Retrofit Active Parking Assist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickyP64

Car
A200 Turbo
Does anyone know if it’s possible to retrofit Active Parking Assistant to a pre-facelift W169? – The system where the car is able to park itself (an option that was available on the facelift version).

Since I already have the OEM Parktronic system (4 x parking sensors back and front along with the internal LED displays) I wondered if it’s something that can be programmed retrospectively or if it needs extra kit fitted to the car.

Thought it might save my alloy wheels a bit of grief!

Does it have electric power steering? Active park assist usually has one specific sensor at the side of the car (I'm not familiar with the 169 though).

As above there are extra "space length" side sensors as well as the normal front and rear sensors.

I have had it on two cars now and quite frankly it's slow and dim witted, not worth it unless your a complete numbskull at parking and only park in clearly defined and straight forward spaces, otherwise the sytems just say "no".........

Thanks all,

Yes I believe all W169’s are electric power steering, that’s why I thought it might be possible to retrofit with the combination of parking sensors that I already have. Though if it needs extra sensors then that would make it not worthwhile – if it’s as bad as you say boxbrownie then maybe it’s not worthwhile anyhow!

I just saw a couple of youtube vids of W169's parking themselves and thought it might be a cool option if it were possible.

I’m not that bad at parking by the way…just a little lazy maybe, and a sucker for a gadget!

Does anyone know if it’s possible to retrofit Active Parking Assistant to a pre-facelift W169? – The system where the car is able to park itself (an option that was available on the facelift version).

Since I already have the OEM Parktronic system (4 x parking sensors back and front along with the internal LED displays) I wondered if it’s something that can be programmed retrospectively or if it needs extra kit fitted to the car.

Thought it might save my alloy wheels a bit of grief!

This will almost certainly be prohibitively expensive as you will need the parktronic system from a facelifted car as a minimum. Also to activate it requires SCN coding a number of parts which wont accept coding from a 2009 model year car. Perhaps if you changed all the control units in the car including SAM, SCM, cluster,Parktronic etc and then fooled STAR into thinking the car is a model year 2009 it 'might' work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom