Retrofit outside thermometer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercedeslover

Car
W140 500 SEL
Has anybody done this & if so, is it straightforward. Pictures would be nice. Thanks!

I have done it both on W201 and W126 models - the proceedure would be the same on your W124 . The following is from memory - fairly straightforward .

First you need to source an OTG plus the sensor from behind the numberplate - you would get these from a donor car in a breakers for a reasonable sum ; Merc would want a fortune for the parts . Stripping the parts out of a donor car will prepare you for doing it on your own car .

Pull out the instrument cluster , if yours does not have a removable blanking plate where the instrument goes , you will also need the binnacle from the donor car , the OTG slips in from behind (you may need to take the instruments out of the binnacle first , varies from model to model) . There will be a short loom associated with the OTG - this has connections for power to the instrument (switched with ignition) , ground and illumination ; there is also a two pin connector for the sensor . Fit the sensor behind the numberplate and run the wire up to the instrument cluster .

The whole jon should take less than an hour .

Sorry , no pics .

Excellent i was looking to do the same retro fit on my W124, now its off to the breakers... up, up and away.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom