Restoration of Parking Brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AdrianHowson

Car
Vito 2012 113 CDI
Hi - I am about to take ownership of a Viano 2012 8 seater automatic. The previous owner (for what ever reason has replaced the parking brake with a slow electric actuator operated from a crude switch beside the selector). Sure, I have complained to the dealer since it doesnt even appear to work but maybe he will patch it up. And the gearbox being an automatic I guess it isn't the most vital function. My question is, how hard would it be to put the whole footbrake/handbrake assembly back. I can see the parts on line (footbrake, release button) - is it just a cable assembly and something a mechanic can do (of course until I get at it I don't know what the modification looks like under the hood) ? Generally I am looking for advice which may help me force the dealer to do a better job before I take it over?. TIA

Best suggestion I've had - maybe the hand release was too difficult. Either way I am hoping the dealer finds it easier to restore the brake rather than mend the modification. Is the brake mostly a cable system?

How possible to just get the different system working effectively,
I assume it has passed previous MOT's.
It may even be an improvement??

Informing insurance of the mod might be another issue.

Personally,unless the viano was a steal or you desperately needed it I would have walked away and found another before trying to retrofit a braking system. But each to their own.

Thanks for your suggestions - the dealer has fixed the brake - still using the actuator but it works now. Its probably a bit better than the usual footbrake - I will just fit a better switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom