Reversible Tuxedo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
You're probably all used to my very weird questions by now... so this shouldn't shock you... but just in case, I'll explain it all.

Looking to figure out what to wear to my wedding, and as I'm a mongrel (read I consider my heritage to be part Indian, part Italian, part British, part Gambian) I was thinking of designing a "fusion" tuxedo.

So my ideal would be something that looks like a traditional tuxedo, but with some "indianish" embroidery on the shawl lapels.

Then, (and this is the question), can it be reversed, inside out, so that the inside is outside. The inside can then be fully embroidered and have an Indian embroidery theme throughout, but with the reverse of the lapels, which is plain.

Does any of that make sense? Does anyone reckon it's feasible, or should I just get two jackets for the tux? (I know nothing of tailoring I must add... so just jotting some ideas down before trying to find someone who can make this. On that note, if anyone knows of a trusted tailor, in the UK or abroad, the info would be gratefully received - my tailor has never done anything outside of a western suit, so I think he may balk at the idea!)

I think the shape and fit will be compromised too much to have a single jacket which is reversible. If you want to have two different looks, I'd go for two jackets. Two jackets may be something your own tailor may take on too?

A single jacket with the more fancy fabric lining with the embroidery on the inside might be a sensible half way. That said, it may be a compromise, and those are best avoided on your wedding day!

A jacket needs a lining - not another jacket.

The only way a switcheroo works is if you are wanting to create a showstopper or magic trick. Neither exudes any class at all.

Get two jackets and relax.

The architecture of a suit does not lend itself to reversibility, the result will be awful.

Have two jackets made - one conventional with the bits you want, one say a Nehru type jacket, or commission a beautiful waistcoat or two in differing materials.

Fear not Spinal! Here is my fathers reversible leather jacket from the 70s that I used to wear often. Needs a good clean but is really beautifully made leather/ suede. Even the belt is reversible. So any things possible. image-2888647728.jpg image-3738923465.jpg

Attachments

• image-1495345118.jpg
    image-1495345118.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I too have a leather / suede jacket (from Connolly). Leather doesn't need the rigidity of suit construction to keep its shape, and is for casual use.

LOL, love some of the responses.

I was about to go for two jackets, but then someone mentioned a waistcoat... not that's an even better idea!

I was staying away from a evening-jacket as I just don't like them, and preferred the tux over the morning jacket as I was planning to wear a cummerbund (again an Indian reference), but an embroidered waistcoat may work even better; and I can then have a fairly "traditional" tux jacket on top made by a tailor I trust...

What's the consensus on tux vs morning suit? SWMBO is suggesting dark midnight blue suit as a color, so I don't think I have much choice there sadly... just need to find some cloth that is dark enough that it looks black in most lights...

>

Wear what you feel good in. I got married in Bavaria, wore a Stockerpoint shirt ( trad. Folks fest) funky trousers and tan leather converse boots that my Mum brought me on a previous visit( so she couldn't complain lol). Despite banning ties I think my Dad and Uncle felt naked without them so insisted on wearing them!

How about something in a dark velvet cloth. Some of the tailored jackets look exquisite .

Never been a fan of velvet myself... I was planning on getting some merino/cashmere blend for the suit, but fairly lightweight (summer wedding in Italy).

Regarding the embroidery, my worry is I'll look like a circus presenter if it's not all Indian or all Western... but then again, I don't really want either.

I need to spend some time actually trying on things I guess... hummm... I keep saying, Vegas would have been easier :p

How about photoshopping some suits/ waistcoats with different materials. You can then see your virtual clothes before you get them made!

Congratulations Spinal! I dont have any advice on what to wear, however wish you and your partner all the best. Hope you have good weather too on the day :)

Cheers
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom