reversing sensors 'Parktronic'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lofty

Car
MercedesA160/2002
I have just produced a new page 64 on reversing sensors, being aware of all the other sensors on the Mercedes 'A' Class which are there as standard have Mercedes got their priorities wrong in putting such things as oil level sensors on a car when they charge £460 to put 'Parktronic' on a car at the factory.:rolleyes:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/albert.rowe/mypage.64.htm

Does the Merc guarantee allow the fitting of non Merc accessories? Only relevant to cars under 3 years old, of course.

The reason they aren't standard is that some people don't want them, some don't like them, and no doubt Mercedes would argue they give customers the choice. I think the Merc set is good value because you have warning lights on the dash and sound warnings and another for the rear sensors you can see in the rear view mirror. Does the kit include all of that?
Here's a link to an A class owner who hates parktronic. Me, I love it. Wonderful invention.
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=29963

Also bear in mind the A class is a dear car for its size and many buyers might prefer to have the price kept down rather than add to the standard spec. After all even the S class does not have parktronic as standard.

Last edited:
Hawk,
I've not used a car fitted with this facility before I'm impressed and am confident that there would be many a young person alive if the cars involved had been fitted with this important warning devise.
I have only gone for rear sensors, dash display and audible warning, I can see out the front when driving forward it’s not always easy to see what's below the boot area when reversing and although I have driven every thing up to hydraulic platform 37'-00 long (fire appliance) still find judging the remaining distance behind the A class a slight problem, mind you in the fire brigade the rule was you always had another person seeing you back. I think the two photographs I've started my page with sum up my thoughts on the matter
Anything that will avoid an accident of that kind (Mock-up) is worthwhile to my grandchildren and me at least. I'm pleased at least that I have found one more person who likes them.
My real grip with MB is that they fit sensors that are not necessary like the oil level sensor and don't fit what is. But as is normal everybody to their own I know which I'd prefer on the car as standard, even at my age I can pull out a dip stick, I can't lift the car off an injured child. and after all why standard on the c class and not other models? Safety first!! or cost

Last edited:
A useful post as I've just order my "parktronic" kit. Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on.

Hawk,

My real gripe with MB is that they fit sensors that are not necessary like the oil level sensor and don't fit what is. But as is normal everybody to their own I know which I'd prefer on the car as standard, even at my age I can pull out a dip stick, I can't lift the car off an injured child. and after all why standard on the c class and not other models? Safety first!! or cost

Or customer choice? You like them; I do too. Some don't. Merc are not alone. I can't think of anyone who fits them standard. And BTW they are not standard on the new C class according to the MB website last night but are a £605 extra.

Quote 'they are not standard on the new C class according to the MB website last night but are a £605 extra.'Unquote

my apoligies Your correct I took a look and can't even see that they are available as an extra. but when i came back to alter my posted mail with a red face the site wouldn't let me edit my mail, so I have had a red face alnight and have only now managed to log on sorry, I do normally check my facts first.

I should make it clear that my unit is not Mercedes 'Parktronic' but it works fine for all that, I love it already. now where can i get a nodding dog and some dice for my mirror?

Hello,

Fitted them to by bus a few weeks ago, look like the same kit you fitted allthough they came ready sprayed in silver :)

Works very well, I only went for the two sensor kit but seems to cover the rear bumper and so far so good....

I will post pics soon

Thanks, good report

Worry not Lofty. 'He who never made a mistake, never made anything' is the old saying and how true it is.

I can see if we had a 'What are your favourite accessories' thread, you would definitely put parktronic -or your version of it. And so would I. When I was looking for my present car it was on the list of essential extras. No Parktronic, no sale.

Bmw fit them as standard on a lot of their cars.

Mercedes just like to fleece that extra £605 out of you! Well worth the money.

p.s. bmw ones are also better :) so there hawk 20 and you can't say boo to a goose as ive had both. :p

I have just produced a new page 64 on reversing sensors, being aware of all the other sensors on the Mercedes 'A' Class which are there as standard have Mercedes got their priorities wrong in putting such things as oil level sensors on a car when they charge £460 to put 'Parktronic' on a car at the factory.:rolleyes:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/albert.rowe/mypage.64.htm

looks good , well done :)

I find the Merc ones excellent in value and in use.

Last edited:
Is Merc Parktronic similar to BMW where a graphical representation of the car is shown on screen (command) and if so can it be retro fitted. Can anyone recommend a company or individual to do this?

Is Merc Parktronic similar to BMW where a graphical representation of the car is shown on screen (command) and if so can it be retro fitted. Can anyone recommend a company or individual to do this?
Personally I prefer the Merc one because there is a strip on the dash near the screen so you can still be looking out of the window at where you are going and see the parktronic signals at the same time. Lights come up: 1, 2, 3, etc and then when close an audible warning. The rear sensor is just above the rear window. Good so that when looking aft through your rear view window you can see the lights of parktronic. First rate. There are threads on fitting retrospectively.

Older BMWs only used sound, a bleep which increased in frequency as the object got closer.

MB use an LED array for visual indication - and a beep which only comes on during the last few feet of approach.

The current BMW 5 series has a dash display with a completely useless pictogram of the car that only shows two levels of proximity "far" and "near", though this is still combined with the beeper.

I think the ideal would be the MB display with the BMW sound. One of those things I often think of when parking...

Older BMWs only used sound, a bleep which increased in frequency as the object got closer.

MB use an LED array for visual indication - and a beep which only comes on during the last few feet of approach.

The current BMW 5 series has a dash display with a completely useless pictogram of the car that only shows two levels of proximity "far" and "near", though this is still combined with the beeper.

I think the ideal would be the MB display with the BMW sound. One of those things I often think of when parking...

I know the BMW, but only for the rear sensors. I've often thought the same as you above, the combination of the BMW sound and the MB display. But then again, when stopping in front of a pedestrian crossing, or perhaps close to another car in front of you at traffic lights, would one want to hear the continuous sound?

I know the BMW, but only for the rear sensors. I've often thought the same as you above, the combination of the BMW sound and the MB display. But then again, when stopping in front of a pedestrian crossing, or perhaps close to another car in front of you at traffic lights, would one want to hear the continuous sound?

I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps the ideal is the bmw sound on the rear and the MB sound on the front - and the MB displays both front and rear. I have a BMW at the moment - I will see how they handle the front sound issue....

Parktronic
Not fussed and have it on our estate car but not the Sprinter. My own observation is I would like the audible alarm to sound when the vehicle is a little further away. Not a lot! Just a little further, at a guess it is in the region of approximately ten inches or even less? If this was put up to eighteen inches, I for one would not object.

Is it a regular occurrence for very young children to hide behind cars that have the engine running? No doubt there have been freak incidents but these will always occur, but I wonder how many cyclists are injured by ignorant car drivers opening their doors without checking it is safe to do so? I guarantee the figures are way, way in excess of the very rare hazard that has been suggested. Children are not the quietest of characters and will usually make their presence known, plus of course when the driver starts the engine it will make a noise? I am NOT advocating 'Run a Child over week' and I'm very conscious about what is being said, but perhaps we are over reacting to something that very rarely occurs? It's a nice enough reason to fit this option but if we are genuinely concerned about saving lives then I would suggest the following.

My own first must have option would be bi-xenon, thingie headlights, for city slickers I accept they might be a waste of money BUT...... These lights not only offer the driver greater visibility, they also make the vehicle more visibility and statistically :devil: :) far more children run out in front of oncoming vehicles, so let's drive with headlights on at all times? See and be SEEN.

I am NOT having a go at anyone that wants to fit parktronic, but if we are genuinely concerned about saving lives, do we drive in daylight with our headlights activated? (NOT sidelights) and I'm not talking solely about bi-xenon's.

Regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom