Retrofitting the SLS Magcode trickle charger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
Whilst it seems most (if not all) AMG GT models sold in the US come with a connection point in the boot, UK cars don’t. Very frustrating but it’s perhaps more common to lay up a car over winter in some US states than it is in the UK.

Having done a little research it seems that the SLS (which is very similar under the skin) came with a magnetic connector in the left hand panel in the boot (trunk). I believe the same connector is used by Ferrari and some other marques.

I’m now considering whether to retrofit the SLS style connector in all of my cars. You can get the matching connector for CTEK battery conditioners, so it could be a neat solution. I’d probably install in the boot but I believe they can be mounted on the exterior.

I believe the connector type is a “Magcode” and you can buy the male and female sides of the connector. Here’s a forum thread which shows a few photos in situ, but the owner has hardwired it in an unusual way with the CTEK unit concealed behind the boot trim.

So, questions to those who have a better understanding of auto-electrics and have access to Mercedes systems and diagrams:

How does the Magcode socket plumb-in To the electrical circuits on the SLS AMG?

Could the same parts and plumbing be used on the AMG GT and other models?

All thoughts welcome!

Blimey, we may have found a limit to the collective knowledge of MBClub!

Is this something you may have come across @richard @Alfie ?

The SLS has different boot panels depending whether you have the factory charging system. I'm going to order some parts (for my SL, as I drove off with the CTEK connected the other day and had to remake the connectors). Will get back to you when I have them :)

Richard

Nope, sadly one of the looms (the car part) is not available any more :-(

Nope, sadly one of the looms (the car part) is not available any more :-(
Oh, blast, that’s a shame. Thanks for looking into it though 👍🏻

Looks like we’ll have to make it up from aftermarket original parts 😁

Parts can be found here, but I assume it would need to be wired to the battery, if the loom adapter isn’t available.

Is this useful? Looks like Mercedes part numbers but in Rossenberger packaging:

full

Yup. thats the part number. The 9405 is unavailable ! And they are mad money (£80ish) each

Plan B is to use these bits and pieces to fabricate something which achieves the same end result:

1. Magcode three piece kit: MagCode 3 Piece Kit

2. CTEK 2.5m Extension cable: CONNECT 2.5M EXTENSION CABLE

3. CTEK Connect Eyelet (albeit the one included with a CTEK unit: CONNECT EYELET M8

My thinking is to cut the connector off one end of the Connect Extension Cable and connect it to the Magcode port and install it.

Then route the Extension Cable to the battery. Connect the Extension Cable to the Eyelet lead, and connect that to the battery.

@richard does that seem feasible? Which battery would you connect it to, the main battery or auxiliary battery?

If it’s feasible then all that’s left is to choose the location of the Magcode port, either the boot side panel like the SLS or somewhere else.

Mounting it outside would mean that in the event that I drive away there’s nothing to impede disconnection.

Ideally I would want to fit it in a small low cost piece of trim which is easily removed or replaced, and ideally discrete.

Main battery with a fuse right by the battery. Interestingly the Rosenburg part has two big fat cables, and two thin cables so something knows when the charger is plugged in.

I'll look at the AMG-GTS also rather than just the SLS

R

GTS just seems to have a normal (but permanently powered) socket :-(
Does the permanent powered socket connect to the loom? If so then I could use that loom connector to run to the same location in my GT C Roadster, but remove the socket and replace with the Magcode port.

Theres not a lot of info :-(
In the US the AMG GT comes with the 12v socket in the boot, it’s a shame it’s not the same in the UK.

Just curious but why not use the standard ctek connector?

Just curious but why not use the standard ctek connector?
The Magcode connector snaps on and breaks away magnetically, meaning that it’s super quick to connect and disconnect, and breaks away very easily if you drive without disconnecting. It’s weatherproof and so it can be permanently mounted on the exterior making the break away even more effective.

Thanks for your reply. As I know how easy it can be to drive off while still connected to my ctek, I thread a mf cloth through my door handle as a reminder.

The SLS has different boot panels depending whether you have the factory charging system. I'm going to order some parts (for my SL, as I drove off with the CTEK connected the other day and had to remake the connectors). Will get back to you when I have them :)

Richard
Richard, did you have any success with this?

I’ve found an affordable source for the port but I’m reluctant to do the electrics myself. What size fuse would you suggest?

Hi
Merc parts are no longer available. Id buy the 15a sockets and fuse at 10a because charger won’t use more than 10a. In fact my charger has a 7.5a fuse
Thanks for the MagSafe link, I shall buy some for my SL as I forgot to disconnect it once and had to rebuild the connectors !!
R
Ps. We can do the wiring for you ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom