booze :D

Anybody recommend a nice restaurant? More interested in a typical French bistro/"mere et pere" type place than somewhere fancy! Type of place with a very limited choice but good French cooking. I know some in Paris but not Calais

Thanks!

Take a stroll down Boulevard Lafayette and you should find something suitable.

Not been but highly recommended by a friend I trust absolutely. Great (and reasonable) wine list. Stick to the set menus rather than the much more expensive carte.

Le Channel

There's a little place just inside Auchan in Calais, by the beach.

Isnt food and booze more expensive in france now than it is here now our pound is so weak?

Short answer - no.

Longer answer - it depends....Top restaurants still astonishingly, eye-gougingly expensive in France, all others still cheaper for the quality of food and wine. If you are a winelover, prices can be significantly cheaper for the best wines in French restaurants. The one I suggested has some of the greatest domaines in France on its list at prices half that of UK retail (which is on average about a third of good restaurant wine prices here). Tax on booze much lower in France too.

Isnt food and booze more expensive in france now than it is here now our pound is so weak?

The booze & food bit is for stuff that IS cheaper or you can't get here - stubby beers, Pineau (SuzyQ LOVES the stuff!), chateau bottled wines, non-label champagne, everyday salamis/cured meats, pates, duck confit, a wider variety of cheese etc.

And as for dining out I'm afraid that (IMHO) mid-range restaurants in France "get it" much more than in the UK in terms of value for money and service. I am sure there are exceptions here but I suspect that they are few and far between. I know I can get very good food and service here, but boy will I pay for it. And don't even get me started on finding everyday restaurants that serve British food in Britain :wallbash:

Last edited:
Not been but highly recommended by a friend I trust absolutely. Great (and reasonable) wine list. Stick to the set menus rather than the much more expensive carte.

Le Channel

What a lovely restaurant - thanks so much for the recommendation. Not only the food and wine (which was top class) but the service!! The maitre'd complimented SuzyCute on her hair whilst seating us. Yes, she did look stunning but for him to comment like that totally set the tone and made her feel so special :thumb:

Considering the quality and the ambience it was good value. Approx 120Euro for the 2 of us and that was with a very nice bottle of Roussillon indeed. Like I said, the French "get it" about this kind of thing

That's made my day - I'm very glad you enjoyed it, it gives me even more faith in this friend's recommendations. I must persuade a friend or two to make the trip.

What a lovely restaurant - thanks so much for the recommendation. Not only the food and wine (which was top class) but the service!! The maitre'd complimented SuzyCute on her hair whilst seating us. Yes, she did look stunning but for him to comment like that totally set the tone and made her feel so special :thumb:

Considering the quality and the ambience it was good value. Approx 120Euro for the 2 of us and that was with a very nice bottle of Roussillon indeed. Like I said, the French "get it" about this kind of thing

As an aside, on the way down I phoned my son to check if the supermarkets open later on Sunday as in the UK. Good job I did 'cos he came back with the fact that no supermarkets open on Sunday!! Our plans were to get the shopping on Sunday then home - can you imagine what would have happened if I had not checked.

Of course, it would have been totally my fault as stated by Suzy Cute :rolleyes:

We are of to Calais next Thursday. Did you have to book for Le Channel?

We are of to Calais next Thursday. Did you have to book for Le Channel?

We did book and it was full. That was a Saturday though. You can book online though via the website in English (so no need to practice your schoolboy French! :rolleyes:)

Would be interested to hear your view. The wine list is the thickest I have ever seen and some of the prices per bottle will make you gasp! :eek:

Bon Voyage!

The wine list is the thickest I have ever seen and some of the prices per bottle will make you gasp! :eek:

Yes - but they are the real bargains!

Don't tend to stray too far from "house" wine - my knowledge isn't that great so tend to trust that they will have selected something "reasonable"

so no need to practice your schoolboy French! :rolleyes:

How did you know my French is that good:eek:

Staying at Holiday Inn, Coquelles, so likely to want to drive to restaurant - what's parking like in the area?

Last edited:
How did you know my French is that good:eek:

Staying at Holiday Inn, Coquelles, so likely to want to drive to restaurant - what's parking like in the area?

No problem at all

Excellent meal in nice surroundings whith friendly staff.
Had their 29.5€ menu - excellent quality & value
That wine list was a shock though - nothing under 25€ a bottle, although I didn't dwell, I saw one bottle at 1700€!!!!!

Thanks for the recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom