Retro fitting Xenon headlights to a C209 CLK MY 2006

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MWCLS

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320 CDI Perlite Gray Metallic 2005
I recently purchased a CLK 280 Coupe 2006 model 1 Doctor owner with 60k and full MB history the car is in amazing condition and has a good spec unusal colour bluey silver ( AMG factory body kit and wheels ) adjustable air seats. The audio 20 was outed by the previous owner for a aftermarket double din jobbie which looks good.

I got the car for a very good price. My only hate it those god awful halogen headlamps!

Ive searched the web and keep getting conflicting info.

Cutting to the chase can it be done. All of my cars for the last 10 odd years have had xenon headlights which i prefer the look and the obvious advantage over halogen.

I sold my CLS which was heavily specced (,bought the wife a 2013 B class for baby duties.

Any pointers where to start?

Any advice on indeed companies that can do the conversion would be gratefullys recevied.

Thanks

Michael

Last edited:
I have seen sets aftermarket on ebay for the £300 mark not oem.

There are also these hid kits. Totally confused!

I know its not the end of the world but the halogens just make the car look poverty.

Any input from anyone who has done this conversion. Im sure it can be done. Forum sponsers or pointers to companies that can do the whole thing. Im not mechnically or diy competent unfortunately.

I seem to be going backwards in cars but i guess thats a growing famiily and a mortgage to pay. I certainly didnt want to finance a car so the wife had a result and im driving a lovely car albeit with candles for head lights :doh:

You will need to get it on STAR to enable Xenons also. I didnt bother with mine as it ended up being £££

Yes it can be done and done properly. Not cheap though, you'll need the light units (obviously!) sensors and wiring.

I also had washers fitted, though some might argue it's not required for the MoT

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/elec...tted-thanks-prestige-car-service-black55.html

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/125791-another-retrofit-installed-thanks-pcs.html

Thanks for the links, the car does hsve headlight washers. If going oem im looking at 1000 pounds parts alone then fitting?

You will need to get it on STAR to enable Xenons also. I didnt bother with mine as it ended up being £££

Thanks,

I get what your saying but its such a nice car, do you know of anyone in the essex / Cambridgeshire area that would be up to this sort of retro fit and have star for coding?

Yup, OEM xenons are approx £1k, add approx £150 for the loom and sensors, with labour of 4 to 5 hours...

Yup, OEM xenons are approx £1k, add approx £150 for the loom and sensors, with labour of 4 to 5 hours...

Wow should have kept the CLS! So aftermarket there must be options. I dont think i need the self levelling as i have the disc in the car that levels the candles. Thanks again.

Im not going to get to hung up on oem headlamps especially with a 10 year old car. So aftermarket jobbies must be available? These seem to be around the £300 mark plus fitting....a false economy possibly?

Last edited:
Can be done cheaper than OEM

Something like these~ (not necessarily these exact lights)

https://m.alibaba.com/product/17704...D.html?spm=a2706.7835515.1998800312.18.ar19Qj

There are plenty out there with HID's installed within the headlight units as opposed to installing them hanging out the back, and drilling through dust caps etc

If any issues with wiring, this website will more than likely have a harness~

http://www.kabeldaviko.de

I got lights for mine from Winpower lighting (although a C class) they might have some for yours they do decent builds

Coding was for the car to have 'Xenons=On' in STAR, I think one independent near me said £40 to code. They will most likely work straight away but with the dash message 'offside low beam out' or the like, the same coding should take that off- that was the info I was told with mine and others who fitted the same

Last edited:
Without coding xenon retrofit will come on OK for a short while then they start to flash constantly. Depending on the model year one may have to change the front SAM to recognise the lamps.

Last edited:
It seems if i want a job done right without dash errors, strobing headlamps. There is only one way, oem.. Now to see if i can justify spending probably circa 1500 - 1700 pounds . I intended on keeping the car roughily a year. I'd pay £500 odd but £**** however nice the car is, it is what it is.

That will learn me never to buy a non xenon car agian! :wallbash:

Thanks for all your help and input guys.

If i can get some sort of headlamp upgrade inc xenon bulbs fitted and coded in and around the 500 - 600 mark that would be good.

Ash your link doesnt work. :thumb:

Have a look at lightmare.org

I do agree on some of the newer cars the headlamps are ridiculously bright and dazzling.

The age group of vehicles my car falls into never seemed to be an issue what with ILS systems, yes i agree they are a little over the top and dazzle you.

I am just more about how the car looks and xenon for that period car. I dont want a christmas tree set up.

Perhaps you could upgrade to the clear projector style halogen headlights. Seem to be plenty of aftermarket units. Fitted with Nightbreakers should give an improvement in light output plus give the car the more modern look?

Perhaps you could upgrade to the clear projector style halogen headlights. Seem to be plenty of aftermarket units. Fitted with Nightbreakers should give an improvement in light output plus give the car the more modern look?

Thanks for the idea. But for me its all or nothing. Nothing worse than wanna be xenons .:thumb:

Tbh The actual light units suit the car ... just missing the xenon bulbs.. well i may well just live with it. Its short term. Just the car had all i was looking for bar xenons. The xenon cars i could find lacked 80% of the other options plus were no where near as clean ..so a comprise.

Digressing , Ironically all lot of the M3 ( E46 ) reverted back to halogen. The CSL it was a preferred non option. Weight saving :dk:

I doubt it was weight saving, more like cost and ongoing maintenance.

Dilemma is i spent what i wanted to spend on a CLK. Spending alot of money to retro fit for a year i guess is burning money.

Just missing the size of the CLS and toys. But it wasn't viable right now as i became obessed with cleaning it and not using it and i dont really want to leave it dropping like a stone in the garage... unless one can afford to!

Im supposed to be going up car wise not down! But priorities i guess, plus i dont fancy paying a large finance payment each month on a new or nearly used car.

Last edited:
I doubt it was weight saving, more like cost and ongoing maintenance.

Your probably right i had a e46 m3 guess what that ended up a garage queen.

Need to drive them and forget out cleaning within reason.

Im a member over on m3 cutters. Alot of cars get stripped for weight saving including the xenons .. horses for courses i guess.

Last edited:
Another thing i have noticed slightly off topic. Most police cars don't have xenons. Anyone know why?; cost maybe a factor but doubtful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom