Reverse Camera For Comand NTG2.5 ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some cameras already have the guidelines but if you get one that doesnt Comand has this feature, needs STAR to activate it, so you will see the picture of whats behind you with the guidelines overlayed on top.

Sorry for bringing this up so late but I've just collected my new 2012 C63 with reversing camera which I think is useless because there are no guidelines. Are you saying that there is a way to switch on these guides?

Dear npuk, is there any change to activate the camera input WITHOUT using the STAR from Mercedes?

On point 5 the audio installer told me that MB dealers dont want to do it. But he told me there may be a key combination you could execute from the radio. Is it possible?

You dont have to have it done by a dealer, any independant with STAR can do it.

You can buy a device that apparently will enable the reverse input but I havent tried it. But you will still need coding via STAR to enable phone controls, navigation on the cluster etc.

MERCEDES COMAND NTG2.5 REAR CAMERA ACTIVATOR | eBay

Sorry for bringing this up so late but I've just collected my new 2012 C63 with reversing camera which I think is useless because there are no guidelines. Are you saying that there is a way to switch on these guides?

You have a different Comand unit. Speak to Comand.co.uk, they should be able to advise if your unit has the option.

Now it's three days car is stopped at a Mercedes service, and they are not able to activate the camera on my Comand...
Probably actually the issue is on the fact that my car was having first an Audio 20, and then the Comand was never really "coupled" with my car, and this is preventing the camera to be properly activated..
My god, Mercedes is so complicated...

Nice,

I think the VW one looks neater fiited into the badge and when you select reverse the badge flips up to let the camera work.

And that keeps the lens clean also, an excellent design by VW

You dont have to have it done by a dealer, any independant with STAR can do it.

Apparently, the independents dealer with STAR don't have enough rights to make the activation via software, or they are not skilled enough...
Do you know what exact steps they should follow? Who could help?

Well only other option is the device I linked to in post 43 if they don't know how to do it using STAR.

Last edited:
Where did you bring yours to enable the camera?
Maybe giving a phone call (from a friend of mine who lives in UK), they could give some hints..

Comand.co.uk

Apparently, the independents dealer with STAR don't have enough rights to make the activation via software, or they are not skilled enough...
Do you know what exact steps they should follow? Who could help?

I found this sequence for another Mercedes, written by Richard of Comand.co.uk.
Does anybody knows if it applies also to W169? Unfortunately I can't post to mbguru..

The dealer there has to:
a) Have option 218 added to your data-card (he uses a system called XSF to tell the local technical department to add it)
b) Using Star Diagnosis, SCN code the COMAND unit once the datacard update has been done

activate the rear camera on Ml W164 2010

I wouldnt think so. The option code for reverse camera on a ML must be 218. There wasnt an option for reverse camera on a W169 so no option code.

Also after I had my datacard updated and SCN coding (to enable nav on the cluster) the reverse camera input was still disabled. It had it enabled via STAR at a later date.

Last edited:
As NPUK says, the SCN coding system is "clever" in that you can't activate an option on a car that couldn't have the option. As W169 never had camera, it can't therefore be done with SCN code (in fact, the only NTG2.5 with reversing cameras are ML/GL/R class).

Thus you need to see someone with Star Diagnosis developer mode that is actually able to use it to do this coding. Even systems with developer mode may not have the NTG2.5 developer menus, so this is hard to find. It may just be that Autologics diagnostics can do this though.

Thank you for ack'ing me as the poster of the info about SCN coding the ML, it is always nice :)

I think that you are not in UK, but if you are come to see us at comand.co.uk and we can sort it.

Remember, it needs a NTSC camera.

Richard

Could you set the NTG2.5 out the car?

I had a used one some time ago that had the camera enabled before it was sent to me.

You could then send it to Richard at Comand.

As NPUK says, the SCN coding system is "clever" in that you can't activate an option on a car that couldn't have the option. As W169 never had camera, it can't therefore be done with SCN code (in fact, the only NTG2.5 with reversing cameras are ML/GL/R class).

I read of some workarounds like setting the car to a different car that has the camera option, but in the post there are not many details. Have you ever heard something similar?
MBWorld.org Forums - View Single Post - Enabling backup camera on NTG 2.5 E350

Thank you for ack'ing me as the poster of the info about SCN coding the ML, it is always nice :)
I think that you are not in UK, but if you are come to see us at comand.co.uk and we can sort it.

You are welcome! I bought already from comand.co.uk the cable kit to install my NTG2.5 in place of Audio20! Works perfectly!

Remember, it needs a NTSC camera.
Damn.... I think I bought a PAL one... I have to recheck...

As Richard said it cant be done by SCN code. That is how it is done in an older car that couldnt have come with NTG2.5 you select a different model that would have had NTG2.5 to do coding.

But as Richard said what you need is "someone with Star Diagnosis developer mode that is actually able to use it to do this coding. Even systems with developer mode may not have the NTG2.5 developer menus, so this is hard to find. It may just be that Autologics diagnostics can do this though."

Yes camera, fakra to rca cable and coding via STAR to enable the video input.

Hello

Can I have step by step the activation via STAR?
I want to do that to my car. I already retrofit audio20 to ntg2.5
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom