Retro fit navi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianchips

Car
GLC 43 AMG
Hi, i just bought a new W204 coupe , i bought it off the peg from my local dealer , it has no Sat nav , they told me they could fit one for £500 ( seems extreme ) ? , i guess its already prepared for one , and i have seen them advertised on E Bay for £40 and upwards ..so

1. Are they easy to self fit ?
2. How do i ensure i am buying the correct unit ?

newbie .
:eek:

A 204 should be pre-wired for a Becker map pilot which is a blackbox which plugs into a socket in the glovebox. lots on ebay it should be just plug and pray and interface with the std 204 audio/display system.

ianchips said:
Hi, i just bought a new W204 coupe , i bought it off the peg from my local dealer , it has no Sat nav , they told me they could fit one for £500 ( seems extreme ) ? , i guess its already prepared for one , and i have seen them advertised on E Bay for £40 and upwards ..so

1. Are they easy to self fit ?
2. How do i ensure i am buying the correct unit ?

newbie .
:eek:

From what I understand there are 2 different versions with diff internal memory sizes i.e. 4gb and 8gb

With the latest map and software my one has over 6gb of its storage used so on its own I dont see how you could upgrade the software and maps of the 4gb one. Latest version ends in 51.

There is an SD card slot too whick you could put a card in ( they are cheap now i.e £5 for 8gb) which would get you round the size issue I believe as you could just put maps on card and leave os on device.

I have used the becker for about 3 weeks now and its no tomtom but perfectly adequate, I like the speed warning function which you can set to tell you if your over the limit in a pleasant voice rather than harsh beep or whatever. Its fiddly at best putting in postcodes and I wouldnt expect to use the voice function to enter addresses as it isnt very good, infact I think it only worked once in maybe 15 attempts

I did exactly what you are asking about, bought my W204 Estate last year new without Map Pilot and bought one off an e-bay seller for £330. Yes I know it's not the cheapest, but it was a Nov 2012 production 8 gig unit and the seller is in England, for which I am prepared to pay the extra few quid. Downloaded latest maps without trouble, and the unit worked straight away. It has failed to start once, last Friday, when the car said it couldn't communicate with the Map Pilot, so I e-mailed the seller, who suggested re-setting, but I didn't want to have to re-download the maps so I just plugged into the laptop and interrogated the files, which were still in the unit, put it back in the car and all OK.

The hardest part of the whole business is getting on your knees to fit the thing in the glovebox!

IMHO the reasons for buying the Becker rather than some other unit are the integration into the car's systems rather than having cables dangling about and a telltale ring in the front screen when you leave the car. It costs a lot more to repair a busted window and glovebox lid. The PTT system seems to get better the more you use it, unless it's getting used to my Staffordshire accent!

Last edited:
thank you

Thanks for all the posts, just been out bid on E bay for an 8gb one that went for 228. i have a Tomtom, but the trailing wires hassle and the unsticking from screen etc .

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom