Retired members forum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
I suspect one or two of us on here may, by virtue of advancing years, are no longer active in the fast moving world of employment.

Just out of interest, what (apart from posting on here) do we do with our time?

Me. The weather is improving so, a little light gardening, car fettling, fishing, domestic duties and cooking the evening meal.
We are also doing a bit of a house renovation over the next 4 months or so.

After 6 April, I may also blow my pension savings on fun, fun, fun.

SWMBO is coming up to retirement this month and we are trying to nail down the best pension options for her. It aint easy I can say that much.

One thousand six hundred and twelve days, eleven hours, twenty three minutes to go.
I'm looking forward to it.

Today is my first day of retirement and it's not an April 1st joke. Finished full time employment yesterday and now chasing money owed to me!

Have done the retirement / pensions / annuities spreadsheets and pretty pleased with the end results after 49 years of work. Was asked to do a 3 day week on a contract basis / daily rate but having the next 3 weeks to do some stuff first. Lake District next week and TEchno CLassica with MB Club the week after for 4 days. Building work, allotment, gardening, finding a new car, cleaning new car........ The list is endless.

We should start a separate lounge for old bu##ers?

One thousand six hundred and twelve days, eleven hours, twenty three minutes to go.
I'm looking forward to it.

not that you're counting or anything :D

I'm semi retired now, having done the corporate hamster wheel for many years. I've now managed to build my business to where I can get work down to 3 / 4 solid days.

Still don't seem to have enough time for hobbies sadly. But then again I still have a young family so enough said.

Trapperjohn seek the services of an IFA if your wife's pot is worthwhile. It's money well spent if you get a good one, watch out as there are a lot of restricted advisers pushing products.

Just out of interest, what (apart from posting on here) do we do with our time?

Just now, still very much tied to the house because of building work.

Lined up after redecorating/flooring the whole house are trips away, hobbies (tailoring, clay pigeon shooting, guitar, piano lessons), some courses I will have the time to do without work getting in the way as well as the usual day to day stuff. And posting in "Ban the person above you" for the crack.

Nearly 19 years since taking early retirement at 50 with a full pension :D. I haven't worked full time since. I did some consultancy work which was basically what I was doing before but on a part-time basis and for a lot more money.:D I fitted this in with working for a prestige/sports car company spending most of my time driving around in fabulous cars and taking photos of them - naff all money but I didn't care. My only work now is looking after the marketing (including building a website) and accounts for my wife's business. The time in between has been taken up with all those little jobs around the home that take forever and make us retirees wonder how we managed the time to do when we were working.

But I'm soon going to be back to full time work - my gorgeous young wife is expecting our (first and hopefully only) baby in 5 weeks time! :D Proves that there's life still left in the old dog and I just hope this old dog can survive.

knighterrant said:
Nearly 19 years since taking early retirement at 50 with a full pension :D. I haven't worked full time since. I did some consultancy work which was basically what I was doing before but on a part-time basis and for a lot more money.:D I fitted this in with working for a prestige/sports car company spending most of my time driving around in fabulous cars and taking photos of them - naff all money but I didn't care. My only work now is looking after the marketing (including building a website) and accounts for my wife's business. The time in between has been taken up with all those little jobs around the home that take forever and make us retirees wonder how we managed the time to do when we were working. But I'm soon going to be back to full time work - my gorgeous young wife is expecting our (first and hopefully only) baby in 5 weeks time! :D Proves that there's life still left in the old dog and I just hope this old dog can survive.

All the very best with the arrival of a baby, my wife and I are foster carers and we have a new born with us, the shock to the system of broken sleep after 12 years (our youngest child) has been quite something but at almost 70, I salute you Sir! Hope everything goes brilliantly.

Paul

I'm only 58 so full retirement wasn't something I'd thought of...until on 30th January I'd had enough.

I had been an IFA for most of 30.5 years and decided to de-stress. Fortunately, a directorship had opened up in one of the family businesses and so now I have an easy job, which keeps me busy (sometimes 7 days a week) but with no worries at all.

I'm only 58 so full retirement wasn't something I'd thought of...until on 30th January I'd had enough.

I had been an IFA for most of 30.5 years and decided to de-stress. Fortunately, a directorship had opened up in one of the family businesses and so now I have an easy job, which keeps me busy (sometimes 7 days a week) but with no worries at all.

Lucky man walking away from all the post rdr woes. Not old enough to do the same myself and have too much invested in my firm at the moment.

But one day............. I keep telling myself

I'm 62, worked the last 14 years part time,mornings only then got fed up with work last May 2014, jacked it in and now caring for the wifes elderly parents, gardening, walking and selling model cars on ebay. Plus polishing the Merc. I do not miss the hassle of work only the people.

I took early retirement at 54 when they started buggering about with our final salary pension scheme, so I got out before any damage was done. I did a bit of freelance for a few years but it has more or less dried up to less than twenty days a year.

To be honest, I don't know how I found time to go to work. Between the golf course and my guitars (and banjo and ukulele :D), plus the general day to day bustle I'm certainly not at a loss for things to do.

I retired early Christmas 2012, one of the lucky ones who gets the full pension and it's a very good FSP which actually works out to I get each month now more than I took home when working........funnily enough I love this retirement sh1t :thumb:

Trapperjohn seek the services of an IFA if your wife's pot is worthwhile. It's money well spent if you get a good one, watch out as there are a lot of restricted advisers pushing products.

Ballpark figure - what do you call a "worthwhile" pot?
And can anyone recommend a good IFA?
Can IFA discussions be done on-line or is it a face to face thing?

Ballpark figure - what do you call a "worthwhile" pot?
And can anyone recommend a good IFA?
Can IFA discussions be done on-line or is it a face to face thing?

Depends on what the IFA will advise on, as a rough rule sub £50k most IFA's won't be interested.

Check out unbiased.co.uk and vouchedfor.co.uk for well rated local advisers.

I offered an IFA an incentive based deal in place of the up front and annual fixed percentage he wanted - he was not in the slightest interest, even though he would have made good money by being successful with my account (and made nothing if he lost us money!).

Decided instead to take the pot away from large investment management firm and do it myself through Hargreaves Lansdown - compared to the large investment management firm I save us about £3k pa in fees, and my choices have done as well or better than theirs!

If you have the time for internet research, DIY is not that difficult!

BTW, I retired in 2003, a few years earlier than planned but, thanks to Gordon Brown's effect on the stock market, we were forced to either continue working until 60-65 instead of 55 planned, or sell the big house, downsize and use the equity from the big house to fund retirement. No brainer - and we were lucky, sold the big house just before the market bombed!! Most days now are in my carpentry workshop cabinet making, working mainly with oak. Love it! Herself also keeps me busy with a "honey do" list around the house, including little surprises like deciding to buy a new living room carpet today - so fun getting the room empty to put it down!

Last edited:
If I had listened to own advice when I very successfully sold pensions I'd be joining you all in July this year when I hit 60 :wallbash:

Instead I'll need to work till at least 65, helped by the fact that Sue is 12 years younger than me so we can maybe stop together (she is in the old style NHS pension)

I have a few paid-up final salary pensions that will mature which together with my current works pension and Sues NHS pension should at least mean was have a reasonable income compared to some

Could have been so much better though!

If you are younger and reading this it is NEVER too early. Go on, chuck another £10 a week in - you will never miss it but the difference at the other end is huge!!!!

I offered an IFA an incentive based deal in place of the up front and annual fixed percentage he wanted - he was not in the slightest interest, even though he would have made good money by being successful with my account (and made nothing if he lost us money!).

Don't blame him, it's asking him to be paid more or less depending if the tide is in or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom