retro fit sat nav unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris.chambers

Car
Toyota Avensis / Mercedes C220 CDI Avantgarde
Hi,

On my 2003 c class C220cdi is it difficult to replace the standard CD radio with the sat nav version?

No. Its pretty easy. Just need to get the right one. It will be the older CD based unit. Very basic but it works well. Be careful when buying one because physically identical units are not all the same. Check the part numbers. You have to remove the gear surround to get at the lower screws holding it in. The trickier bit is removing the air vents to get at the upper screws. Just remember you can't navigate and play CDs at the same time without a CD changer. If you don't have one that may be an issue.

Retrofitting Comand

Call these people to discuss.
They are on the forum too.
Your c class is a w203 generation.
Whilst I am not entirely sure about the possibilities, it will not be cheap. It may well be that an aftermarket setup is more cost effective, though it will not blend in so well in the cabin. Come resale time, you won't get your money back and would have to split the unit to gain maximum resale value of car and unit but probably alot of hassle.
My 2c
Les

are there not some aftermarket android type units to fit the older C's? surely retrofitting old comand would be just annoying as it is so out of date now?

On the BMW forums, they rave about aftermarket double din units by a company called Dynavin. Have a google and see what you think. As someone said - if you go for a DVD based Mercedes unit from 2003 surely the actual satnav will be annoyingly out of date?!! My car is from 2005 with Comand and there's loads of roads even just around Kent that aren't on there.

Hi,

On my 2003 c class C220cdi is it difficult to replace the standard CD radio with the sat nav version?

If your 203 is the face lifted version (like mine) then you are NOT restricted to the older Comand unit at all..

I had the NTG 2.5 hard drive Comand retro fitted to mine..
Its got built in Blutooth and can store MP3 music ..
The beauty of this unit is that its totally self contained and there is NOTHING else to fit in the boot..
This will only fit if yours is the facelifted 203.. See photo:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info, sure it is the facelift so happy days

Straight swap would be the Comand NTG2 (DVD based) which would have been the factory fitted Comand unit for your car.

Or you can fit the newer harddisk based Comand NTG2.5 as sspeed has. You will need to buy the NTG2.5 retrofit kit. Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: COMAND Retrofit parts :: W203 last C Class & CLC, W209 CLK, W463 G

Above only applies if yours is a post-facelift, are you sure yours is as you say it is a 2003 car?

If yours is a pre-facelift your options would be the older CD based Comand 2.0 unit or you could fit Comand NTG2 but you would need to upgrade the centre console to a post facelift. See this guide: MWSTEWART.CO.UK | Facelift Centre console upgrade and Audio 20

My car is from 2005 with Comand and there's loads of roads even just around Kent that aren't on there.

Its 7 years old so what do you expect. You need to buy a map update.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom