Retrofitting Command System for E Class Coupe 212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keefo

Car
E Class Coupe 220CDI Sport tip auto 2012
Hi all,

I am a new member to MBClub and it is great to be part of this forum.

I have just purchased a 2012 E Class Coupe 220CDI Sport tip auto, the year of my model is 2012. Unfortunately is only came with the Audio 20 and I want to install a Command System. Can anyone please help me with a list of things I have to consider when upgrading. Everything from the unit NG4 or NG4.5, what cables or wiring do I need, the screen upgrade, usb connection etc. Has anyone gone through the process of successfully upgrading from Audio 20 to a Command entertainment system? What problems did you encounter.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide

Hi all,

I am a new member to MBClub and it is great to be part of this forum.

I have just purchased a 2012 E Class Coupe 220CDI Sport tip auto, the year of my model is 2012. Unfortunately is only came with the Audio 20 and I want to install a Command System. Can anyone please help me with a list of things I have to consider when upgrading. Everything from the unit NG4 or NG4.5, what cables or wiring do I need, the screen upgrade, usb connection etc. Has anyone gone through the process of successfully upgrading from Audio 20 to a Command entertainment system? What problems did you encounter.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide

Yes ive done a few of these you could say.........

You will need a the comand NTG 4.5 unit, new screen, screen surround, fans, ducting looms and display cable. Plus of course a GPS antenna.

Once its all installed you will then need to get it coded to the car. then you get a map pin and load the maps.

We do a fully supplied, fitted and coded upgrade to comand for this car for you for £1500 inc VAT. I have them in stock.

Worth thinking about a reverse camera and DAB at the same time.

Or fit an Android screen which also allows control of the original Audio 20 system as well. So get the benefits of modern sat nav without the the pricey updates and keep the OEM radio / CD etc. In the region of £400-600 to do this instead of the £1500 for Comand which isn't really that good anyway.

Or fit an Android screen which also allows control of the original Audio 20 system as well.

And have something in your car that looks like it came from the early learning centre........

Thats no way to describe Comand ;)

One of the units is a direct replacement into the recess the current screen sits in. Or you can go to a larger screen if you prefer. It is a bit like the other Merc's tablet stuck on a dash but at least gives modern functionality.

If the price of Comand was comparible then maybe but at 2-3 times as much for less functionality its just not worth doing.

Yes ive done a few of these you could say.........

You will need a the comand NTG 4.5 unit, new screen, screen surround, fans, ducting looms and display cable. Plus of course a GPS antenna.

Once its all installed you will then need to get it coded to the car. then you get a map pin and load the maps.

We do a fully supplied, fitted and coded upgrade to comand for this car for you for £1500 inc VAT. I have them in stock.

Worth thinking about a reverse camera and DAB at the same time.

That seems very good value considering the price of specifying a factory-fit Command on a new Merc

Added one to my 2013 Convertible and its made it a much better experience. It was that or sell it as a Comand upgrade was a stupid price and even the later version isn't really that good. I went for the 10.24" widescreen version, not a huge fan of the tablet look, but so much better than it was. Chuck a sim card in it or tether it and you can have live sat nav like Waze up and running, plus all the apps you'd like installed or use Apple Carplay or Google Auto if you prefer.

They have their own launcher which directly integrates the Mercedes system, so its not like the generic ones which just look like a big phone with loads of icons, so far from Fisher Price.

Or fit an Android screen which also allows control of the original Audio 20 system as well. So get the benefits of modern sat nav without the the pricey updates and keep the OEM radio / CD etc. In the region of £400-600 to do this instead of the £1500 for Comand which isn't really that good anyway.
Hi Stu, I hadnt actually thought about this, what are the best ones to look at, what does the Android screen do in addition to the Sat Nav, will it need a GPS antennae also?

All sounds great Stu, 10.24" screen, so what is the make and model of the set, does it integrate with the voice activation and external music? is it an easy install? I have been searching for the a unit that works with my Audio 20, but they all see to say you must have a Navi button, which kinda defeats the object. Can it be purchased and installed in the UK?

Hi Stu, I hadnt actually thought about this, what are the best ones to look at, what does the Android screen do in addition to the Sat Nav, will it need a GPS antennae also?

It comes with its own GPS receiver, as well as a Micro SD card for local storage and a sim card reader so you can internet enable it in the UK. The android screen is full android (all be it a slightly older version) and comes with built in music and video players (or you can use whatever you want).

All sounds great Stu, 10.24" screen, so what is the make and model of the set, does it integrate with the voice activation and external music? is it an easy install? I have been searching for the a unit that works with my Audio 20, but they all see to say you must have a Navi button, which kinda defeats the object. Can it be purchased and installed in the UK?

There are various suppliers of them, carlife si one used by a few, mine came from a guy in Sweden who was doing work with the factory to improve the original version, but there are now suppliers in the UK. Loads of support on MBWorld forums for fitting and getting the best out of them.

All of the Audio 20 works with these units as it has been designed to show the OEM interface as well as Android and you just use the wheel to control that as you did before. So the radio, CD player etc all stay the same as before. For bluetooth you can use either the OEM system or the Android HU for both streaming and phone, entirely up to you and what you prefer.

Some images of mine fitted at Aftermarket Radio - MBWorld.org Forums

Great photos, nice motor, looks like you already had a NAVI button on your Command, mine unfortunately doesnt have a Navi button or any of the wiring necessary, can it still be connected to my Audio and provide me with a navigational functions. Sorry for all these questions

Great photos, nice motor, looks like you already had a NAVI button on your Command, mine unfortunately doesnt have a Navi button or any of the wiring necessary, can it still be connected to my Audio and provide me with a navigational functions. Sorry for all these questions

Yes, the nav is totally in the android unit. You can use whatever android nav app you like. I use Waze, but you could use one which has no need for an internet connection if you wish. It actually comes with an offline one installed. I can also flip to the OEM nav if I want to use it as all OEM features still work as well.

My Audio 20 is so basic it doesnt even have AM radio so no TalkSport for me, so annoying. hence the need to do something cost effective

Audio 20 has AM, you press radio again to switch between the bands. IIRC it has AM, FM1, FM2, FM3 and maybe LW as well (but can't remember). No DAB though and that can't easily be added to the Audio 20 units.

Great Stu, thanks for the heads up on the AM, im in London and you mentioned that there are load of people on this forum that could help with the locating the correct unit and the install. As your unit seems to be working fine I would be interested in looking at that one too.

Its on the MBWorld forum (one where I linked for the images) where there are loads of people who have bought them all around the world and we all help people install them. If you are mechanically minded you can do it yourself, you just need to pull out the OEM system in order to be able to plug the loom into the OEM one. Otherwise there may be a local fitter willing to do it for you.

I would help, but up in Norfolk. Certainly happy to support though.

Someone reference Innomade Car Products Store - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com as a UK based seller of the units.

Its on the MBWorld forum (one where I linked for the images) where there are loads of people who have bought them all around the world and we all help people install them. If you are mechanically minded you can do it yourself, you just need to pull out the OEM system in order to be able to plug the loom into the OEM one. Otherwise there may be a local fitter willing to do it for you.

I would help, but up in Norfolk. Certainly happy to support though.

Someone reference Innomade Car Products Store - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com as a UK based seller of the units.

Thanks again for this, I'm going to check them out over the weekend, read many reviews and locate someone locally that can fit, it certainly is an option that can save a bit on an OEM unit. I'm not against OEM but the cost to supply and fit will never be recovered when I go to sell on. Enjoy the holidays

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom