Retrofitted an APS 30

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickmann

Car
Porsche 911
I acquired an APS 30 today and was very pleased to see that it was a straight swap for the Audio 10 that came with my W210. The install took, oohh...1 minute, including entering the security code. Hasn't she got a nice voice? Much less stern than the Blaupunkt lady.

The CD changer was recognised straight away, and the steering wheel buttons do all the right things. The next thing is to fit the GPS antenna, a job for tomorrow morning I think

Then finally, ask the dealer to enable the navigation instructions in the instrument cluster.

Nice one Nick

I have done the same - nice unit! Shame they didn't do a single din BE4718 though :(

I was sure some-one would have done this before. It must be at the easier end of the scale, mod-wise!

I'm just waiting for a callback from the dealer now - Is the dealer likely to know what to do, or will I be back here asking for help do you think?

nickmann said:
Then finally, ask the dealer to enable the navigation instructions in the instrument cluster.

Oh dear me, now you start to pay :D Dealers and £95+vat per hour or part thereof. Sorry me being cynical. :eek:

Congratulations on the mod! So you don't need a speed pulse with an APS 30 then?

The dealer should know what to do - Greenoaks in Reading enabled my cluster for free but any dealer shouldn't charge more than 30 mins labour tops.

Where are you going to site your GPS antenna?

Rose Chap said:
So you don't need a speed pulse with an APS 30 then?
And a connection to the reverse cable? I have a Becker TraffcPro in one of my cars, which works like the APS 30, and you need to connect both the speed pulse and the reverse cable. Without the speed pulse, it thinks you are stopped; with the speed pulse connected but the reverse cable not connected, it thinks your are moving in reverse.

Dealer called me back, said its no problem he knows what to do and I will call in on Tues on the way home. I'll report back on the cost, but I'm expecting it to be beer money at worst.

As far as the speedpulse goes, I expect its already in the ISO plug. The unit is after all an option for the car. When I fitted a TravelPilot to my C-Class, I looked into this, and found the speedpulse was in the ISO plug already, so on this one I haven't bothered to check I've just assumed it's there.

The reverse signal is not required, I never connected it to my TravelPilot and it never made a blind bit of difference, so I'm not going to worry about it this time either.

The GPS antenna is going to go either behind the glovebox, at the base of the windscreen, or as a last resort at the rear of the roof panel. I say 'is going to' because I have just discovered that the Blaupunkt one does not function with the APS 30, even though it plugs in just fine. Darn!! Of to Ebay for a new one then...

Hi Nick,

I found after the initial update of software for my APS30 I had to disconnect it and leave it off before restarting for the unit to find any satellites. Check this before buying a new antenna unless you know that was specifically the problem.

The speed pulse is part of the ISO connector as you say. Reverse isn't needed unless you drive long distances backwards ;)

OK, new antenna arrived today and installed. It is a totally different plug to the Blaupunkt one, so no wonder the BP was no good.

Just got home from the dealer, and now have the Nav display in the instrument cluster. It took less time to set that up than it took me to drink a frothy coffee, and no mention of a charge, so I am very happy.

Ah, this has been asked before. Because I gew up in Guernsey I have an under-developed navigation gland, and am genetically incapable of reading a map. I make monthly trips to the UK, and usually go on holiday in France with the car. Plus I like gadgets, and am strangely drawn toward softyl-spoken women who tell me what do do.

Aaarghhhh!!! On her first outing Ulrika (the APS-30) (well, you know...) has failed me.

Rolled off the ferry on Friday night, set destination for the Guest House, Ulrika woke up, got us to the first roundabout , then hung. This was repeated all weekend. Every so often she woke up, but mostly refused to believe we were moving at all. After a hard reset she would have our postion OK, the GPS screen showed 7 or 8 satelites, when we set off the co-ordinates were changing, but she showed our position by roadname as unchanging. Every 30 mins or so she'd wake up again and give us directions that were relevant 30 mins ago, like "turn off the M3" just as we left Ringwood.

We had to use a map for Pete's sake. Not something we've done in several years.

I had assumed that since my 97 C-class has speedpulse at the ISO connector then it followed that an 01 E-class would too. WRONG!!!! I just checked it and no wire at A1 on the ISO plug.

So now I have to excavate the proper wire from either the passenger footwell or the engine ECU (as far as I can tell from an hour's internet research) and try again. I won't know it's right until my next trip on 14th May. unless I can borrow my old Travelpilot which had a speedpulse test on the menu.

Hi NIck,

Save yourself time and hassle, finding the speed pulse.

Take your car to a car hifi shop and ask them to fit the speed pulse wire.

This is what I did when fitting a APS30 into my SL, best £40 ive spent in ages.

Wobbly

I would do just that, but you know over here the simple situation is that the shop will have no idea idea where it is either and will just do some internet research. They don't see the number of cars here that a respected fitter in the UK would.

But if I can't sort it after an hour or so I will certainly give that a go.

nickmann said:
I would do just that, but you know over here the simple situation is that the shop will have no idea idea where it is either and will just do some internet research. They don't see the number of cars here that a respected fitter in the UK would.

But if I can't sort it after an hour or so I will certainly give that a go.

From what you describe it is definately the speed pulse thats missing. I've seen a few COMANDS do this when the connection hasnt been made properly.

It shouldnt be difficult to locate it.

Cheers Alfie - a little reassurance goes a long way!

It took about 15 seconds to find the speedpulse - I popped the passenger side sill cover and there are two green/white wires joined together with a plastic cap. They should be the beauties I'm after. I'll tap into that and see what happens.

Speedpulse now all set. In fact it wasn't the two joined and capped wires, it was the solo wire taped to them.

I tested the output using a borrowed TravelPilot, which shows the speedpulse input values on the calibration screen, and also using the APS-30 hidden menu. The GAL value on the TP is changing, and the RAD value on the APS-30 is changing, so that should be it.

Won't know till 12th May...fingers crossed...

:bannana: :bannana: I always love stories with happy endings. Well done nickmann and others.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom