Retrofit Harman Kardon - enabling Logic 7 NTG4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Megaoctane

Car
W212 E200 CDI
The car came with APS 50. Retrofitted Comand NTG4. Did not get any codes with the unit and it did not require code either after install.
I am now going to retrofit H/K sound system in car, and was wondering how to enable the logic 7 on/off option in Comand?

The correct way to get this to work properly is to have the system properly coded and firmware up-to-date (and implicitly the Mercedes datacard update properly for your car. This makes sure that the HK amp has firmware that is fully compatible with the firmware in the Head Unit, and is coded properly for your car.

You can manually configure the head unit from engineering mode (go into eng mode, turn on MOST ring, turn on external amp, reset COMAND), you can not manually configure the HK amp so it wont be configured perfectly

I've done a few HK upgrades, remember you will need a new boot carpet (left side), and do change *all* the speakers - don't just add an amp! If the dealer says you have to buy the clips that the rear subwoofer screws into in min quantity 50, let me know as we bought 50 and have about 30 left.

Richard

Thanks @richard.
I am going to get the h/k system registered via Star online.

The Comand unit is registered on the cars data card, but not with its serial number I believe. The dealer said he would need the pin code to do that...
I am just worried if after install, when the dealer plugs in, registers the h/k, and then tries to enable it on the Comand, the Comand unit will require pin codes and lock it self down..
I know NTG4.5 requires pin codes to get it to work after retrofit, but the Comand unit I have didn't require this.
Don't know if anyone knows if the NTG4 does not require pin codes when updating its firmware?

Last edited:
Thanks @richard.
I am going to get the h/k system registered via Star online.

The Comand unit is registered on the cars data card, but not with its serial number I believe. The dealer said he would need the pin code to do that...
I am just worried if after install, when the dealer plugs in, registers the h/k, and then tries to enable it on the Comand, the Comand unit will require pin codes and lock it self down..
I know NTG4.5 requires pin codes to get it to work after retrofit, but the Comand unit I have didn't require this.
Don't know if anyone knows if the NTG4 does not require pin codes when updating its firmware?

Not all units have pin-codes - introduced sometime in 2010. They only need re-entering if the car they are in change (it reads the VIN from the cluster on ignition on). So it won't lock out.
You should get option 810 (HK) added to the Datacard, and then the whole system through "initial startup' which will also flash the comand and amp to the current software etc. Do initial startup on the COMAND first (which will put the serial nr on the datacard automatically) and then on the HK amp.

You can ask comand.co.uk to do all that as they have online Star Diagnosis (it needs the online stuff to do the datacard update and SCN coding!) - It will take a couple of hours do get the firmware etc updated in everything etc.

Richard

I installed the COMAND myself, and it didnt require any pin codes, although the VIN clearly changed.
But when I got the COMAND unit registered in the datacard, and asked them to update the maps, the dealer said they needed the pin codes. Not sure if they got the serial number registered or if they registered only the option code manually to the datacard. When i lookup the vin code on the net, it shows the code 512 COMAND with DVD changer.

Last edited:
Spoke with the technician at the dealer yesterday, and he said that he did not SCN code the Comand. But If I want to, he can do it next week. He does not take any responsibility if the anti theft code kicked in.

Should I get it SCN coded? What are the chances of the unit closing down if it did not do so right after retrofitting?

Hey, megaoctane
Did you get your firmware updated in Comand?
I have a e200cdi late 2011, fitted ntg4 but need update.
How did you get data card updated?

Many thanks if you can offer some guidance or help.
Pm me if possible please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom