Retrofit AMG Drive unit to E63S 2019 steering wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevo5

Car
E63S
Hi all,

very new member here and only had the AMG for just over a month. Massively impressed! My first 'true' AMG in my eyes as I had a 2015 A45 AMG and that wasn't a happy relationship at all. Anyway, question here is I have the updated steering wheel on the E63 (2019 model) but it doesn't have the AMG Drive Unit that sits either side (they put them on for the 2020 model)-watching Raz Roken and his reviews he says that its possible to get it retrofitted and coded. Any ideas on who would do that, or who has done that please as it seems a decent enough upgrade whilst keeping it OEM.
thanks in advance.

The guys at Comand.co.uk would know

The guys at Comand.co.uk would know
Thanks will give them a shout and hopefully they can point me in the right direction

So I spoke to Comand Online who had a look and essentially while it's not impossible it's also not a case of plug-and-play new steering wheel and there may be new control units required etc. Long job, 50/50 it would actually work and a rough quote of £3-4k. Ouch.
So that's me going to be happy with what I have!

these guys seem to do a lot of retrofits, no experience of them myself but have a good portfolio, including the drive unit

RJ Automotive Store

Thats good news thanks Alps will give them a call to see what the score is-seems to be a realistic option

Happy to report that RJ Auto are able to do the fitting on my car (£1200.00 + VAT and fitting is free) but there's a delay in parts meaning a 3-5 week lead time. Just waiting for confirmation that it's all OEM parts and I'll get it booked in.
Result! Will report back when it's all done. Big thanks to all that posted replies.

Happy to report that RJ Auto are able to do the fitting on my car (£1200.00 + VAT and fitting is free) but there's a delay in parts meaning a 3-5 week lead time. Just waiting for confirmation that it's all OEM parts and I'll get it booked in.
Result! Will report back when it's all done. Big thanks to all that posted replies.
Very interesting indeed.
I'll keep a look on here for your progress, please do update when you have more news

My 2020 came with the drive unit and I can say that I love it. I use it constantly for all sorts from disabling stop start to change drive modes and opening closing valves.

£1200! What’s the benefit?

I always relate car upgrades to track days, that’s a whole lot of track time/fun in exchange for a button.

'Button(s)'
Let's break this down:
1. I like the upgrade as it will mean I have hands on the wheel most times (important in a fast car).
2. It's come in far cheaper than another retailer (see previous post) who was only 50% sure they could get it to work.
3. It will add value to the car when I sell it on and its 100% OEM. The AMG Drive Unit is well regarded.
4. I don't do track days so that's irrelevant. I drive fast road cars. If I wanted a track car it wouldn't be a heavy estate it would be a stripped out car with no creature comforts or a track derived vehicle like a Caterham or an Ariel Atom
5. It's my money and my choice
Now maybe people should Ignore all the above as clearly I shouldn't be doing what I want, driving the car I want ++++. Nope, I should clearly drive and do what other people tell me to do.
Bit of a 'Pistonheads' comment you've made there am afraid. Seriously?
You do you. I'll do me.

Easy tiger, I simply asked what the benefit was, I didn’t jump down your throat.

Enjoy your £1200 button, I’m sure it will make all the difference.

Easy tiger, I simply asked what the benefit was, I didn’t jump down your throat.

£1200 is man maths - it's £1440.

Just sayin' :)

With reference to the 'button' (it's more than one) this explains it well:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Having had drive control on Audis RS and BMW M cars it's a wonder why Mercedes took so long to do this as it makes a real difference imo.
They've gone further and lots of other functions available on there I didn't know about. I'm looking forward to the fit.

Did you ever go ahead with this?

Did you ever go ahead with this?
Sorry for delay-been away for a bit. Short answer:yes. Very knowledgable guy/fitter (used to work for MB) and the item took a while to be delivered due to supply chain issues from Merc end. Anyhow he came up to meet me a bit (normally you have to go down to NWest London but due to time delay he came up. Took around 40 mins to fit and is all OEM. Paid half up front then on completion of fitting. All above board, you get a VAT invoice and highly recommended.
Now I have them fitted it makes life much easier than fumbling around trying to change drive mode and exhaust etc. Yes it's expensive BUT it adds real value to the car, is OEM and is a highly sought after mod so you can ask more on resale. It also has more functions than first thought-for example with the right hand wheel instead of turning to go through the drive modes, just push it and it defaults to 'Individual' setting. Very handy. Some will say too expensive some (see the thread!) will say 'waste of money' but for all the performance cars I've owned if you put on sensible sought-after mods and avoid the 'Max Power' look (unless you live in Southend etc) then it will pay you back on resale.
Mod wise I think that's about it for the car, its running slightly higher than stated-especially torque wise and whilst 7-800 bhp would be insane the fact is these cars are too quick for the road, in a blink you're in license losing territory. I do enjoy the 'Big Stick' feeling though....other 'fast cars come up quick behind you then back off when they see the badging and exhausts.
Really recommend this mod.

I'm glad you like it and I can appreciate it's a worthwhile modification.

However, I miss the days when cars didn't need modes. You press the throttle pedal 50% and it opens 50%. An exhaust note that's audible at all times but never obnoxious. Suspension that soaks up the bumps but still provides support in a corner. It's all perfectly possible and most of the time the difference in modes isn't enough to make the difference so you're always hunting for something that just works. And I'm only 37...

@Stevo5
Thanks for the reply.
I'm so temped with this for my car, but unfortunately I'm not anywhere near these guys as I live in N. Ireland, so would have to find a local installation as I don't fancy tackling it myself.
Can you post some photos of the installed buttons please?

From the side

Attachments

• 0932441B-ED83-459A-8501-1C8C6A3DB19D.jpeg
    0932441B-ED83-459A-8501-1C8C6A3DB19D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom