Retrofit Autodimming Rear View mirror?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkyMark

Car
R231 SL63 / Mclaren 720s / Exige GT3 / Westfield Megablade
Is it just a case of buying the mirror? Ie the wiring /plug etc all ready there?

Thanks

MB don't fit looms for options not spec'd.

I'd guess approx £15 for the mirror to OCP loom

This option comes from the factory also with auto-dimming driver's side wing mirror.

I have it and don't like it - the dimmed mirror dangerously masks cyclists who ride with no lights on at night (of which there are quite a few in London).

If there's a car behind me, both rearview and side mirrors dim, at which point if I slow down and am about to make a right turn I can not tell if there's a cyclist passing me on my right, which makes me feel uncomfortable.

Only the off side door mirror should dim. The nearside mirror does not have the dimming function (from the factory).

I like the option and find it very relaxing not to be blinded by following vehicles.

As we clearly have different preferences, might have been a good idea for MB to add an 'Autodim On/Off' function on the steering wheel menu...

MB don't fit looms for options not spec'd.

I'd guess approx £15 for the mirror to OCP loom

Should imagine that would be a PITA to fit though?

BTW only talking about the rear view mirror, not the wing mirrors

I think you just need an ignition switched live and an earth connection, the mirror will automatically dim when the in-built sensor detects a light source of sufficient intensity.

On another note... don't know if your car has factory-fitted Convenience Telephony or Bluetooth... but if it does then that's where the telephone microphone lives (i.e. inside the rear view mirror) so you would want to ensure that the auto-dimming mirror you get has the built-in mic.

Simply swap the RVM and connect to the OCP Probably one of the easiest mods to do ;)

Bare in mind markjay's comment though art the mic.

I think you just need an ignition switched live and an earth connection, the mirror will automatically dim when the in-built sensor detects a light source of sufficient intensity.

yes I've done in this way. I moved my auto DIM mirror from my previous 202 to the 203, you have 3 wires, one is the ground, one the positive I connected to the lighter plug, and a third one I didn't use (would switch off the function when you engage the reverse).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom