Returning goods to an online company: P&P refund?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JumboBeef

Car
W124 E220 Estate Auto
Hello all,

I bought something from an online UK company (I telephoned them to order, and paid for the goods via Visa Debit). The goods were £34 and the P&P £6.

The goods have now developed a fault and want to return it for a refund. Now, before I call them, can I request they refund my £6 P&P too, plus another £6 P&P which I will have to pay to return the goods, or will I only get £34 back and lose the £12?

Thanks.

You pay the p&p. Your choice to buy mail-order

Nick Froome

You pay the p&p. Your choice to buy mail-order

No. If goods are not to specification or faulty then the seller pays.

However the question as regards the OP is when the fault has occurred. If under 6 months old then seller should pay as it assumed that goods were faulty when delivered.

If the seller agrees to a refund because the goods are faulty then the Distance Selling Regs say the contract is rescinded and therefore the OP has the right not to be out of pocket - including postage.....Regulation 14! :)

If the seller agrees to a refund because the goods are faulty then the Distance Selling Regs say the contract is rescinded and therefore the OP has the right not to be out of pocket - including postage.....Regulation 14! :)
But of course a lot of sellers don't like accepting goods as faulty until you have returned them an they have seen/demonstrated the fault. So you have to stick to your guns and if that doesn't help, be prepared to chase them for a separate refund of P&P.

On another point aren't you normally required to allow them opportunity to repair the goods (if they want to) before claiming a refund?

P&P doesnt have to be refunded by the seller.

Would you expect the high street shops to pay for your petrol?!

But of course a lot of sellers don't like accepting goods as faulty until you have returned them an they have seen/demonstrated the fault. So you have to stick to your guns and if that doesn't help, be prepared to chase them for a separate refund of P&P.

On another point aren't you normally required to allow them opportunity to repair the goods (if they want to) before claiming a refund?

This is covered up to six months.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf

3.68 If goods develop a fault within the first six months of being sold,
the law presumes that the fault was there when you sold the goods –
unless you can show otherwise. You should not charge return costs
for goods that have been rejected because they are faulty.

P&P doesnt have to be refunded by the seller.

Would you expect the high street shops to pay for your petrol?!

No, because they are not covered by the distance selling regulations. This case IS.

Would you rather the law said any chav could set up in business making money out of sending already-faulty goods out to unsuspecting (distant) punters who have zero opportunity to inspect the goods before committing to the ( profitable ) postage/delivery costs incurred in receiving them?

Many online sellers don't read up on the regs before starting up in their garage......

Another reason to pay by Credit Card as the consumer credit act compels the card issuer to help recover costs in this case (by Debit Card, the bank will not give a monkeys).

Faulty goods, retailer pays.

Changed mind, customer pays (I work in e-commerce, you'd be amazed how many people get upset when they don't get a P&P refund because they want to return under DSR for Changed Mind - like we're some sort of "try it out completely free" charity).

OK, thanks. So they should pay for both of my P&Ps then? 2x £6, plus the £34 for the item........?

Yes you are right.. faulty goods you can expect the retailer to pay for P&P to return the goods and to send replacement. If you dont want a replacement I dont think you can claim back the original P&P.

If you are simply returning the item because you dont like it the retailer doesnt have to pay any of the P&P involved.

OK, I would like my money back instead of a replacement, so should I be asking for £34 + the £6 to return it to them, but not the orignal £6 they charged to send it to me......?

Another reason to pay by Credit Card as the consumer credit act compels the card issuer to help recover costs in this case (by Debit Card, the bank will not give a monkeys).

I think you may find if the debit card is issued as part of the Visa network then all protection is the same as though it was a credit card

See Here

You have to read the terms and conditions first, all the above comments are subject to the contract, with the overiding statutory rights applied correctly, in essence what did you BOTH agree to at the time of purchase and did/does it comply with the pertinent law/regulation.

You have to read the terms and conditions first, all the above comments are subject to the contract, with the overiding statutory rights applied correctly, in essence what did you BOTH agree to at the time of purchase and did/does it comply with the pertinent law/regulation.

Er, dunno :dk:

They had something I wanted. I called them and they said it was £34 + £6 P&P. I paid via Visa debit.........

Last edited:
I think you may find if the debit card is issued as part of the Visa network then all protection is the same as though it was a credit card

See Here

Consumer Credit Act

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 paragraph 75 does allow for customers paying by credit card to be refunded on purchases over £100 and under £30,000.

Some banks will cover amounts less than a hundred pounds.

So, unless my bank will cover an amount under £100, I cannot go down that route.

Before you go down any route - have you contacted the seller? I have found when I have had to return an item I have had P&P refunded without having to ask.

I haven't contacted them yet, I wanted my facts straight.

In fact, I have just looked at the invoice. They say they will refund on faulty goods, but not on P&P:

'The cost of P&P cannot be refunded for either the sending or the return of the goods'.

I have just called my bank to see if I am covered under my Visa debit card.

I bought a DVD from amazon a few years ago but it was shockingly poor quality, apparently the entire batch was ruined so I returned it. They refunded me more than the original invoice but after checking I worked out that they had covered my return postage and also the padded envelope to the penny!

Distance selling rules state that if you cancel within the period then

Quote...What specifically do I have to refund to the consumer if
they cancel?
3.48 The DSRs require you to refund any money paid by or on behalf of
the consumer in relation to the contract to the person who made the
payment. This means the full price of the goods, or deposit or prepayment
made, including the cost of delivery. The essence of
distance selling is that consumers buy from home and receive goods
at home. In these circumstances, almost every case of home
shopping will involve delivery of the goods ordered and so delivery
forms an essential part of the contract.

For faulty goods I am not so sure - how long have you had the item ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom