Reversing Camera V's Parking Sensors.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hawkwind

Car
CLK 320
Hi there, my W208 convertible doesn't have Parktronic. My previous Saab convertible had parking sensors and with the limited visibility in a convertible I really miss them.

So I want to fit something after market, but can't decide which, sensors or camera?

If anyone has experience of either or both and would like to give me a little advice, or add some useful criticism of either system that would be great.

Also if anyone has fitted an after market system and could guide me through any potential pitfalls :thumb:

Thanks for any help.

Hello Hawkwind,
Your question is a bit of a Marmite. Different strokes for different folks. I now drive for a living and come across reversing cameras regularly. They come in many guises for hgv's. Some are just a clear screen which just shows you what's behind you, others have dots which are supposed to give you an idea of distance to your intended target.
I have front and rear parking sensors on my car and on a personal note I prefer the sensors because you don't have to look at them they soon beep at you when too close.
For me, it's more important to keep my eyes on the task ahead than look at a screen which does need getting used to when you first use one.
Best I can do, hope I have been some help.
Kind regards.

I fitted these
42701d1398442006-w211-reverse-sensor-wiring-help-image-2438768365.jpg

To my A209 - only two but there were four in the box.
I fitted two because I didn't want to take the bumper off and they were easy to get at - just feel up behind the bumper.
They cover all of the rear pretty well.

The dash display looks like this
36710d1369940185-tae-hell-wi-poverty-image-183264069.jpg

They are wireless so no messing around with wires from the back to the front, they have been through two winters without problem, ad were under £30 from ebay. They even come with a hole saw of the correct diameter.
The colour match is also pretty good.

Best advice is to remember that the sensing area is a cone and if they are too low they will detect the road and give false alerts - I tried putting them in the 'splitter' below the bumper and they were alerting all the time.

Easy to connect up (reverse wire and earth) then a tap from the fag lighter and an easy hidden route to the display - no visible wires at all.

I've got factory fitted sensors and camera. I never look at the camera image other than before I start to reverse to double check there are no hidden posts etc.

I rely on a combination of the sensors and mirrors, especially useful for parking between two other vehicles, or walls etc.

I've never been impressed with the Mercedes-Benz system, which relies on a series of lights illuminating in series. There's no beep until very close proximity to the obstruction, so you have to look at the lights - on the dashboard for forward, above the rear screen via the interior mirror for reverse. It's cumbersome and relies on you taking your eyes away from the exterior of the vehicle.

The Jaguar system on my previous car was much better as it was a series of beeps getting closer together as the car got closer to the obstruction. Purely auditory and much safer in my opinion.

I've had both. Contrary to previous post I like the Mercedes system as previous systems I have had that are only audible can leave you wondering what is being detected or where and you finish up having to get out of the car to check (I suppose that where the camera comes in). Its especially frustrating at this time of year when sensors get dirty etc. That said I think the technology has moved on to reduce false alarms.

I do agree though that the Mercedes system doesn't give much audible warning but you generally know from observation that you are getting very close to something but I would agree if you foot isn't very near the brake pedal the chances are you will hit something if you rely solely on the audible. I find the sensors just allow you to go that little bit further with some confidence in tight spaces such as multistoreys

I had a camera on a 4x4 and it was excellent. It had the guides and was really useful. I'm not sure I would be so sure using one without the guides if you plan on using it for visibility as perspective plays a big part.

What I would say is it is camera great lining up trailers and tow balls etc and saved many an argument when we had the caravan! I doubt you will need this though.

The system Ted has looks like the kind of thing I would opt for if I was going to fit one. As others have said its horses for courses

As has been said the camera is not good in its own. Ok as an additional aid. Most benefit of my 360 degree camera system I've found, is that you can make sure your not over hanging double yellows when parking with a quick glance.

I agree with meeb, the MB system not having a beep that increases in frequency as distance decreases is a glaring omission.

cheers, Steve

Are you thinking of rear only or front and rear? If the latter, I would go for sensors. If the former, I would still opt for sensors on the basis that the screen picture is only useful when you are looking at it. Sensors are an aid for that last few inches/centimetres in tight spaces as piece of mind whilst a camera picture is a distraction………..and when some road muck gets on the often single lens, you are back to square one.

Coming from an Audi, I dont like the Mercs parking sensors. The Audi bleep slowly and gradually get quicker as you close in on an object until such time as its a permanent chime. It also turns the volume down on the stereo so you can hear it better.

I'm not getting on with the silent Mercedes system and now wish I had the camera.

The beauty of a well-placed camera is that you can see *exactly* how close you are, down to the millimetre. Opens up parking spaces you wouldn't normally try.

Muck on the lens should not be an issue if it's properly installed (i.e. not in the middle of the bumper like on the F20 BMW), a good camera should have a hydrophobic lens coating too. I've had a rev camera on various vehicles since 2008, only twice have I had issues with having to clear the lens, both on my 4x4.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys, lots of good information and useful insights.

Didn't realise the Merc system is virtually silent, my Saab had the beep with increasing frequency which I'm used to and found practical.

I'll probably go with that. Like Ted, I'm tempted by the wireless systems.

Any instillation tips, where to rout the wires from the sensors to the reverse light feed would be mightily appreciated. Don't fancy removing the rear bumper if it can be avoided. I'll have to get under the rear of the car and have a nose about to see if there's enough clearance behind to rout the wires.

I have a camera on my L200. Originally fitted slightly off centre & the image was worse than having none at all. I have centred it and it is better but quite distance distorted - fish eye? It is useful though for hooking up a trailer.
On the SLK we have mb parktronic which I find quite good with light display & beeps

I can't advise on the 208 but on the 209 there is a grommet below the lights on the offside. Push a wire through from the inside, tape the sensor wires to it and pull back through.
There is plenty of space to put the little box so the installation is totally invisible.

Thanks for the advice Ted, hopefully the 208 has something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom