Retro fitting Xenon headlights to a C209 CLK MY 2006

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Perhaps because one can't flash xenon lamps, so the Police couldn't have the alternating headlamps?

I'm sure I was watching an old episode of Wheeler Dealers where Edd was fitting HID headlamps and a caption appeared stating words to the effect that "It's now illegal to retrofit HIDs", something to do with self levelling or lack of perhaps?

It is illegal to fit HiD to existing halogen lamp units as the units aren't type approved for xenons.

The self-levelling and washer debate rumbles on. Many look at the many cars sold with xenons but without the rest. Also the MoT says if they are fitted they must work. I've never seen my MB dealer test the washers during an MoT

Why not try some upgraded halogen bulbs? Phillips Extreme vision or Osram Nightbreaker. Worth spending the 30 quid if it saves 1500

Silly question, but other than from how well they light the path ahead, what advantages are there of 2006 spec Xenons?

I ask this as have/have had Xenons in quite a few MBs (CLK, E, CL) and I wouldn't say they were anything to get excited over.

I see/use quite a few new/newish cars without Xenons with just as good performance?

I'd recommend for the low cost (under £50?) a headlight restoration kit (3M etc) and some upgraded quality bulbs (Oscan/Philips etc). As you have probably decided, no point spending £1k+ on lights for a ten year old car? :eek:

Save the extra cash towards the CLKs future replacement? :)

As above; I don't think the xenon beams in my CLK are that much better than the halogen bulbs in my Nissan... once I'd replaced them with better bulbs (although still within the legal power range).

What about LED bulbs as a compromise; brighter, white output than halogen bulbs and should fit as a direct replacement.

The xenons in my CLS are quite woeful, despite the fact they are less than 1yr old (replaced because the levelling motor failed in one of the original units). Whereas the xenons in my S203 (which I had retrofitted) were literally night and day compared with the factory fitted halogens.

The main issue with fitting led headlamps is the serious amount of heat they generate. A poorly executed modification could lead to a melted lamp unit

Silly question, but other than from how well they light the path ahead, what advantages are there of 2006 spec Xenons?

I ask this as have/have had Xenons in quite a few MBs (CLK, E, CL) and I wouldn't say they were anything to get excited over.

I see/use quite a few new/newish cars without Xenons with just as good performance?

I guess for a 2006 model, the halogens were pretty poor compared to the xenons. My W210's (2000) halogens were that poor you could just about make out they were on!

Technology has come a long way and I agree newer cars with halogens are much brighter than say a 10 year old car.

I think it's a no brainer if you are only going to keep it for a year, just buy some better performance bulbs as mentioned earlier and make sure the next one has them fitted :thumb:

Don't be scared to retrofit, bulbs flashing and the sort are easily solved :)

Spend £500 ish on decent aftermarket fitted lights, or near £2000+ for OEM

Even if aftermarket lights eventually broke, you still have the headlamp unit and another set of HID's aren't expensive

Thanks guys for your input, i am just going to fit a set of night breakers. The xenon, was for me puerly looks but at that cost and the length of time i will be keeping the car it is pointless. HIds are a definite no. Just a bit barry boy racer. A year from now ill be glad that i didn't' do it as the car will be replaced with a much newer MB model.

I just have to be patient and wait for the next MB which will have all bells and whistles this is just a stop gap whilst with 2 under 2 another one the way a horrendous mortgage...it's just plain daft.

The wife got the best deal with the 13 plate B class but then again i don't have to give birth so she deserves it

Thank you for making me see the light ;)

Tbh i like the car its incredibly clean for 10, plus it's a nice colour combination quite rare with the factory kit and alloys it makes the car look a little bit more special than the vanilla CLK.

Last edited:
Nightbreakers are great but aren't amazing, I have them in mine

Also, you realise HID and Xenon are mostly the same thing, right? Wether it came from factory or in a box that you fit yourself :dk:

It depends what you want them for, looks or performance

Don't think fitting nightbreakers will be the same feel as xenons, as you'll be very disappointed. The difference is night and day, this goes for looks and performance. Nightbreakers are bright for about 8 months and then need replacing, and have more of a white-ish yellow hue

If you're after purely looks, Osram and Phillips do have lines producing bulbs with blue-ish hues, although they are illegal and ghastly to be on the receiving end

Aftermarket projectors, fitted with HIDs are no more Barry than a pair fitted from factory with a Mercedes badge stamped on. Only difference is one is fitted before the car, the other some time after if never fitted

The key with this setup is to house HIDs in projector units, not in any old regular headlights, which would lead to dazzling anybody in front < that is where the common misconception with HIDs stems from I think. Not sure why you'd think they're 'Barry'?

Last edited:
I find Philips Extreme Vision +130s to be both brighter and whiter than Nightbreakers.

I have 4x H7s of each in my CLK and E46 respectively.

PS you'll be lucky if the CLK lasts a year with your rate of family expansion.

Last edited:
I find Philips Extreme Vision +130s to be both brighter and whiter than Nightbreakers.

I have 4x H7s of each in my CLK and E46 respectively.

PS you'll be lucky if the CLK lasts a year with your rate of family expansion.

Haha.

Nightbreakers are great but aren't amazing, I have them in mine

Also, you realise HID and Xenon are mostly the same thing, right? Wether it came from factory or in a box that you fit yourself :dk:

It depends what you want them for, looks or performance

Don't think fitting nightbreakers will be the same feel as xenons, as you'll be very disappointed. The difference is night and day, this goes for looks and performance. Nightbreakers are bright for about 8 months and then need replacing, and have more of a white-ish yellow hue

If you're after purely looks, Osram and Phillips do have lines producing bulbs with blue-ish hues, although they are illegal and ghastly to be on the receiving end

Aftermarket projectors, fitted with HIDs are no more Barry than a pair fitted from factory with a Mercedes badge stamped on. Only difference is one is fitted before the car, the other some time after if never fitted

The key with this setup is to house HIDs in projector units, not in any old regular headlights, which would lead to dazzling anybody in front < that is where the common misconception with HIDs stems from I think. Not sure why you'd think they're 'Barry'?

I understand what your saying Ash as the bulb tech is the same. You just don't have the xenon D2s style bulb whuch i prefer. I spoke to a couple of a hid installers non of which would put in writing road legal and mot safe when fitted to halogen lenses.

The barry bit just reminds me of years ago neon and stupidity bright head lamps.

Last edited:
MWCLS said:
I understand what your saying Ash as the bulb tech is the same. You just don't have the xenon D2s style bulb whuch i prefer. I spoke to a couple of a hid installers non of which would put in writing road legal and mot safe when fitted to halogen lenses. The barry bit just reminds me of years ago neon and stupidity bright head lamps.

You can have any bulb you like, and they say that because you're only enquiring about bulbs

Said bulbs, need to be housed in projector lenses and not regular halogen housings

Just fit uprated bulbs, it surely isn't worth all the cost of a new OEM upgrade, or potential problems with aftermarket ones.

I've seen too many threads where people have fitted aftermarket bits, ie led bulbs etc., only to then spend ages trying to sort it all out.

Having said all that, I fitted some uprated halogen bulbs (can't recall make /type) to the wife's A-Class and can't say I really notice any difference. BUT it's your car, your money, not for anybody else to say what to do.

My 2p---

I have a c class w204 2008 sport fitted with projector halogen light units, I was less than impressed with standard set up,so I fitted nightbreakers ,and it's still not good ,a wee bit better yes but not a huge leap , the lights are still rubbish ,I'm gona fit HID units as I'm sure they'll b better:confused:yes the lenses are clean and they seem fine , just not very good output

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom