Restore colour of lower rear bumper trim?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
So I've started to notice that this trim, which is in between the rear exhausts and low down on the rear bumper (where the rear diffuser would go if I had one), has become more and more light grey.

If I look in early photos, it looks grey but on closer inspection, it looks black.

Is this best restored using Back to Black or some grey colour restorer i.e. what colour did it start off?

I quite like it grey to match the body colour actually.

I've no plans to fit a diffuser. I prefer the sleeper look.

I use old fashioned boot polish on mine, seems to work a treat. I've heard of them being restored with the judicious use of a heat gun, not tried that myself.

Maybe try some Gtechniq C4, it's not cheap but then you don't have to reapply it every month or so.

Trim Restorer

I also find the Autoglym bumper care does a great job but it does wear off over time.

AG Bumper Care I find works well when worked in with a rag.

Car plan black trim wax is cheap and really effective, did the bumpers on a Ka that I was selling, the difference was night and day when I'd finished.

Well, I tried your suggestion first Artyman - already had some boot polish so had nothing to lose.

It did a good job overall but I could see a couple of blotches which I couldn't get rid of - that's lasted fine though for a couple of weeks.

So the next cheapest option was the Car Plan Black Trim Wax which I just applied.

Took the review suggestion to use a paintbrush and I have to say it goes on really nicely - it's like paint. Paintbrush avoids touching it on things that shouldn't be black (grey paintwork, exhaust chrome etc.).

Then polishing off was a doddle.

Will give it some time to see how it works out but looks great so far.

Very impressed for a fiver... :thumb:

Halfords bumper paint black as all you need. Spray can for £10

Worked wonders on my wiper blade and front numberplate surround.

Ian_Mac said:
Maybe try some Gtechniq C4, it's not cheap but then you don't have to reapply it every month or so. Trim Restorer I also find the Autoglym bumper care does a great job but it does wear off over time.

^ as in GTechniq or CarPro DLUX as an alternative.

Armour All Tyre Foam will restore all your rubber and plastic to 'as new' just spray on a cloth and wipe, job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom