Retro-fit Sunshine Roof C180 Coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colin.osborn

Hi Guys,
Just purchased a 2005 C180 Coupe and have been told by my local dealer that they can't retro-fit any sort of sunshine roof. I just want to check with 'those that know' whether this is true, or are they just following the MB Company line on this ie "You should have bought one with the roof fitted in the first place!!"
Many thanx,
Colin.

I think a sun roof would be a hard retro fit, not only would a hole in the roof need cut, but the electrics pit in place and the interior of the car adjusted so the roof mechanisms etc could be accomodated.

C class coupes aren't that rare and one with a sunroof probably would have been available.

Welcome BTW

Hi ive just had a look on WIS (mercedes workshop info system) and it is not listed as a retrofit item supported by MB im afraid. Im sure that theres company's out there that will do it but MB workshop wont.

Hi ive just had a look on WIS (mercedes workshop info system) and it is not listed as a retrofit item supported by MB im afraid. Im sure that theres company's out there that will do it but MB workshop wont.

WIS only covers a marginal subset of the retrofit stuff that can reasonably be installed, mainly the things even MB workshops are willing to do.

But sunroof needs not only removing and replacing existing parts but also doing a lot of metal tooling, not only cutting a hole. You may find some cheap after market options but I'd forget the idea and consider it again at the next car purchase.

A sunroof in a car means lots of extra strenthening . in the c class coupe its the pano one too so thats a huge hole to cut!

buy a new car..

A sunroof as would have been fitted as original equipment by MB is not available, however many companies offer similar products which can be retrofitted.
Simply type in "sunroof installers" into your web browser - ie - Google - and find one local to you.

Something like this...............
http://www.executiveautocare.co.uk/inbuilt.htm

Example of a retrofit sunroof in a Mercedes ML..............
http://www.executiveautocare.co.uk/...ercedes_ml_inbuilt_head_lining_blind_open.JPG
http://www.executiveautocare.co.uk/...xamples/mercedes_ml_inbuilt_external_open.jpg
http://www.executiveautocare.co.uk/...cedes_ml_inbuilt_head_lining_blind_closed.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome

the original pano roof could be obtained from a breaker, but this would involve a lot of work in fitting.
(labour= £££)
cheaper to get aftermarket if its that important
Fortunately most coupes have air con

Before buying my W203, a friend advised me strongly to try to find one with a sunroof. Not easy, but I did find one and bought it - and I am very glad I did. It opens up the interior and gives a much more spacious feel - even when closed. Light and airy.
Air Con or not, I would recommend a sunroof to anyone.

I would love a sunroof in my ML

However when looking none after 6 months had one, the earlier cars did have the full sunroofs but I hear problems with these.

Dad speced one on his E320Cdi from new (around £900) makes you smile a bit as its glass and a few years ago no chance would a merc have a glass roof it would be steel !!

Anyway I have enquired and I think its a Webesto one that can be fitted just as the factory one for the same price (£900). Its tempting as I miss my last car that was a convertible.

Easy option is to say get another car, it took me agers to find a well looked after, low miles one and then to look again to find one with a sunroof not easy at all.

Cheers

I was so fortunate with mine. I starting looking for a W203 with the combination of :
a) sunroof
b) colour I liked
c) comand
d) affordable
e) facelifted
f) leather
g) sports pack (if possible)
h) auto

So lucky that one of the first I looked at fitted the bill............

Hi Guys,
Just purchased a 2005 C180 Coupe and have been told by my local dealer that they can't retro-fit any sort of sunshine roof. I just want to check with 'those that know' whether this is true, or are they just following the MB Company line on this ie "You should have bought one with the roof fitted in the first place!!"
Many thanx,
Colin.

I really wouldnt do this if I were you. It wont look OEM, may weaken the roof and may go horribly wrong. I'd think about changing the car if the sunroof is that important to you.

Before buying my W203, a friend advised me strongly to try to find one with a sunroof. Not easy, but I did find one and bought it - and I am very glad I did. It opens up the interior and gives a much more spacious feel - even when closed. Light and airy.
Air Con or not, I would recommend a sunroof to anyone.

I agree with you, but a sun roof takes away quite a bit of head room I find, if your quite tall it does help if the car hasn't got one. I had an X5 with a massive full lenght job, and because of the black headlining I was grateful to have the sun roof otherwise it would have got a bit depressing in there, but it did erode the head room and even with the seat in its lowest setting, there was still not much head room.

I have to agree with comments posted. There's modding but this job is too big and to expensive to be done not i even i would attempt that sort of mod. As others have said if it means so much change the car. Even though i have one in the C55 i have yet to use it let alone slide back the blind - MB aircon does the job for me - well almost.

Just find your local webasto dealer... sunroof can be retrofitted. i have had several done for customers.

not cheap though.. proper job can cost between £600-£1300

Thanks

May affect your insurance too...you have to inform your insurance company.

From speaking to my friendly chap at MB Direct, his advice is never to fit an aftermarket "Pop-Top" to any car. Apparently it devalues them enormously. Not sure why really but I agree with the sentiment.

His actual words, to quote the vanacular, and you need to imagine this with a Brummie accent, were....."It's so F...ing 80's. Nobody wants s..t like that these days and it's f...ing hard enough to sell cars as it is right now." Perhaps not the most eloquent way of putting it but those are the words from the dealer's mouth. Tells me all I would want to know anyway.

Personally I would stick it on the wish list for the next one. And since the dealers are having such a rough time.....well, now just might be the time to have someone's pants down. ;) Example of today when I was there was a 54 plate E200 Kompressor Avantgarde Auto with 47k on the clock. £9995.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom