Restoring Diamond Cut Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vincenz

Car
W209 CLK 200K Coupe
All
I have seen a set of diamond cut 8 hole wheels for the w124 however they are suffering from that 'stringy' corrosion (is it lacquer or something peel off) i don't know.

Anyway is there a way of properly restoring the diamond cut finish, i know alot of restorers just fill scrapes then spray / repaint, but this would loose the finish.

Anyone got any experience of restoring them?

Thanks in advance.

The diamond cut finnish can be replicated, but it wont last anywhere near as long as the factory finish. Personally Id go for a very bright shadow effect silver.

Yes, I have experience, and I should have heeded the advice of one of the several places I consulted before getting the job done: painting gives a far more durable finish. The diamond-cut & lacquer finish seems intrinsically vulnerable, which is why you'd be lucky to get a warranty on it from refurbishers, and mine started breaking down again within about a year of being done. Next time I'll choose from the vast range of painted finishes available.

Hmm thankst gents, I suppose its why its not common on other alloys, as I said in a previous thread my spare hasn't been re-furbed so it looks tip top apart from a bit of edge corrosion.

I have found a set on ebay that need a re-furb but haven't had the finished sprayed over.

I may just get the original ones re-done.

Just a postscript: I bought my Coupé when it was four years old and the original factory finish was deteriorating enough for me to ask the dealers who they used for refurbishing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom