Retrofits for W204 (Comand/Parktronic)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon_F

Car
W204 C220 CDI Sport in Iridium Silver with all the toys
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a pre-reg/pre-owned W204 C220 Sport. I've found a reasonably priced example but it has no Parktronic or COMAND. I was wondering whether these systems are available for retrofit?

I've noticed Alfie is the resident COMAND expert so I'm hoping he will be able to at least give me part of the answer ;)

Thanks for any advice in advance

Jon

COMAND in the W204 is in a different league to previous generations, not least because of the separate screen.

I'm sure there's way if you have deep pockets. Might take a while for someone else to do it, so if you're in a hurry, you might want to just fork out a little more for a car with COMAND fitted at the factory.

they can both be fitted.. but normal parking sensors as opposed to MB parktronic work out much more cost effective, you can get a rear system fitted for under £150-200..

they can both be fitted.. but normal parking sensors as opposed to MB parktronic work out much more cost effective, you can get a rear system fitted for under £150-200..

Thanks for this - any ideas on costs? I've 'assumed' about 2k to get both...?

on comand you will have to wait for alfie as he is the man on comand... i have no idea for W204... too recent..

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a pre-reg/pre-owned W204 C220 Sport. I've found a reasonably priced example but it has no Parktronic or COMAND. I was wondering whether these systems are available for retrofit?

I've noticed Alfie is the resident COMAND expert so I'm hoping he will be able to at least give me part of the answer ;)

Thanks for any advice in advance

Jon

Anything is possible, but the original versions would both be very major retrofits.

A TomTom and an aftermarket parking sensor system would be pretty cheap and easy though!

If you want OEM Command/PTS then I would go for a factory car or use dcar with those options as probably work out same price or may be cheaper and be a better job as retrofit IMO for command would not be as easy as the previous generation Mercs i.e. W203 and would involve more work.

Anything is possible, but the original versions would both be very major retrofits.

A TomTom and an aftermarket parking sensor system would be pretty cheap and easy though!

That's exactly what I did. Parking sensors off Ebay £25, and they work! (thought they might be cr@p, but everything looks the same as the £150 items in Halfords etc) and a TomTom GO720.

Bought a 3 month old "demo". No comand or parktronic, funny though, they had added multi disc cd, artico and heated seats and Tracker.

I was disappointed mine (a pretty well loaded ex-MB Management car) didn't have Parktronic but apparently it can become troublesome at 3-4 yrs old (ie just out of warranty) as damp gets into the sensors.

If sensors need replacing they have to be painted and it all gets very messy.

Its looking like retrofitting comand on the new C involves removing half the steering wheel bits, because theres a load of extra fans and ducts to keep the thing cool.
Apparently the initial map install takes a long time also.

And, of course, currently the only way to get units is new from Mercedes - so at the moment W204 retrofits will be considerably more than the factory option price.

But I know Alfie is working on this !!!!

Richard

Retrofitting Comand is possible on a W204. We are on the brink of offering this service. However, it wont be cheap as Richard says, the units are only available through MB at the moment. It will almost certainly cost more than having it fitted from new:(

Thanks for the info guys - I guess its an option if i can get a good deal on a W204 without COMAND, otherwise its probably best to wait til one with it preinstalled becomes available.

Thanks everyone

I'd just echo what Richard and Alfie said, having done this job myself i can positively say its a real pain in the **** and took me an awful long time to get it done.

Would be ££££.

I test drove a W204 with Comand and it is awesome piece of kit. I liked it so much I got Alfie to fit Comand to my W203. Far nicer to use than a TomTom or Garmin etc - but we have had that discussion on here many times:bannana:

Its a seriously good piece of kit - however trying to get a pre-reg C220 sport with it installed is proving (unsurprisingly) difficult :)

I have already got the steelmate PTS800MN fitted.. and it's bloody good. You can get some from Halfords
Finding a C220 sport with comand is pretty hard to find.. i got lucky but worth every penny. The previous owner payed £700 to have the parking sensors fitted even though you can buy for £200.

SEM - how much were they and where have you had the monitors fitted?

Updates at the weekend guys - picking up my first MB on Friday :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom