Restoring That New Car Ride Quality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ricks Cafe

Car
E250 coupe
Hi All

The ride quality of my 2004 c180 sports coupe has deteriorated over the last few months and I would like to do what I can to restore it as close to when new as possible. The car has done 1008k miles.

I will be replacing the front shocks, springs and top mounts in the next fortnight.

What would you suggest would be the most beneficial parts to replace and in what order?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi All

The ride quality of my 2004 c180 sports coupe has deteriorated over the last few months and I would like to do what I can to restore it as close to when new as possible. The car has done 1008k miles.

Many thanks in advance.

Not surprised after more than a million miles :D

Shocks and tyres contribute to a good ride more than anything else but springs and suspension bushes all play their part.

Thorough and extensive checks to all steering and suspension metalastic bushes and ball joints.
Shock absorbers all round (quality Bilsteins)
Particular checks to anti-roll bar bushes & drop links as well as steering rack mounts.
Decent branded tyres.
Ride height check & adjustment.

Martin

Many thanks for your guidance and advice.

I will check all those items mentioned and those I cant will get my indie to do.

Cheers :thumb:

I'm looking for the same feeling with my 56 plate CL203 C180K I've got good quality tyres with the new wheels I have but the car understeers badly so I'm going to order up a H&R anti roll bar kit also decided the brakes need a tweak so gonna renew brake fluid and change the discs and pads all round. I'm going for basic discs and pads on rear and EBC for the front. Anything else worth changing, I'd like a suspension kit but just can't justify spending over £500 let alone £1000 for coilys

Last edited:
Fit the same brakes front and rear or you will end up with too much nose dive and a very badly balanced car under braking.

Pagid aren't real cheapo though. The point remains but the effects may be negligible dependant on what is fitted.

Just as an update.............

Checked the front torque and control arms yesterday and they had clearly seen better days.

Replaced all 4 today and what a transformation in the ride! All bumps are far less harsh and the car feel more planted.

Renewing the front springs and shocks next which will hopefully will further improve the ride quality.

Ricks Cafe said:
Just as an update............. Checked the front torque and control arms yesterday and they had clearly seen better days. Replaced all 4 today and what a transformation in the ride! All bumps are far less harsh and the car feel more planted. Renewing the front springs and shocks next which will hopefully will further improve the ride quality.
What year and mileage has your car done mate? When I go over a speed hump it feels like the front has fallen into a ditch, such a thud! Sometimes feels like the N/S/F wheel isn't connected to the steering wheel, only had an MOT a few weeks ago.

Just as an update.............

Checked the front torque and control arms yesterday and they had clearly seen better days.

Replaced all 4 today and what a transformation in the ride! All bumps are far less harsh and the car feel more planted.

Renewing the front springs and shocks next which will hopefully will further improve the ride quality.

What brand of control arms did you use, and where from/£££?

When the weather improves and I have a little free time I need to sort out the front suspension on a W203 coupé :)

Its a 2004 c180 coupe with 108k on it.

Check the components as mentioned in Paparazi`s reply above.

Hi Will

I used Lemforder from Eurocarparts. Alloy arm was approx. £85 and the steel arm approx. £80.00. Not cheap but money well spent.

The lemforder bushes euro car parts have, are they poly urethane? Or just good quality standard bushes?

Lemforder are usually OEM spec only.

Any ideas on how long they last? I really want to poly bush as much as I can, I've done searching on here and found a company who does them but it's only the front wishbones, I'm looking to do as many as possible

So much is dependent on how and where you drive so it would be unwise for me to comment but I have heard the figure of 100,000 miles banded around on lemforder bushes.

Don't know how true that is but I've never had to do the same joint twice on any of my cars.

I know little about poly bushes but apparently they give a little less so stiffen everything up. I have heard they will last 2 - 3 times longer but I have no experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom