Retention certificate - Grantee/Nominee advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

23 Romeo Tango

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
X253 GLC 250 || Aufrecht, Melcher, and Großaspach
In 2017 I bought two cherished plates for when my two Children turn 21. After buying them the retention certificates were put in the safe and forgotten about. Now my Son has turn 21, I took his certificate out and noticed that the Grantee is the seller (Elite Registrations) and I am a Nominee. My question is, can this registration be assigned to a vehicle that neither I nor Elite registration own i.e. my Sons car.

If this isn't possible, what are my options?

I aren't able to try to assign the number to his car at the moment using the V5C 'new keepers slip' (already tried) as the seller transferred the car online making the old V5 null and void. My Son is waiting for the new V5 logbook to come in the post before we can try anything, so I thought it would be best to throw my issue out there and use the waiting time to find a possible solution.

Looking online and at the notes on the reverse of the retention certificate I understand I could apply for my Son to become a Nominee. As far as I can work out this can only be done by post by completing section 2 of the retention certificate, but requires the Grantee's signature in section 6, no big deal. At the time of purchase I explained my intentions but when Elite Registrations originally sent the retention certificates they had signed section 1 so I as Nominee could assign the number to my car (which was never going to happen). If as nominee I aren't able to assign the number to my Sons car what are the chances DVLA would have a problem with the retention certificate being signed in both sections (S1 and S6)?

FWIW, my Daughters retention certificate is the same as above, but not needed for another 3 years.

I'm sure the good people of this Forum will be able to come up with the answers I'm looking for. TIA.

To the best of my knowledge, the friction point here is that you're not the Grantee, so you don't have the authority to transfer it to anyone else. You therefore have 2 options.

1) Get Elite to change the nominee details to your son (for which they will no doubt want their pound of flesh for the privilege)
2) Assign it to a vehicle in your name, and then put it back on retention. You will become the grantee, not Elite, and can declare your son as the nominee to allow him to put it on the car.

Thank you for the 2 options above 👆🏼. They are the 2 options that I came up with and in fact I originally typed them to my original post, but removed them again as it was becoming lengthy.

I would imagine No1 would be the cheapest option (marginally), but I would still have the possible issue of having section 1 and section 6 signed by Elite, unless they apply for a new retention certificate, but that starts to complicate things a little further.
Obviously No2 is the easiest for me, but at the expense of 2 x £80 and is probably the way I will go.

Thanks again. Lesson learnt.

Option 2 it was.

I assigned the number to my car and removed it again when my new logbook arrived 4 days later. I changed the number with my insurance online free of charge. Last Friday it was assigned to my Sons new car using the reference number given when I applied online to remove it from my car.
Job done.

tQYmcyo.jpg

IBoKKi0.jpg

One down, one to go, although I'll have to choose my timing with this one as my Daughter doesn't know anything about hers. Obviously I don't want to display it on my car while she is around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom