Retrofitting Portable Media Center

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sencem

Car
2005 C220 CDI Sports Coupe Evo Panorama
Hi all,

I just wanted to share. Here is my new project....

I was using my Creative Zen PMC with the aux input only. I was switching it on, selecting a playlist and putting it in to the glow box for the rest of the journey. It's a little bit bulky device:

3094531565_f85d797afa.jpg

I know that this device has a video output and my Comand APS has a video input. Why not give it a try?

First, I bought this remote which will let me control the device without taking it out of the glove box every time; i'm planning to stick it to somewhere i can access easily when driving:

21V5WPUaUtL._SL500_AA274_.jpg

I'm expecting it to look like this when everything's in place:

3095373416_6bbfa5b8e1.jpg

Please wish me luck; any comments are more than welcome. :cool:

Last edited:
I have done this with my Archos. I ran an extension of the AV cable from the TV Inputs in the rear which now appear in the glove box. This means that I can watch MP4 Movies on the Comand. does the Zen do movies too?
Mine works a treat:bannana:

Last edited:
I've done a similar thing with my Alpine DVE 5207 (MP3 and DVD Player), feeding it into one of the two auxiliary sound and video inputs of the TV tuner, which is in the boot. Fortunately the Alpine unit includes a remote controller extension, which runs through from the boot, via the headlining, to a point just above the rearview mirror.

I can of course play movies on DVD and, by burning my MP3s onto a dual layer DVD, can get 8GB of MP3s (about 120 albums) on board.

It looks like this:

Alpine.jpg

Last edited:
i did a similar thing in my CLK with COMAND 2.0

i didnt have a TV tuner so purchased one of those Video RGB input devices to interface with COMAND. I then fed a 12v DVD player though it and used it to play MP3 cds/dvds on it. Worked a treat.

Pic here:

clk4.jpg

clk14.jpg

I have done this with my Archos. I ran an extension of the AV cable from the TV Inputs in the rear which now appear in the glove box. This means that I can watch MP4 Movies on the Comand. does the Zen do movies too?
Mine works a treat:bannana:

yes, the Zen can play a couple of video media types, but my main intention is to display the mp3 functionalities on the screen, do not care much about playing videos.

Cheers

It will have the same effect at the end of the day, it shows whatever is on the Archos Screen at the time.
The Aux input in the Glove box does not support Pictures though, so it may be you have to do it through the TV AV inputs.

It will have the same effect at the end of the day, it shows whatever is on the Archos Screen at the time.
The Aux input in the Glove box does not support Pictures though, so it may be you have to do it through the TV AV inputs.

yes thats what i did. Worked well and i had playlist etc, name of track, graphic display etc shown. It needs to be TV on the move enabled though for it to work well, but then of course you open a can of worms re watching tv when driving. I never did and only used it for mp3 tracks so no difference to a fancy stereo IMO

yes thats what i did. Worked well and i had playlist etc, name of track, graphic display etc shown. It needs to be TV on the move enabled though for it to work well, but then of course you open a can of worms re watching tv when driving. I never did and only used it for mp3 tracks so no difference to a fancy stereo IMO

Ahhh that is one can I will leave firmly shut:eek:

It needs to be TV on the move enabled though for it to work well, but then of course you open a can of worms re watching tv when driving. I never did and only used it for mp3 tracks so no difference to a fancy stereo IMO

you're right. i missed that point. i have comand aps with a new firmware, so believe i won't be able to enable video in motion :( .

darn...

you're right. i missed that point. i have comand aps with a new firmware, so believe i won't be able to enable video in motion :( .

darn...

i think you can still do it - search ebay and german ebay for it. i believe you need a hardware "box of tricks" to do it though - or a friendly guy with a Star machine

I have read this thread with interest. I would like to wire in an aux connector for my MP3 player and wondering if some once could point me in the right direction upon what I need.
The car is a W210 E320CDI 2000MY with Comand

I have read this thread with interest. I would like to wire in an aux connector for my MP3 player and wondering if some once could point me in the right direction upon what I need.
The car is a W210 E320CDI 2000MY with Comand

There is a how to linked on this thead along with more useful info from when i did this on my W208 CLK (which will be identical to your W210)

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13070&highlight=interference

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom