Reversed into at a roundabout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rusky

Car
S212 Night Edition
This happened on the way to work today.

Mini roundabout, 4 way standoff with no-one wanting to go then 2 cars go from opposite sides, one turning right across the path of the car in front of me who's now on the roundabout.

The car in front stops, puts it in reverse & proceeds to reverse into me despite me laying on the horn & his car having reversing sensors!

Luckily, it was quite low speed & I can't see any damage.

Could be an insurance scam looming

Mini roundabouts are fundamentally flawed in my opinion. You are supposed to give way to traffic on a roundabout approaching from the right but in practice you have to give priority to the traffic on the approach road to the right - unless of course you want a collision. There is one near me where the approach road to the right is completely unsighted and traffic just flies out. It's an accident waiting to happen. There must be some minimum size where they work safely and that would perhaps be when the roundabout itself could accommodate at least 4 cars.

There’s one near me that I used to pass through at 5:30am, you could do it without losing speed on the wrong side at that time of the morning.

Mini roundabouts are fundamentally flawed in my opinion. You are supposed to give way to traffic on a roundabout approaching from the right but in practice you have to give priority to the traffic on the approach road to the right - unless of course you want a collision. There is one near me where the approach road to the right is completely unsighted and traffic just flies out. It's an accident waiting to happen. There must be some minimum size where they work safely and that would perhaps be when the roundabout itself could accommodate at least 4 cars.

You should visit Swindon in Wiltshire and try this one at rush hour:eek:
Confused the hell out of me first time. Known as the Magic Roundabout
https://external-preview.redd.it/8s...p4&s=788e623e5bd88630cb92ae1404e76966b2836216

There’s one near me that I used to pass through at 5:30am, you could do it without losing speed on the wrong side at that time of the morning.

Fairly standard practice at all times of the day round here.

I hate those mini roundabouts,especially when you get the impasse of cars at all roads,as I think we all know at that point it is the car that was there first that proceeds but of course many do not know,or forget that rule,the one that catches me out is the car that uses a mini roundabout to turn completely round,I would never try it far too risky.

I hate those mini roundabouts,especially when you get the impasse of cars at all roads,as I think we all know at that point it is the car that was there first that proceeds but of course many do not know,or forget that rule,the one that catches me out is the car that uses a mini roundabout to turn completely round,I would never try it far too risky.

There's one near me where doing a 360 is common, you drive down the village High Street looking for a parking space and do a Uey around the mini roundabout to do another pass.

We are just used to it, what do you do? Drive a mile up the road, turn left and cross the road to return?

It's the people who cut the mini roundabout & get ****y at the person who is actually in the right that amuses me. They are on the wrong side of the road at that point!

Yeah but if I did a 360 I'd crash into the village toilets, you wouldn't want that would you?

Not if I was in them, certainly.

Cheap non-PC joke:

Irish bomber pilot on the intercom during a raid in WWII: "Jesus Christ dis flak is t'ick. Let's do a quick t'reesixty and get the hell outa here..."

Last edited:
As 190 says , these things are OK if everyone knows how to use them. There is one at the end of the road near me and due the design its offset and encourages people to drive on the wrong side of it. I was in a mates car when he did just that, I had a right go at him and he genuinely didn't know that cutting off the painted bump in the road was essentially 'driving without due care and attention ,driving on the wrong side of the carriageway' . He said " I thought they were made like that so you didn't have to go around them if the road was clear".

I explained that was probably OK to drive over it if you were driving a bus or a artic, but not a Skoda...he has had a licence for over 30 years...

My nephew was pulled over on this very same junction for making the same maneuver and threatened with being charged with the above offence. He was let off but only after a stern word from plod.

Incidentally it is also one of those ones that people scream through without even noticing it is there, and on a daily basis horns are sounded and fists raised...but so far no (big) accidents...so I guess it must be working then as stupid as it is. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom