Reverse Camera For Comand NTG2.5 ....

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by npuk, Jul 22, 2011.

1. npuk

npuk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A180 CDI Avantgarde SE (2008)
    I know a few people were interested and have posted about adding reverse cameras to the Comand NTG2.5 and other hard disk based Comand units.

Whilst there are many aftermarket cameras available I was after one that would be a direct replacement for the numberplate light lense. These were widely available for other makes of cars but not for Mercedes. That has now changed and they have them available for many Mercedes models.

I bought mine from: Star-online2010 items - Get great deals on CMOS Special Car Camera, CCD H-Quality Car Camera items on eBay Stores! but if you search ebay there are a few sellers selling them.

Exact camera: CCD Car Raer View Caméra De Recul Mercedes-Benz B200 | eBay

I went for the more expensive CCD rather than CMOS as it will give a better picture quality. Make sure you buy a NTSC camera. Although it says for B Class the A and B have the same size numberplate light lense. It took 8 days in total to arrive from HK.

Picture to show how it fits below. Couldnt push it in fully as the cables in the way but just to give an idea. Will post more pictures once it is all installed and working. Need to have the Comand unit coded so the camera is automatically shown when reverse gear is selected.

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. crockers

crockers MB Enthusiast

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
    Do you just get a picture of what's behind or do you get graduated lines as guides?

3. OP
    OP
    npuk

npuk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Some cameras already have the guidelines but if you get one that doesnt Comand has this feature, needs STAR to activate it, so you will see the picture of whats behind you with the guidelines overlayed on top.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    npuk

npuk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Thanks to Mark and Richard from Comand / Unique Car Audio for installing the camera today (well Richard mainly he did all the work ;) ) and coding the Comand. First time i have been to their new place, its nice has its own workshop and easy to get too.

Some quick pictures of the install below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  5. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Very nice kit, but I am surprised they haven't come up with something smaller that fits altogether inside the license plate light housing i.e. behind the lens?

6. OP
    OP
    npuk

npuk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Guess it would be possible to remove all the internals from the camera housing to fit behind the lense but the standard lense isnt clear for a start, plus I dont think the view would be as good. It would need more modification to fit as the numberplate light recess is shallow and the rear is sealed.

This is a good solution IMO and still allows you to have a functioning numbeplate light. I did change the bulbs for both numberplate lights to LED ones which will help with night time illumination and the LED bulbs wont get hot like a standard bulb so no issues if the camera wire accidentally touches the bulb but didnt need to really worry about that in the end.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  7. richard

richard Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    MY04 SL55, MY18 GLC63s
    I liked the LED bulbs NPUK was using, and actually the camera cable is very close to the bulb so I'd suggest that anyone else using such a camera does put the LED bulbs in.

R

1 person likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    npuk

npuk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    KillerHERTZ sells these LED bulbs. He is currently out of stock so I got mine from ebay, just make sure you get the no canbus error ones. I got mine from a seller called 'Direct Motor Parts'.

9. ckember

ckember Active Member

Car:
    GLC 350d AMG Premium plus
    did the camera plug straight into the comand or do you need any adpaters?

10. OP
    OP
    npuk

npuk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    You need a fakra to rca adapter, can be purchased on ebay.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  11. dokalj

dokalj MB Enthusiast

The camera that arrived.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  12. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

Nice,

I think the VW one looks neater fiited into the badge and when you select reverse the badge flips up to let the camera work.

Looks a little odd not being in the center and sticking out a bit?

Nice job though

13. dokalj

dokalj MB Enthusiast

I agree it does stick out. Ideally if the handle could be cut from underneath and the camera placed inside it would be great. I think it is almost in the centre, I am worried that not enough light will be able to get through and light up the numberplate.

Thanks

14. removed

removed Guest

Car:
    ~
    I had mine fitted right in the middle of the bumper, between the sensors - given the extremely wide angle I thought it would be best to keep it centred.

15. dokalj

dokalj MB Enthusiast

Do you have a picture of your install that you could upload please?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  16. removed

removed Guest

Car:
    ~
    I should've made it clear that I have a generic camera (although really great quality and hi-res) and a simple double-DIN head unit - this A160 is a budget temp car, so I'm trying to keep what I spend on it under control :rolleyes:

Here's a [1/6 cropped] pic I took with my phone two weeks ago, so apologies for the quality.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    2 people like this.
  17. dokalj

dokalj MB Enthusiast

The camera looks very good. Which camera did you use and how easy did you find the connecting? Nice car as well!!! I like the colour :)

1 person likes this.
  18. removed

removed Guest

Car:
    ~
    Thanks :rolleyes: I like this colour (Meteor Grey - 195) too - both my cars are the same colour :cool: Really like the de-badged look on this one - according to the data card it was ordered without the A160 badge :bannana:

On my Nassau A190 I used a camera mounted on a number plate holder, as I was somewhat apprehensive about drilling holes in the bumper - the A190 when I bought it had a very low mileage (26k) and I was thinking of the resale value. The A160 I have here, although a newer and facelift W168, has almost four times the mileage (97k) and, well, not in pristine condition ... so I had no hesitation letting Curt from ProParkUK to drill five holes in the bumper to put in the parking sensors and the camera. He did an excellent job and also connected the head unit for me, although I had to make a fascia and a frame to cover the gap between it and a cage myself - nothing is available ready made for the facelift for some reason. I bought the camera on eBay - 120 degrees wide angle and CMOS sensor, LED assisted night vision <2Lux, and together with 4 colour coded sensors it was just under £40 delivered!

I actually like the look of in-bumper camera better (here's a pic of A190 with plate-mounted cam), so when I'm back in Nassau, I'll go for the same look on this one too, including sensors (even though parking spaces are twice as wide over there) :thumb:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  19. logitech1474

logitech1474 Member

Car:
    w211 200k 2003
    hei. any one can tell me if there is a reversing camera compatible with w211.?? help please

20. Igurisu

Igurisu Active Member

Car:
    911 Turbo
    Holy thread revival batman !

I'm trying to find if my NGT 2.0 in the W209 has the necessary input to allow me to fit a reversing camera. Does anybody know where I can find the information and also what camera or type of camera would be suitable?