Retro fit Linguatronic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy27168

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
65 Plate E350 CDI Convertible, 2006 CLS 55 AMG, 1997 C230K, 1999 C43/55 AMG
Hi,
I am exploring the option of retro fitting Linguatronic in my CLS55, Has anyone done this? offer any pointers?
I have done a bit of research, and it seems that I will need to find a Linguatronic control unit and fit an additional stalk on the steering column, and a new steering column shroud. Any other parts required?
Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Andy,

i retrofitted linguatronic on mine, tbh not worth wasting time over! i think i used it once to try it out, cant even rem how to use it now lol!

yes control module, stalk, some fibre and a loom to splice in

been a while since i done it but happy to help if you decide to go ahead

I've got it on my car as said, I don't use it and I wouldn't waste my money on it, it's pretty crap!

Retrofitted it in my C270, well the guys at Comand did :) and have it in the CLS. Brilliant bit of kit, wouldn't be without it now.

Only really frustrating thing is one cannot mute an audio source by voice command! Have use the mute button on the COMAND. :(

Got it on mine. Dont use it much.

Handy for replying to texts though. Mrs TDE1 has got used to my messages ending in 'Eggs eggs eggs'.

XXX

Got it on mine, tried it out - useless, I never use it now. Don't bother!

Wheres your modding spirit guys? :)

Get it fitted!, It might be useless but so are my paddleshifters (they look good though)

Exactly my thoughts Karl, and having done the Paddleshifters too lol.
I have retro fitted full Voice Control (VCS) in my Audi and know it can be quite a hateful system to use. I was hoping the MB system would be a bit more usefully functional, though I only anticipate using it the same way I use the Audi one regarding programming destinations in the command on the hop and making phone calls.
Alps I take it you're 55 has the same Command unit as mine (nav processor in the boot without the SD slot) with full phone prep?
With regard the extra stalk did you just have to fit a new stalk? complete with the switch pack behind it? (if you know what I mean) anything you can remember regarding what you did would be a massive help cheers.

Wheres your modding spirit guys? :)

Get it fitted!, It might be useless but so are my paddleshifters (they look good though)

What do you mean they are useless, worth every penny for the satisfaction that comes from stroking that cold metal every trip.

On a more practical note, I find I actually use them now whereas I didn't use those horrible buttons at all. Clicking it down a couple before starting to overtake is a far more pleasant and controllable experience than the all or nothing kick down.

Linguatronic is great for inputting addresses

works quite well considering the version in the 219 is a very early version of voice control.

once you associated a phone number with a name, you can simply flick the lever, say "Call John", and it does it. You may have to say "Telephone" first.

What do you mean they are useless, worth every penny for the satisfaction that comes from stroking that cold metal every trip.

On a more practical note, I find I actually use them now whereas I didn't use those horrible buttons at all. Clicking it down a couple before starting to overtake is a far more pleasant and controllable experience than the all or nothing kick down.

haha, I know what you mean. They have a great 'feel' to them :thumb:

I was always pressing the buttons by mistake during a 3-point turn, doesnt happen now.

Will be fitting them again on my next car should it not have them fitted.

Exactly my thoughts Karl, and having done the Paddleshifters too lol.
I have retro fitted full Voice Control (VCS) in my Audi and know it can be quite a hateful system to use. I was hoping the MB system would be a bit more usefully functional, though I only anticipate using it the same way I use the Audi one regarding programming destinations in the command on the hop and making phone calls.
Alps I take it you're 55 has the same Command unit as mine (nav processor in the boot without the SD slot) with full phone prep?
With regard the extra stalk did you just have to fit a new stalk? complete with the switch pack behind it? (if you know what I mean) anything you can remember regarding what you did would be a massive help cheers.

Hey Andy

yes should be the same control unit - make sure you get the correct one (EPC) British one!

there are also a number of stalk packs - don't read anything from the US as they all have a different setup - a lot easier to install on the US models.

still think your better off adding the other options - your cash tho :)

Alps

Hey Andy

yes should be the same control unit - make sure you get the correct one (EPC) British one!

there are also a number of stalk packs - don't read anything from the US as they all have a different setup - a lot easier to install on the US models.

still think your better off adding the other options - your cash tho :)

Alps

Yes I have sussed out the Pt. No. for the Control Unit, which I am keeping an eye open on E-bay for currently, but a bit confused regarding the wiring/fibre, I take it the Linguatronic needs to sit in the fibre optic network, but what about the wiring to the control unit, it looks like about the only wiring going to the unit is a power supply and the microphone(s) in the rear view mirror, I am under the impression my RVM will be suitable as I have the phone set up. Where do I pick up the microphone cabling phone unit in the boot?
I,m not sure what else I could do "easily" did think about keyless go but scared off a bit because of the work around the EIS etc.
I am starting to assemble the parts for Distronic, just need the front grill (not sure whether I can just replace the grill star in isolation) and a sensor which I am having difficulty in finding as they are all stupidly expensive, it appears the CLS uses a 230 pt. no.
I can,t think of anything else as my CLS pretty high spec. now.

if I remember correctly the wiring is picked up on the drivers side rear next to\beside the rear seat cable run

let me know when you find out the part number for the stalk, there were two types if I remember correctly

haha, I know what you mean. They have a great 'feel' to them :thumb:

I was always pressing the buttons by mistake during a 3-point turn, doesnt happen now.

Will be fitting them again on my next car should it not have them fitted.

I defo have to do this, or perhaps get a new 'wheel with paddles already fitted (mine's a bit worn anyhow...)

I also catch the damn buttons on tight turns, especially 270deg roundabout turns. Makes for exciting exits though :eek:

I do use the buttons for overtakes. Press and hold the left one, 'box drops as many gears as required for maximum warp :devil:

Yes I have sussed out the Pt. No. for the Control Unit, which I am keeping an eye open on E-bay for currently, but a bit confused regarding the wiring/fibre, I take it the Linguatronic needs to sit in the fibre optic network, but what about the wiring to the control unit, it looks like about the only wiring going to the unit is a power supply and the microphone(s) in the rear view mirror, I am under the impression my RVM will be suitable as I have the phone set up. Where do I pick up the microphone cabling phone unit in the boot?
I,m not sure what else I could do "easily" did think about keyless go but scared off a bit because of the work around the EIS etc.
I am starting to assemble the parts for Distronic, just need the front grill (not sure whether I can just replace the grill star in isolation) and a sensor which I am having difficulty in finding as they are all stupidly expensive, it appears the CLS uses a 230 pt. no.
I can,t think of anything else as my CLS pretty high spec. now.

When I first started my MB journey and was just reading anything vaguely related to the car I'm sure I read an article about retrofitting the phone hardware and it implied that linguatronic was part of it, just needing the stalk and a bit of coding to get it going...maybe this was the US version Alps mentioned?

Cheers Alps much appreciated, though I have just spent an hour or so looking at the EPC trying to suss out the additional wiring looms, but I'm afraid it has just confused me, though it doesn't help that my EPC will only acknowledge the first six figures of my vin. Think I might have to sign up for the official one, and take another look.

Hi Gents,
Thought I would update this thread as five years on I have actually completed this retro fit.
Initially I put this one on the back burner because i was involved in my Distronic retro fit.
With my Distronic fit being completed I never found the time or inclination to do the Linguatronic.
But with the recent lockdown I found myself looking at it again, and with access to WIS and the online MB EPC, I looked at this again.
Though I knew I could get a complete retro kit with instructions to carry this retro fit out, I felt it was to expensive to justify it to myself, especially when the expensive parts required could be sourced considerably cheaper second hand off of Ebay.
Linguatronic (VCS) on a NTG1 Command system requires the following to be carried out
  1. Installation of a VCS Control Unit.
  2. Installation of VCS actuation stalk on Steering Column.
  3. Installation of additional Fibre Optic Cables.
  4. Re-routing of RVM microphone cabling.
  5. Identifying, Wake-Up, Positive and Negative supplies and run them to the new VCS Unit.
  6. STAR Coding.
Parts required​
  1. New Stalk
  2. New Column shroud and closing piece (colored to the car interior
  3. VCS Control Unit C/W connector assembly and unit mounting screw.
  4. Two lengths of FO Cable approx. 1m in length (can be shorter but could be difficult to run if they not exactly the right length the longer length does allow a sweeping coil to be stowed easily within the confines of the equipment/wiring tray).
  5. Inline splice, for FO Cabling.
  6. 0.35mm CSA cabling multiple colours (x6) for microphone wiring, approx, 2m of each.
  7. 0.5mm CSA Pink cabling approx, 2m of each, for Wake Up function of VCS Unit.
  8. 0.75mm CSA Brown and Red cabling approx, 2m of each, for Positive and Negative of VCS Unit.
  9. Approx. 12 of MQS uninsulated crimps (can supply if required as I ended up buying 600 of them) for the VCS Connector.
  10. Approx, 12 of solder sleeve cable connectors (used for all cable jointing).
  11. Cable loom tape.
  12. Approx. 12 small cable ties.
As i suspect this info is only going to be used by other slightly "mad" retro fit enthusiasts I will not go into great detail of the various removal/installation processes but just list the various procedures required and allow google to do the detail and/or rely on the experience of the retro installer. I will add any specific notes to assist in any issues I came across that I feel are that are of worth.​
  1. Steering Wheel, Steering Control Module and Steering Column Switch gear removal, to enable fitting of the new stalk. A bit fiddly with very small screws, but straight forward and as the complete assembly can be removed from the car to the work bench is a fairly straight forward task.
  2. Access to the existing Telephone Control Unit (TCU) located in the back of the boot under the black plastic cover of the equipment/wiring tray.
  3. Fit VCS Unit in appropriate slot on the plastic equipment/wiring tray.
  4. Identify Microphone wiring in the TCU main plug, extend to the plug of the new VCS Control Unit.
  5. Identify and splice into the TCU Wake-Up, Positive and Negative Power Supply, splice into them and extend to the VCS Control Unit.
  6. Disconnect Fibre Optic (FO) Connector from the TCU and remove FO Cable from pin 1 (MOST IN), and extend to pin 1 (MOST IN) of the VCS Unit.
  7. Run new FO Cable from pin 2 (MOST OUT) of the VCS Unit to pin 1 (MOST IN) of the TCU.
  8. Coding new VCS unit to identify which RVM version is installed (2 or 4 microphone variation).
  9. Coding with STAR of the new MOST configuration in the Audio Gateway Unit (AGW), re-start of the FO ring (May require the fuse of the AGW to be removed/replaced for approx 10-15 minutes).
See below for pin designations of the TCU and VCS, these details are for the RVM with 4 microphones (old) new RVMs and later cars only had two microphones so the pin designations will be slightly different, but I can add these changes to the this thread if requested.​
Telephone control unit – N123/1 – Plug
Voice Control Unit – N41/3 - Plug
Pin 11 – TR – Transparent - Shield (Remove too VCU)Pin 16 – TR – Transparent – Shield, (White).
Pin 12 – GN – Green – GND (Remove too VCU)Pin 14 – GN – Green – GND.
Pin 32 – GY – Grey – Mic.4,(Remove too VCU)Pin 6 – GY – Grey – Mic.4
Pin 31 – OG – Orange?? – Mic.3 (Remove too VCU)Pin 5 – OG – Orange?? – Mic.3
Pin 30 – VT – Violet – Mic.2(Remove too VCU)Pin 15 - VT – Violet – Mic.2
Pin 29 – PK – Pink – Mic.1 (Remove too VCU)Pin 4 – PK – Pink Mic.1.
Pin 20/21 – RD – Red (Loop too VCU)Pin 9 - Positive
Pin 3/4 – BN – Brown (Loop too VCU)Pin 19 - Earth
Pin – 24 – PK – Pink WAKE UP (Loop too VCU)Pin 18 – Wake Up (Pink).

This I believe should be the same for the 211 E Class, and possibly the same for any NTG1 Command equipped car though I could specifically investigate if requested.
Any further explanation, or detail etc. will be glad to supply as required.
If you find this info thread useful or want more explanation please like it which will highlight it to me, and prompt a response.

Good write up Andy, went through this pain many years back on the E55....tbh I don't think I ever used it afterwards... for me it was just to tick the options box :)

Hope you get some use out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom