Retrieving the American flag - live on SKY.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
They are starting to demolish the house where the guy fell into the sink hole.

First the enormous excavator gently removed the American flag mounted on the roofline of the property, before laying it on the lawn, where the emergency services guys took their hats off, showing respect.

Whatever your thoughts on the yanks, I thought that was a lovely touch.

I'm not a big lover of the yanks but you can't fault them for their patriotism.

I would imagine if the homeowner saw fit to put it there, others (perhaps including his next of kin) would have wanted it to be treated respectfully, as it was.

Compassion knows nothing about........................

Last edited:
I would imagine if the homeowner saw fit to put it there, others (perhaps including his next of kin) would have wanted it to be treated respectfully, as it was.

It's just a bit of cloth with some stripes on it.

No need for a ceremony when taking it down.

HTH.

Totally disagree. We have a bit of cloth with some stripes and crosses on it. Proud to have severed under it and for it.

And that's were we differ nick. Want to wind someone up - try a different subject.

It's just a bit of cloth with some stripes on it.

No need for a ceremony when taking it down.

HTH.

I consider myself helped :rolleyes:.

It was symbolism - it can pass some less sensitive people by.

Totally disagree. We have a bit of cloth with some stripes and crosses on it. Proud to have severed under it and for it.

It's just a flag, bit of tradition for the sake of it, but no need to start the weird worship the Americans seem to take over theirs.

Their kids have to salute it every morning:

Pledge of Allegiance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not normal behaviour.

And this served thing is lame too, if you want to join the forces good for you, but don't expect to gain god like status.

Last edited:
It's just a flag, bit of tradition for the sake of it, but no need to start the weird worship the Americans seem to take over theirs.

Their kids have to salute it every morning:

Pledge of Allegiance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not normal behaviour.

And this served thing is lame too, if you want to join the forces good for you, but don't expect to gain god like status.

6f1dc917.gif

Flags are important symbolic tokens to many- witness the recent civil unrest associated with the removal of the Union Flag from Belfast Town Hall. I do find American attitudes somewhat schizophrenic at times where their undoubted patriotism often seem to clash with a deep distrust of the Federal Government as if there was simply no connection between the two which sort of flies in the face of reality?:dk:

I fear where this is going, having simply reported on a touching (to me at least) moment.

Silly me - I must remember it's a forum :doh:.

I fear where this is going, having simply reported on a touching (to me at least) moment.

Silly me - I must remember it's a forum .

You don't consider it a bit of over emotional reaction, then?

Nope, but then I'm a sensitive soul.

I do find American attitudes somewhat schizophrenic at times where their undoubted patriotism often seem to clash with a deep distrust of the Federal Government as if there was simply no connection between the two which sort of flies in the face of reality?:dk:

"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious"- Oscar Wilde.

Imaginary lines put in place to segregate people into thinking that they are more superior than their neighbours pretty much sums up patriotism to me.

Will, again you have have to ridicule another's sensibilities?

How sad .....

I like the fact they take pride in their country and whilst I think the flag thing is OTT there's a lot we could learn from them, the French, Italians etc in having some pride in our heritage, culture, traditions and country.

Patriosm is a good thing, it unites people in pride in where they live and are from. We don't IMHO have enough of it, the Americans IMHO go a bit far but they're a new country still.

"150 million U.S. flags are sold in the United States every year"

What do they do with so many flags??????

""It' says American Patriotism right on the label and then 'Made in China."

Good news for China though.

"The Senate-approved All-American Flag Act was introduced in response to the $3.6 million in imports of U.S. flags, mostly from China"

Lawmakers push for American flags to be 'Made in the U.S.A.' | Fox News

nick mercedes said:
"150 million U.S. flags are sold in the United States every year"

What do they do with so many flags??????

""It' says American Patriotism right on the label and then 'Made in China."

Good news for China though.

"The Senate-approved All-American Flag Act was introduced in response to the $3.6 million in imports of U.S. flags, mostly from China"

Lawmakers push for American flags to be 'Made in the U.S.A.' | Fox News

Put them on their houses.

Who does it hurt, harmless bit of national pride. Meanwhile here in blighty we bleat and moan about how our traditions and customs can offend new comers to the UK.

nick, are you opposed to flags, Americans, or both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom