Restaurant in Reading...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
London St Brasserie, in the centre by river/near oracle shops

I ended up driving to "Sweeney todds" (as I found a recomendation online)... we couldn't get a table, so stopped a La Tasca just around the corner... pseudo-spanish, but ok food. Bill ended up at around £40 each...

Tonight I'm staying in the hotel as I haven't tried the restaurant here - it is the hotel connected to the stadium, so I'll let you know richard ;)

M.

We went to their sister restaurant, La Becasse, in Ludlow last week and it was outstanding.

I think Becasse used to be Bossi's place before he upped sticks and parked in Mayfair. I also think (but I'm not sure ) that he trained the new chef/patron. If Becasse is anything like Hibiscus was/is then it must be very good. Mm...must visit soon to find out!

shame you could not get into sweeny's, great pies and beer!!

If you head towards basingstoke you have the wellington arms and also the jekyl and Hyde at turgis green (about 15mins from Stadium)

shame you could not get into sweeny's, great pies and beer!!

If you head towards basingstoke you have the wellington arms and also the jekyl and Hyde at turgis green (about 15mins from Stadium)

Can recommend both of those from when I worked in Basingstoke :D

So here's my update... The hotel (Millenium Madjeski or something like that, still can't spell their name) has 3 places to eat, and I've now tried all three:

The Bar:
- Good selection of wine & drinks.
- Food is expensive (£9.95 for a bacon roll) and is decidedly mediocre... also consists of mainly sandwiches...
- Service is... mediocre at best. The waiter is over-eager. Asks you what you want to drink the instant you sit down, if you ask him to give you a minute to choose he wont come back for another hour or so...

Le Cafe:
- Wine selection is average... most wines are by the bottle, so unless you have someone to share with the choice is down to 2 red or 2 whites... chablis not being one of them
- Food is acceptable. Nothing special (the rump steak is better than the sirloin, the sole isn't a sole - but is otherwise good, and the venison burger is cholesterol in a plate). Pricewise it's mid-range (£30/£35 per person with a bottle of wine and 1 of water shared between 3-or-4 people). Other than the very limited menu (after 2 weeks here I've tried every dish on the menu) isn't too bad. The specials can be intersting (scallops wrapped in bacon with black pudding for example). The deserts are VERY limited...
- Service varies. If you can, get Sophia. She's extremely friendly, very helpful and really makes you feel "at home" (which is rare for a hotel). The added bonus is she speaks Italian and is very pretty ;)

Cilantros:
- Drinks have a very large selection. The barman is very capable. The "crooked" glasses are an interesting touch
- Food is almost nouvelle-cuisine. Interesting mixes of flavours and textures. It has an almost fixed menu (3 menus to choose from, £49.50 per menu with 7 small "courses" each). I wouldn't eat here every night, but it's definetly worth trying.
- Service is good, but nothing special. Overall cost came out to almost £80 per head including wine&drinks

So there you have it - my review of the hotel's eateries :p My usual hangout is 'le cafe' but only because I get good service... I'm getting a little bored of the food there frankly... luckily tomorrow night I go back home and will get a nice home-cooked meal!

M.

I'm more of a £10 firey curry guy myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom