Reversing camera fitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

msc56

Can anyone recommend where I can take my w204 to have a reversing camera fitted in the Derby area.

msc56 said:
Has anyone retrofitted a reversing camera on a facelift w204 with command system. Has this worked ok? The dealer advised me that I should not have it done by third party outfits as it can cause a lot of side effects.

msc56 said:
Has anyone retrofitted a reversing camera on a facelift w204 with command system. Has this worked ok? The dealer advised me that I should not have it done by third party outfits as it can cause a lot of side effects.

That is nonsense provided the third party knows what they are doing. Comand.co.uk, who are also members on here, know far more that dealers do about retrofitting. They have previously fitted all sorts of electronic factory mods to my cars and many others on here and are the only place that I would let dismantle my car. They are in Lightwater in Surrey but it'll be worth the drive to know that it will work properly.

^That.
I would happily take any of our vehicles to Alfie & Richard and come away with peace of mind knowing the work has been done well and correctly. And they can legitimately update the Data Card so the additions shows up on the official MB record.
I would not trust a dealer to do this kind of work well, this side of hell freezing.

Edit: It may seem a long way to go but you could make a short break out of it…….MB world, Brooklands Museum etc etc are all quite close by.

Last edited:
I fitted my mine myself in a couple of hours

It really is quite easy...

I will look back and post up parts required later tonight ...
Comand45_zps9545a874.jpg

Bought this
Sony CCD 520TVL Metal House Front / Side / Rear View Switcher Car Parking Camera | eBay

And one of these
RCA female JACK to Y Fakra SMB Z 5021 male female RG174 Splitter Combiner cable | eBay

Removed rear trim with the number plate lights drilled and fitted to give this
I am sure I had to remove some metal fromthe tailgate so that I could fit it more central than original place that Mercedes for it..

DSC_0125_zpshpyvnuyj.jpg

Last edited:
msc56 said:

I find it hilarious that some dealers say these things. In the main they do this for a few reasons;

1). They cant or dont know how to do it.
2). They believe that only the factory can do these things.
3). They subcontract it out to someone like us and then add a premium

Its especially laughable as we routinely fit reverse cameras for Mercedes dealerships exactly as per factory including datacard update.

I would ask the dealership that told you the above exactly what side effects they are talking about. Id love to hear what they say:rolleyes:

The real beauty of having a reputable firm do this is that we use only genuine Mercedes parts, update the cars datacard accordingly and not least its all covered by your Mercedes warranty.

msc56 said:
The dealer advised me that I should not have it done by third party outfits as it can cause a lot of side effects.

Side effect is it hurts the dealers profits:fail

Mine cost less than £30 total and a couple of hours out of my life..

I have factored in that it is a cheap camera but the quality on the screen is perfect for what I need and if it goes faulty I will just buy another 1 :thumb:

Hardest part was removing command system but once you have done it its really easy..

Is there a trick to getting the metal trim out from the the middle air vents ?
I plan on installing mine soon as soon as the adaptor cables arrives and this is the part I am most worried about.
there is a youtube clip of someone installing a camera to his car. Seems fairly straight forward if you take you time

I take it that one needs to thread a cable from the boot to the command system. This must be a nightmare to do as it needs to go under the carpet and into the dashboard. Any suggestions?

I take it that one needs to thread a cable from the boot to the command system. This must be a nightmare to do as it needs to go under the carpet and into the dashboard. Any suggestions?

Tool up and get stuck in or have someone else do it. No shortcuts there…….I have read about aftermarket (Chinese) wireless cameras but you would have to look on Ebay/Google to see what's what with them.

Is there a trick to getting the metal trim out from the the middle air vents ?
I plan on installing mine soon as soon as the adaptor cables arrives and this is the part I am most worried about.
there is a youtube clip of someone installing a camera to his car. Seems fairly straight forward if you take you time

Yes there is 2 clips I will post up on Sunday where they are.
As working all weekend :thumb:

The hardest part of fitting was getting the wiring through from tailgate to body through the rubbers but its doable with a length of welding rod at some tape;)

Yon run cable along under carpet 5 Min job

Removing air vents was tricky but I will post up pics on Monday wherer the clips are
It is good if you have three arms as well:thumb:

i got my camera and trim from ebay (genuine)
bought the looms from MB (not expensive )
Then fitted not hard at all

total cost around £110-£120

There's a really good youtube video to follow an Aussie guy takes you through step by step. I used them to fit the camera very easy takes a couple of hours.

There's a really good youtube video to follow an Aussie guy takes you through step by step. I used them to fit the camera very easy takes a couple of hours.
Hi Beno, I plan to follow that for the installation of the camera and setting the Comand.
his is a NTG 4 so removes differently to the 4.5 from what I can see.
Got my camera, cable so will look at removing maybe next weekend now

Cheers

I did mine with an eBay one that replaced the boot handle.

Looks great and works perfect, cost me £65 all in!

do you get the reversing guidelines also?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom