Retrofit camera R ML GL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingpin!

Car
R350 (W251) & R350 (V251)
Hi forum!

I wonder if someone knows some details regarding retrofitting a reversing camera on R, ML or GL (guess it's exactly the same)?

On my R350 (2006) the chrome list in the back didn't have a pre-cut hole, therefore I bought a used chrome list which has this (think it was from a 2008 or 2009 R-Class). Now I wonder if there is (has to be) a pre-cut hole in the body of the backdoor as well? I haven't tried to do anything yet but from looking at certain pictures like the one attached one could almost think that it's necessary with a hole or is it just a dummy on the outside of the body?) Anybody who has experience of this?

Another question is cameras, I have a retrofitted NTG2.5 (with setting for reversing camera which I can enable/disable) today, if I choose a wireless option will that be good enough or is it generally crappy quality?

When I enable the camera function in NTG2.5 I get the line graphics, is that possible to disable as some cameras seems to produce a picture with the graphics already coming via the video signal?

As I understand it, plastic clips often breaks when removing the backdoor panel, does anyone know the MB part number for the clips so I can pre-order some?

Any other suggestions/ideas would is greatly appreciated - thanks!

Attachments

• Backdoor.PNG
    Backdoor.PNG
    92.4 KB · Views: 25
Thanks, I know about them (I've bought parts from them as well).

I'm more looking for an online/forum answer or a possible guide even (if available).

2006 ML needs a hole cutting in the metalwork of the boot and a new trim. 2007 ML has a trim with a blanking plate and a hole in the body.

I do not know for sure if the same is true for the R class, but it sort of makes some sense.

Lines are code-able on the NTG2.5 head unit.

Factory camera is excellent especially night, aftermarket ones don't seem to be as good. Its pretty easy to run cables up a R class (lots of space to work) and you are only having to run the video cable up (everything else would be same work with a wireless camera).

Cheers

Richard

Thanks for clarifying about the hole. I will most likely need to drill a hole when the chrome list has been removed then and it's good to have a "heads-up".

Well, I would love to buy a original camera kit but the problem is the price. There are kits which at least seems good on paper for a less than a 10th of the original kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom